Stallions/stud ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok how do you make a GREAT stallion/stud nothing to do with conformation as we know you should have one thats a nice boy but mentially to become a great stud for breeding? Can they be lazy breeders? Immature? with time can they get better with age I am new to the horse world so just wondering. What do you look for or do you train a stallion to be a good stud like for hand breeding to get the job done etc. I have a boy he seems like he wants to just play with the mare instead then after a long bit decides he will try to breed her. Hes 4 yrs old is he just not a good stud or mentally might need more time? He has bred the mare 3 times but someone was here and said she will not settle because he wasn't doing something with his... well you know (area) lol do they need to do somethign or just mount and dismount after a bit?

There are varying degrees of issues with intact boys, some are so driven they can not handle their hormones well and even with the help of a trainer they may end up ill tempered and better off gelded. While they must always respect you first and foremost, the best thing for an inexperienced stud is to put them in with a non aggressive experienced broodmare. Broodmares that lash out with kicking and squeeling may prove to be a bad learning experience for the stud and in some situations they become submissive and afraid to cover a mare. If he is just getting the hang of the ropes I would be inclined to allow him to pasture breed, once he gets the nack of things you can attempt to start hand breeding him on a lead, some boys are submissive and shy and never do perform under these scenarios, even sometimes preferring pasture breeding in the wee dark hours when no one is watching ;)

Could I ask whats great about your stallion that you must keep him as a breeding stallion? Great stallions make the best geldings and are more enjoyable because they don't have hormones. I have several colts and stallions and one by one I am planning on having them gelded. One of the stallions cost quite a bit as a yearling. He did well at local shows but not on National level. Though I tried pasture breeding him for the first time he failed to settle any of the mares. I end up seperating him from the mares because he became too overprotective of the mares. He snaked them and chased them and lost alot of weight. I am sure he was stressful too. Anyways, he is getting gelded next week because it's best for him.

My stallion is a great stallion if you are looking at attitude and maners. I got lucky. He was born that way. However, I have applied to a gelding program to get him and his son gelded. Since he is focused as a stallion he will be that much better as a gelding.

@ mini paradise never said I had a great stallion (i think most think all of their own horses are great dont we
default_smile.png
I asked what makes a great stallion not referring to the conformation part as we all know they should be a nice boy in the conformation department. I am looking at what one looks for in having one be a good majored one and breeding wise

Horses are like people and have different personalities. If you are hand breeding (if you are pasture breeding then I wouldn't worry about it), then I would encourage having a distinct breeding routine. It works a little like fore-play and will help produce a better libido.

I would encourage exposing him to very receptive mares that stand and breed easily. Getting kicked, even just once, can leave a permanent mental scar. Frequently stallions will go from slow breeding chickens, to overly aggressive idiots, so allowing the broodmares to teach him some manners in the future isn't all bad.

Dr Taylor

Latest posts

Back