Spin-Off Westminister

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betcha you folks are probably tired of hearing about this
default_sad.png
, but here are some Pros and Cons about what most probably went into the decisions that were made by the owners/handlers/judge regarding the dismissal of the dogs at Westminster.

The Cairn and Airedale were not excused because of a problem with the dogs (they are superior examples of the breed
default_yes.gif
), but because of the close connection Peter has had with the dogs and/or the airedale's handler, Ernesto. Ernesto was a member of the infamous "Green Team" or "Green Machine" for many years. When Peter retired, Ernesto leased Peter's kennel. They live next door to each other and I believe they share the same address. I'm sure Peter sees these dogs nearly every day. No matter that 6 mo. has elapsed, it is just not the right thing to do.

Peter and Ernesto and the Green Team handled Romeo, the Cairn, in the past. Even if time had elapsed from the time Peter showed Romeo himself, it is just not kosher to do that and there would have been an outcry from the fancy. :DOH!

In "regular" dog shows, these two dogs do NOT attend the dog shows where Peter is judging.

That is an understanding between Ernesto, the owners and Peter. If the Airedale and Cairn would have truly competed in the Group, there could be two scenarios:

• If they were shown, but because of knowing there were close "connections" between the handler and the judge, the judge did not "use" them in the Group, there would be speculation why the dogs were not "good enough" for Peter. That is not the case because they are both excellent dogs, as mentioned earlier. It would have been an embarrassment for the dogs NOT to be placed as they are both top notch.
  • If they were shown, competed and the Group and got Group Placements from Peter, there would have been such an outrage from the dog fancy! Peter might have lost many future judging engagements because of this, and Ernesto would have been vilified for showing to Peter. Not a good situation for either. The dog show crowd at Westminster would have cried "foul" loudly and clearly if he judged those dogs.There would have really been nasty repercussions if it HAD happened.
Now here are some reasons that the dogs were not handed off:

• If the dogs had been handed off to alternate handlers, there would still be the "appearance of impropriety." Peter still KNEW it is Ernesto's dog. Peter knew Romeo, the Cain. Because the handlers in question lease Mr. Green's boarding facility from him, then changing handlers would not have solved the conflict. The dogs would still live on Mr. Green's property and Peter would be receiving money, in an offhand way,from these dog's owners when they pay board to Ernesto and Ernesto pays rent to Peter.(Is this getting involved, or what?)
  • Handlers are paid an exorbitant amount of money to show dogs and especially have high fees for Westminster. They get a fee for showing in the breed, a bonus for winning Breed, BOS, or Award of Merit at Westminster. They get a bonus for even showing in the Group, and a bigger bonus for placing in the Group. A handler would be reluctant to hand off a dog and split the money with anyone.
  • Owners and handlers have a contract with one another. Most of these handlers have shown these dogs for at least a year. Westminster is not a show where you would just hand off a dog. It is a crowded, stressful, insane venue and dogs and handlers can both get rattled.You don't want to upset your dog with a change.In front of the cameras and the big crowd, a dog might make a monkey out of the handler or the owner if they were not used to the substitute. Nobody wants that.
Now, why would the owners let this happen?

• For a year, owners and handlers have know Peter is judging the Group. They KNEW in advance that IF they got through the Breed, there would be a conflict of interest, BUT it is an honor to be asked to show at Westminster, so they entered this prestigious show knowing what MIGHT happen. They were lucky enough to win the Breed and that will forever be in the Record Book.
  • Now, I'll bet you a hundred bucks that when these dogs did win the Breed, the handlers and owners went straight to the AKC Rep and said, "now what should we do?" I'll bet they were told to go into the Group and expect to be excused. They were to go into the group in order to have their dog represent the Breed, and to let the audience see who won the Breed, but not to compete. Even David Frei knew this because of what he announced when it happened. I'm sure it had been thoroughly discussed.
    Peter, as Group judges are, was sequestered until just before judging. He did not know WHAT DOG would be representing each Breed. Again, I'll bet that Peter had told Ernesto months before that if his dog "got thru" that he could not judge it. I'll bet some of the other handlers in the Group said that if Peter judged the Airedale and the Cairn that they would protest. The handlers knew what was going to happen. The owners knew what was going to happen. The AKC Rep knew what was going to happen. The other handlers knew what was going to happen. The announcer knew what was going to happen. The I think the only ones not in on what was happening was the TV viewers and casual spectators.

Know what? It is a Win/Win situation. Here's what is happening now:
  • Peter is being canonized as an "honest" judge for excusing them.
    default_aktion033.gif
    He'll get recognition for this and future judging assignments. (He is doing BIS at Crufts in 2009)
  • The Airedale and Cairn are getting talked about almost as much as Stump. Everyone is saying how good they were and how they shoulda, coulda, woulda!
    default_aktion033.gif
    There is so much talk about what wonderful specimens they are. The owners are being lauded for their sportsmanship.
    default_aktion033.gif
    There is as much written about the Airedale and Cairn on the dog bulletin boards as about Stump. Nobody, no judge, nobody will forget about the Airedale and Cairn. You can expect them to be big winners in the future!
    default_aktion033.gif
    Stump will probably go back into retirement.
Betcha.

Funnybunny...

BINGO we have a winner! Those wonderful comments you posted are exactly my sentiments of why the dogs "left" the ring. I guess I could have re-iterated better in my original post, but the 2 dogs are superior examples of their breed. I myself, would, knowing that Peter Green was judging, still allow my dogs to show, as there is nothing to be sneezed at a Best of Breed at WESTMINSTER!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and GO Stump...I thought he was darling, never saw a Sussex in my life and liked him in the group! And when he sat up "pretty" before the shots where taken, oooh my heart melted.

Thanks again Funny for the insightful posts!

Kim

PS I have a show Cairn, which is why I had my lip out, but was happy to see the Bully still make it around the ring (yes imagine, Cairns and Bulldogs LOL)

I did not realize that Ernesto actually leased the property from Peter ( I thought he bought it) If he was leasing it then that would fall into the "doing business with"

Not sure how I would have handled that as an owner. Most likely would have skipped the Garden completely. And yes some of the Best dogs do skip it. The IG that won our Nationals this year was not shown ( I assume the owner knew she was not the judges type, she showed her brother instead)

Personally I think the Garden is not always the best of the best. Yes for the most part all the top dogs are there, but not all top dogs are truely the best representation of their breed. Unless you have a fairly rare breed it is very hard to get to the top without money and/ or politics even with a dog that is a great representative of its breed. It is one of the biggest reasons I no longer special dogs. I dont have the money and I refuse to play the politics.

thank you funnybunny!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
i never could have written all that out but i had the same thoughts.

thanks again !!!

Personally I think the Garden is not always the best of the best. Yes for the most part all the top dogs are there, but not all top dogs are truely the best representation of their breed. Unless you have a fairly rare breed it is very hard to get to the top without money and/ or politics even with a dog that is a great representative of its breed. It is one of the biggest reasons I no longer special dogs. I dont have the money and I refuse to play the politics.
Wow, you hit the nail on the head imo!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I am finding that a lot of the time it is who has the $$$ to make it to the Gardens (or getting the Group placings anywhere, especially in certain breeds). I'm not saying some of the best aren't there...but in my breed, I have been disappointed with what has shown at Westminster.....and this year, the one that went BOB shouldn't have, imo. But I wasn't the judge. I would have put the BOS up for BOB, and in the past I haven't been that crazy the dog that went BOS, but I thought he was a better example than Rory was. Even the dog that got an AOM was a NICE dog!!! But that's showing for ya though!
default_biggrin.png

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back