Stallion in with Geldings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
I am getting 3 of my horses gelded today and leaving 1 a stallion.

Does anyone here run their stallion in with their geldings.

The stallion is 2 and has always run with the other 3.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

I have learned so much from this forum and anybody that want to email me can I appreciate

all the help.

This will be of course after they heal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it would fine. If they have always run together. Then again, he will realise he is the big man now, being the only stallion and may beat up on your geldings. I know my stud who just turned 2 beats up on my geldings, even though they are both way bigger then him. I had to remove him because he left marks on them right down to the skin!
default_new_shocked.gif
Then again ALL horses are different. I'd say try it for awhile and if you see anything going on, remove him.
default_smile.png
Others may tell you different, everyone has their own opinion. Good luck!

It depends on the stallion/geldings. We have kept them together, but now keep the geldings with the mares.

The most recent one (gelded 2 months ago at 15) has his 'herd' within the herd. He's very non-aggressive with the other geldings other than his son that was gelded at the same time - I think he thinks he's still a stallion.

On the other hand, my friends stallion who is here for breeding, actually broke the fence between him and my gelding Woody and released Woody into his mare band (pasture breeding), so go figure. He's very stallion aggressive (the stallion), but apparently likes Woody.

If they grew up together they will get along and act in a very different manner than they would if one was a "true" harem stallion. In the wild, they'd form a bachelor herd, which is a totally normal, non-testosterone driven group. Once you separate them, breed, then reintroduce them, they will form a different type of herd, one much more stud-oriented.

Our stallion and one gelding (both 4) are stalled next to each other. When we turn out, we turn them out together and boy do they play hard and have a great time. The gelding actually is harder on our stallion and he is smaller. It is pretty funny. They give each other good exercise and play time without hurting each other. I really do think it depends on the boys that run together. You will just have to watch them.

I also have my stallion in with 5 geldings, they get along wonderfully.

They all love Sammy (stallion), he is a very sweet, gentleman to everyone.

So I would think they should do fine together as well, especially since they know each other all ready.

Give it a try, and just keep an eye on how they are doing with one another....

Thanks everybody. I will put them back together when they are healed and hope it works out.

If I survive the walking them.

I have a 3 year old stallion and a 3 year old gelding and they were pasture playmates as foals and their stalls are next to each other and they can see each other over the tops of the stalls and even reach in and groom each other. They get turned into a small pasture together, with the mares right next to them, and don't have any problems at all, but if I turn them into a dry lot together, with the mares right next to them then they rear up and bite each other's legs. Not vicious, but I don't want either one of them hurt, so they go into dry lots separated by a woven fence.

I also have two 2 year old stallions together, in another pasture next to the mares, and they will fight with each other and run up and down the pasture for twenty minutes, but then they get down to eating. They are stalled in a large 10 x 12 stall with a steel gate separating them, and if I take one out the other cries for him. They are really inseparable! But, they were together since birth.

Then there is my senior stallion who was not born here. Can't put him with any other stallions or geldings, but his drylot is right next to my gelding, separated by a steel gate, and they never fuss or fight through the gate, so most likely they'd be fine together, but I'm not taking chances.

my stallion wont even tolerate my yearling geldings , if he is in a pasture within view of any male he runs the fence all day ,

Latest posts

Back