Splashed Overo Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyelle

Reaction score
Hi :saludando:

We are in the process of buying a new mare, her sire is an obvious Splashed White Overo who is LWO Negative and her dam is a silver bay no white markings.

The mare has bright blue eyes but no other white markings could this mean that she carries the Splash gene? wasn't sure if it can be expressed this minimally
default_unsure.png
:

Thanks in advance
default_wub.png
:

Yes! The blue eyes are definitely a splashed white trait. I've had minimally marked splashed whites with as little white as an inside nostril and a blue eye.
default_smile.png

Thanks Becky
default_smile.png

so does that mean that she could possibly produce a loud splashed white when bred to a solid stallion?

i love splashed whites! definately my favorite paint pattern! i just bought a splash tovero gelding! good luck!

Thanks Becky
default_smile.png

so does that mean that she could possibly produce a loud splashed white when bred to a solid stallion?
Yes.....it IS possible for any horse who carries the Splash gene (even in minimal form) to produce loud babies.
default_yes.gif
: Kickapoos Nickelodeon is a good example. He is a Silver Black with the only white being a snip & one 1/2 white coronet marking, and brown eyes. He has sired several LOUD Splash blue-eyed babies, even when bred to solid mares.
default_smile.png

Here's my example of that from this year -

Erica's Take a Look at Me

e9d1e384.jpg

ea29eeb8.jpg

Sire- Cross country Take My Breath Away - silver bay, blaze, blue eyes, some little socks - son and grandson of Lazy N Redboy; but came back LWO neg

stalli28.jpg

Dam- Erica's Just Wait and See - Sorrel w/scattered white hairs (if "clipped" looks red roan, if not looks sorrel) blaze, one hind small white. Sire is Erica's Prince Charming, sorrel, star with blue eyes, dam is a b/w pinto with roaning

f7ba39d5.jpg

:new_shocked: wow that is amazing he is a stunner
default_yes.gif
: I would be in heaven if she had something like him :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a loud Splash pattern, the horse has to be homozygous for the Splash gene. The Splash pinto gene is different from the Tbiano pinto gene, in that Tobiano is a true 'dominant' gene, whereas Splash is an 'incomplete dominant'. This is a quote from the Equine Color site, "Splash has been researched and it has been determined that Splash is controled by an incomplete dominant. Meaning the physical expression will be different depending on the dosage of the gene. Heterozygous Splashed Whites have only one copy of the gene and will have minimal markings..." A heterozygous Tobiano can be a colorful as a homozygous Tobiano, but a heterozygous Splash will only have minimal markings. It must be homozygous for Splash to display the wild Splash color pattern.

So, two minimally marked (heterozygous) horses (with no other white patterns) have a 25% chance of having a wildly marked (homozygous) Splash foal, a 50% chance of a minimally marked (heterozygous) foal, and a 25% chance of a solid foal.

A minimally marked (heterozygous) horse bred to a truly solid horse, has a 50% chance for a minimally marked (heterozygous) Splash foal, and a 50% chance for a solid foal. Theoretically, a minimal Splash horse bred to a solid will NOT have a loud Splash baby. However, since a heterozygous Splash has only minimal markings, its markings may be so small that it is mistaken for solid,. This is probably what has happened when people breed a horse that shows minimal markings to one that APPEARS 'solid' and get a loud Splash foal . Erica's horses are examples. Although the horses appear 'solid', they have white markings that could indicate that they are heterozygous for Splash. Hence, the appearance of a homozygous foal. The foal would have inherited a Splash gene from both parents.

The mare you are discussing is a perfect example of Splash genetics at work. The sire was an obvious Splash, so is homozygous. The dam was a solid. The mare has to be heterozygous for Splash as she got one Splash gene from her sire, but no Splash gene from her dam. She would have to be bred to a horse that also carried the Splash gene in order to produce a flashing Splash foal.

However, I think that even heterozygous Splash contributes to making other pinto patterns 'louder'. So, it can help create an even more colorful foal when it 'adds on' to Tobian and Frame, etc. But, just by itself, Splash needs to be homozygous to be flashy.

I guess my stallion is minimum Splash then. Since he shows the wild Splash pattern, and therefore would be *thought* to be homozygous for Splash, (if that is true) I thought that he would throw at the very least, a tiny snip (if he is homozygous for Splash) out of a solid mare, but one of his fillies this year is totally solid. I'm not saying he can't carry a pattern other than Splash. I'm just trying to figure this out.

But he sure looks (to me) like the horses that are considered to be homozygous for Splash.

So either he is not Splash or he gets his wild Splash pattern from a Splash/Sabino combo. Sire has a Splash snip and dam has bald face and blue eyes and Lotto has blue eyes and a white belly.

Now I don't know what to think since he sired a SOLID filly.

website1002025.jpg

website1002026.jpg

Is he a Splash or not? :lol: HELP me understand please! :aktion033:

I wish they would come up with a test for everything!

I too have gotten wild color or blue eyes out of "solid" color horses. Now I know that any little marking means a pattern. It's fun seeing what you get when the foals are born!

Sammyelle, I bet you get some neat patterned foals from that mare!
default_yes.gif
:

. DONA HELP! :saludando:

I guess my stallion is minimum Splash then. Since he shows the wild Splash pattern, and therefore would be *thought* to be homozygous for Splash, (if that is true) I thought that he would throw at the very least, a tiny snip (if he is homozygous for Splash) out of a solid mare, but one of his fillies this year is totally solid. I'm not saying he can't carry a pattern other than Splash. I'm just trying to figure this out.

But he sure looks (to me) like the horses that are considered to be homozygous for Splash.

So either he is not Splash or he gets his wild Splash pattern from a Splash/Sabino combo. Sire has a Splash snip and dam has bald face and blue eyes and Lotto has blue eyes and a white belly.

website1002025.jpg

website1002026.jpg

I too have gotten wild color or blue eyes out of "solid" color horses. Now I know that any little marking means a pattern. It's fun seeing what you get when the foals are born!

default_yes.gif
:

What ever he is i think hes gorgeous
default_smile.png
same with your ones there Erica do you think i could fit them all in my suitcase hehe

website1002025.jpg

website1002026.jpg

default_yes.gif
:

Lotto is most definitely SPLASH, Robin. Whether he is homozygous or not, I don't know. He certainly is showing all the signs of being homozygous.....I know his sire carries both splash & sabino. Not sure about his dam. I think she is a "Hawk" daughter, so if she carries Splash.....homozygous Splash is a "possibility" for Lotto. But.....if he threw a completely solid filly, then probably not. His wild markings just may be the result of Splash & Sabino together. You had him tested for LWO, didn't you?

Robin, check your 'solid' filly for a snip inside the nostril. I have had more than one foal who had this. In fact, I'm showing a colt this year for WeeOkie who has an inside nostril snip. Definitely a splashed characteristic!

Thank you Dona! I know he's Splash and looks Splash. Except for that one filly, he sired foals with Splash them just like that homozygous rule says. But the one solid filly made me think either that "rule" isn't true or he can't be homozygous for Splash. To me, he IS Splash.
default_smile.png

I have one other solid black filly but she has one blue eye LOL!

Yes his dam is Reeses Velvet Hawk.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Becky! How far up in the nostril? There is nothing visual by looking at her nose but I'll go out there and look up her nose and see! I didn't think to look there!

Sammyvelle, sorry I asked my question on your thread. You had a good thread with good info going and I used your thread to ask my question. Hope you don't mind.

Just have a good check for men in white coats before you start trying to peer up your horses noses with an endoscope or even a hand torch, folks!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for responding
default_smile.png
I have learnt alot from this thread
default_wub.png
:

reo~ Thats no problem, your boy is gorgeous by the way :new_shocked:

Thank you Sammyvelle
default_yes.gif
:

Jane... :bgrin Girl, looking for the men in white coats is a daily occurance here! tee hee

Well the filly has no white in her nostrils. No white on her noonie. If she has white, I can't find it.

I have had foals born solid and then develop a star or a snip when they're older. Could the filly maybe supressing it until later? I don't know much about the splash overo gene so am trying to get it all figured out! There are so many different overo patterns
default_yes.gif
: I have a solid bay filly born this year by my few spot. He is a true few spot and I am waiting for the filly to develop even the slightest appy charactistic...anytime soon would be nice! Not a single white hair or darker than normal hair...no mottling...not striped hooves...very little sclera. Could REO's filly be holding out as well?

Actually there are only four PINTO patterns.

Splash

Frame

Tobiano

Sabino

None are related to one another genetically. (As far as we so far know!!)

Latest posts

Back