spottie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
As you all know, we had a serious injury to Spot, the larger of my two boys. He lacerated his right hind foot really badly. Spent 10 days at the hospital. The vet came out last Thursday evening to change the bandages and to reasses the wound. In the beginning there was some talk that if the joint became infected that he would have to be put down. Then, when we passed that hurdle, the would did not seem to be getting a viable blood supply so she said he may loose as much as 75% of the flap that was cut. Then later she moved it down to losing only 25%. Well, the latest (and greatest) is that when she took off the bandages there was no dead tissue, other than a tiny bit around the suture line. He will regain 100% of his leg. How wonderful is that? She did say that since the metal actually cut into his hoof, where the hoof meets the leg, most likely he will have a deformed hoof. Whether that is permanent or not will remain to be seen. But we went from possibly losing him to having a deformed nail. What a huge relief. He is still stalled and not happy about it, but I will continue to do exactly as the doctor says because she seems to know what she is doing. I am thrilled!!!

I will have the ferrier out when the last of the bandages come off and we will discuss what will need to be done, trimming wise to help prevent more damage to his hoof.

She told me what he damaged but I don't remember....the "something" band?

She said it was sorta like smashing your finger in the door and having a wierd fingernail for a while. Hopefully, that will self correct like his leg did.

As a novice and certainly no expert on horses, I was terrified about the possible outcome. This was most certainly not something I could have self treated.

But I am so relieved to know that he will not have any lasting difficulties except for a deformed hoof in two places. It could have been oh so much worse.

Shelley

WHOOO HOOO!!!! OMG that's awesome! I'm so happy!!! Thank you for the good news on Spottie! I was worried about him.

Coronary band? Glad he will be ok!
default_wink.png
:

Woo Hoo, good news.

She told me what he damaged but I don't remember....the "something" band?

She said it was sorta like smashing your finger in the door and having a wierd fingernail for a while. Hopefully, that will self correct like his leg did.
Sounds like she's talking about the coronary band (or coronet band); it where the hoof meets the leg and as she said its the region that produces the hoof wall.

My half-Arab gelding damaged his coronary band in a spot where a nail head got stuck (don't ask, if a horse can find something to get hurt on, they often do); he has a funny little nob on that hoof where the band was damaged, but he is sound and has very few hoof issues (sometimes the bump completely grows out and is gone for awhile, then he must bump that area or something as it will appear again).

My AQHA gelding tried to cut off his heel a couple years ago, so damaged his band in the heel region and he has recovered quite nicely, his heel does grow a little weird, but he is sound.

I love to hear of good outcomes..so happy for you and your little one, Mary

That is excellent news!! Even not as a novice, that can be horribly scary and nerve wracking! Glad to hear he is healing well! :aktion033:

Super news!! So glad to hear a good outcome ahead. Sometimes I think these little guys like to make fools out of us and the vets. We had a hoof injury so bad the vet was talking about putting the horse down and permanent damage. My mare went on to prove him wrong (Thankfully!) I guess they teach us never to give up.

Latest posts

Back