Stallion That Has Been Gelded

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-My-Minis

Reaction score
I have a coming 3 yr. old stallion that was gelded the first week of December. He has completely healed up and has had no complications from the surgery. How long should I keep him seperate from my mares?

Thanks,

Linda

This is not really breeding season, so you may not have a problem turning him out with them now, however if he was an aggressive or lively stallion you may want to wait a couple of months. Where my mini lives, their newly gelded horse was still trying to mount mares a couple months after he was gelded. You just have to make a judgement, depends on the horse.

I wouldnt put him out with them unless you want foals! I have some mares wanting the stallions pretty bad right now! But I dont want freezeing cold and have babies.

I gelded my little Timmy (2 years old) fall of 08 and I waited approximately 6 weeks before I turned him in with 8 mares.

No problems at all and lets just say he had a very happy holiday season
default_aktion033.gif

IMO, it depends on your gelding's temperament. I've got a young stallion that lives with a bred mare and he is so respectful that he would be one who could go right out with mares; on the other hand I used a different young stallion for breeding one year and then had him gelded, and he was such a wild boy that I kept him away from the mares for several months to be safe. He was great once I finally let him go out with the mares. You know your horse best; you could always try it (if there is plenty of room for the mares to get away from him if necessary, and the footing isn't too icy-- safety first!). It helps if you put the newly-gelded boy next to the mares for awhile so they are more used to each other before living together.
default_smile.png
Good luck!

i have no experience with mini stallions but my big APHA gelding was not gelded until age 5 years. he had been used as a breeding stallion. even at the age of 27, if he's around a mare in heat, he still thinks he's mr. studly. he's great under saddle, never so much as a nicker but i will NOT turn him out with mares. and no, he's not proud cut.
default_smile.png

I had two gelded on 12/21/07. The 3 yr old (who had never bred a mare) is already out with the girls and has been for a couple of weeks. He is very submissive and shows no stallion-like behavior. I am not worried about him at all. However, the 20 year old (who most likely had bred mares many times) is still screaming, pawing, etc. I let him walk through the mares this weekend (on lead) and he dropped!
default_new_shocked.gif
So, NO mares for him yet!!! He's not ready!!!
default_wink.png

My vet said to wait 45 days to ensure they didn't have viable sperm, but even when the old guy gets past 45 days, if he's still acting like that, he can't go with the mares because I don't want any unnecessary breeding - it can lead to infections and STDs IMO. I keep my mares and stallions very "clean" so I would never want a gelding "going through the motions" with any mares. But that's just me. Some people do allow it.

My vet said 60 days if I was concerned about him still having viable sperm. She said he would likely be safe after 30 days, but she always recommended 60 days just to be sure.

So if your concern is that he might still be able to breed them according to my vet you should be able to turn them out together any day now.

Well Storm was gelded this spring and I have seen him mount Sable a few times only a month ago. She lets him have it with her back hooves and then he quits, whereas a stallion would be more persistent. I hope he gets the idea out of his head that he is a stallion still and leave my poor girl alone.
default_rolleyes.gif

It is more than safe to to him out with the mares now, I just had a 14 year old stallion and a 3 year old done. My vet said it was safe to put them out 1 week after, but I waited till each was healed up. The 3 year old went out about two 1/2 weeks after being done, the 14 year old,I waited for over a month, but they are out with the mares and are happy to not be confined anymore!!

It's not just the sperm, it's the temperment of the horse too. You dont want to turn out a gelding that is going to tear everyone up! Depends totally on the horse, and you will have to play it by ear and watch them. Can you put him next to the mares and watch how he does with a fence in between?

We had a gelding party in November and one of them was a seven year old who has always been full of beans, and used to breed a few times. He still cannot be even turned out with geldings right now.

Our gelding was done at 7 and had been used for breeding. He's now 20 and he still tries to mount my coming-3 yr old filly. She can out run him and kicks at him. (In seperate pen)He once dropped when we had a mare that had been given regumate here for breeding ( she was SOOO ready for anyone). So some just never "get over" that studdy feeling!

There was a vet that told me that it takes one month for each year old that a horse is, to become adjusted to being a gelding. So according to that, a three year old would take three months, a five-year old five months, etc. Now, for some horses this is excessive, but for some (especially those that have done extensive breeding) it may be right on track. Just an idea for you to consider.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back