Squatters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
219822_1859554060550_1591885138_31779004_8061117_o.jpg

Not what you'd thought it would be is it?

Lol...we have so many birds because we are smack in the middle of the woods. I do love watching them, it's very soothing. We had to hang turkey decoys on our back covered porch (owls wouldn't work) because daily I was power washing bird pooh off my porch, wicker, and sliding glass doors. These nests showed up the other day, the ladder is attached to our pole barn/garage 10 ft from our house. We debated on taking the ladder down because lets face it, they do make a big mess and pooh alot (and bird pooh does have many diseases) but we decided to let it go. I have yet to recieve rent from any of these squatters and no sign of increasing their family... yet...but I don't think it'll be long. They are safe here as I know this ladder will not be moved anytime in the near future even though the gutters definately need a cleaning.

Just thought it was cool, thanks for letting me share. (there are a total of 8 nests, I didn't get them all in the pic)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking robins. or, a Pair of robins that wouldn't make up thier mind. LOL. Lets hope the whole family doesn't show up! ;)

we have a pair that comes back every year. we dont know if 7 years later, it is the same pair or if it is kids that grew up.........or if we are just sentimental fools. LOL. I like to think it is thier kids, keeping the original nesting site going.
default_rolleyes.gif

I too was thinking it could be just one bird doing this. Because the last couple nests are pretty thin and they haven't added to them. Why would one pair (I'm assuming male/female make the nest but I really don't know and haven't researched it) make so many nests? There are at least 5 really nice ones, thick and ready for some eggs. If this is just one bird (or pair if that is how it works) what in the heck is wrong with it/the two that it/they would make so many nests? I do believe it's a Robin, we've had tons show up in the past couple weeks. One committed suicide on my back porch at the sliding glass door. I don't know if it was trying to fight or procreate because I was at work, but it slammed itself on the sliding glass door (seeing it's reflection I'm guessing) at least a hundred times. There was an oily substance all over my door like someone dabbed it w/olive oil...from the feathers perhaps? So much pooh on the glass it looked like someone dumped a bucket of white paint on it, and a little blood. Crazy birds! I guess that's what happens when the hormones are flowing.

Wow, I wonder if he thought it was another male and he was "fighting" it? Poor guy. Also, the make makes the nest (I am pretty sure) and then gets the female to approve. I wonder if she didnt like any of the ones he built, and towards the end, he was like "to heck with it"? LOL. Looks cool though, all lined up like that!

Barn swallows will build one or more "fake" nests in a shed--then they have their one "real" nest. I think the idea is the multiple nests will discourage other birds from deciding to build in that shed. The only difference in the nests is the "real" one gets used, the fake ones just sit there unused.

I don't know how any other birds do this same thing, but that is perhaps one possibility in this case.

Very cool picture!
default_aktion033.gif

I have a dove that made a nest in our garage gutter! I chased her away every time I went out side for a week straight! But to no avail, she's back! She has made it throught 2 super rain storms but I think it's because where in the gutter she is. She's at an end after the down spout. Still she makes me nervous being in there! Ding darn birds!!!
default_wink.png
But I'll take all the crazy bird stuff if it means we REALLY get spring! The last few days have been so beautiful I hope it stays!!
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back