Stallion Breeding Age?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramblehill

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about AMHR rule when a stallion is old enough to begin breeding. I'm sure the forum has covered this before, but please humor me. Does he have to be 3 years old before beginning to breed or does he have to be 3 when the foal is born to register it? Thanks so much!

My understanding is he can breed in his 2nd year turning 3 when foals hit the ground

My understanding is the same as Lisa's. He needs to be at least 3 years old before you can apply to register his foals.

MA

AS far as AMHR ...Not only does he need to be 3 when his foals hit the ground, you need to have him brought from temp to perm. with his paperwork. I went through the old threads on this awhile ago. My boy is 2 this month and I wanted to make sure I will be able to reg. his offspring if he was bred this summer. As far as I know, and from what I was able to gather, AMHA has no requirement as far as age, just as long as his papers are updated when he is 5.

Promise

Would that be from January of his 3rd year or after his actual 3rd birthday? For example he was born in May and his foal is born in March of his 3rd year - would that foal be registerable? I know they changed the ruling somewhat.

Yes that foal is registurable. THe foal has to be born after Jan 1 of the stallions 3rd year. HOwever it can not be registured until the stallion is brought permanate.

keep in mind you cannot bring the stallion perm until his actual birthday

I could be wrong but I am almost positive (for whatever that is worth :bgrin ) that at convention this year they changed the HAVING to be permanant rule however the age rule still stands

Boy am I glad someone asked this because I was wondering what I would do if Timmy has an "oopsie" :new_shocked:

He's a very sexual little feller you know :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could be wrong but I am almost positive (for whatever that is worth :bgrin ) that at convention this year they changed the HAVING to be permanant rule however the age rule still stands
Don't know when the convention was but as of Dec 2005 the office at AMHR was still telling us that I couldn't register my filly until the stud was brought permanent.

I thought these new rules were suppose to be in the Journal, I can't seem to find them anywhere :no: .

Boy I sure hope they changed the pernament ruling, the age thing was ok, the pernament thing had so many loop holes in it.

It is really NOT difficult. The horse for show purposes etc is 2 as of Jan 1st. His actual birthday is May. So, you breed a mare in april & she foals in March next year. You cannot register the foal until after the stallion is brought to his permanent papers in May. So, you wait 3 months to register the foal-- lots do that anyway.

Here are the problems to be aware of.

1 -- IF you sell that stallion & the new owner does NOT bring him to his permanent papers then you will have an unregisterable foal.

2. If the stallion dies between Jan 1st & his actual birthday -- then what?? We had this happen with AMHA & had quite the little run around to get the foal registered. BUT, they did finally register her.

Latest posts

Back