Mingus at the Evergreen show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
The morning of the Evergreen show dawned with a mad panic...

In typical susanne fashion, I was absolutely swamped the week before the show and realized I had way too much to do the night before. Daryl kindly dropped his trailer off so we could load it before he returned at 5:30 Friday morning, so we should have been in good shape. I had laundry to do for both people and horse, gear to pack, feed to bag up, a cooler to fill...but first I absolutely had to take a short nap...

...the next thing I knew, Keith was telling me it was 5:00 am...OH @#*%!!

We flew about madly, stowing horse things in the trailer, setting out things to go in the van, feeding and watering dogs, cats and stay at horses...amazingly we were almost ready when Daryl arrived (since I had no time to make coffee, we did have to stop for a latte...a non-negotiable issue.) Last minute grooming had to wait for when we arrived, while boot and halter polishing would be done on the way. Laundry was just wishful thinking.

As always, Daryl seems to see us at our worst, but he still puts up with us! (So long as we fix our headlights, right Daryl?)

Once again, Mingus was a trooper, loading and travelling like a pro, hopping out once we arrived and lunging willingly to loosen up his road legs. Despite our tardiness and panic, the show office had yet to open; the show steward, however, was all set up for measuring. Mingus is right at 38 inches, so I always hold my breath at this point, but I could have saved myself that stress, as he cleared the stick easily.

Despite pre-registering, checking in seemed to take forever, with updating AMHR membership and getting my amateur card (my disorganization alone should have vouched for my amateur status!). As I signed up for an additional class -- color -- a voice behind me said "Oh you definitely have to show him in color!" It was Tracy of Flying G; we had been stalled next to one another last year at this same show, and talked briefly, but didn't realize at the time who each other was.

Finally, I was free to prepare Mingus for his public (he always seems certain everyone has come to see him). I had bathed and done last minute trimming (halter path, muzzle, etc.) at home, so I just needed to brush and wipe him down with a damp rag, blacken hooves and brush out his mane and forelock. I use just a tiny bit of "product" on him...a touch of "Shine" on muzzle and ear tips and at the base of his mane (doubling as holding gel for the pieces of hair that refused to lay flat). He was already glossy enough to blind the pilots flying overhead from the nearby military bases.

Since we were showing out of Daryl's trailer, we were in the parking lot and easy for others to find. Liz, Martin, Colton and Brandon all came by, then Shannon of Show Offs By Shannon, products under one arm, and her adorable Silky Terrier, Joey, under the other. She couldn't stay for the show, but stopped by to say hi. Keith told me that someone else had come by and recognized Mingus, and from his description, I knew it must have been Leia, and sure enough, she came back by, Kody in tow, on their way to the wash rack. While I had never met Leia other than online through the forum, it seemed as if we had known one another all of our lives, other than the fact that I mispronounced her name (sorry, Leia!). And Kody!! What a sweet, smart, wonderful horse -- beautiful and with tons of personality...my kind of mini for sure. No doubt, these two knew each other in a former life.

We were almost ready, but Mingus suddenly became terribly impatient. He had eaten and been watered, so I was uncertain what the problem was until he stretched out and let loose with a flood...fastidious gelding that he is, he hadn't wanted to pee on the blacktop and risk splashing his belly or feet, but he just couldn't wait any longer...I felt so guilty.

Soon it was showtime, and we slipped on his show halter and made our way to the arena. First up was model geldings, over...two entries, Mingus and me, and Tracy of Flying G with her friend's gelding. Mingus remembered his lessons well and set up nicely, but he wouldn't give ears...perhaps he was still ticked (pun intended!) about getting his feet wet. He stretched beautifully and held it -- until the first judge came by. Then wouldn't you know, he had to fidget and dance. but he settled down by the time the second judge came by. Mark Bullington announced the results, with Mingus getting second place. I got Mingus' red ribbon and started toward the gate, only to hear Mark say over the PA, "susanne, don't leave yet!" Dummy me had forgotten there were two judges, and two decisions. The second judge gave Mingus first place. Good thing I hadn't left!

(Because of the poor lighting in the arena, we have no photos from the show ring)

Next up was open gelding halter over. Again, Mingus did beautifully, although his bozo of a handler waited too long to trot! I must have been off on another planet, since Mark said over the PA, "smile susanne!" (I'm usually the one telling everyone else to smile!) Still no ears from Mingus. He doesn't give them in training, but at previous shows he has been all ears, no cajoling necessary, so I adn't worried about it. (We're going to invest in peppermint candies, since he lit up later when Liz "crinkled" for him.) Midway through the class, Mingus became antsy again, moving out of position, but at least with a bit of backing I got him back into place and set up again. Moving over to the rail, he began to act up, but then calmed down. The first judge gave him the gate...the second gave him fourth. Not bad with such beautiful horses in the class!

I had planned on splitting handling duties with Keith, but somehow that didn't happen. I had to show Amateur, as I was the only one with an Amateur card, and then I just went ahead with color as well. Amateur went the same as Open...fidgeting and dancing, but he keeps getting better, and in between fussing, he set up beautifully. Again, nothing from the one judge, 4th from the other.

As we waited for Solid Color, another forum member recognized Mingus -- Nancy (Equisize) -- who is an absolute delight! Once again, I felt so at ease with, as if we had met in person years ago and were just picking up where we had left off. She wasn't able to bring her "girly-girls" due to their coughs, but I'm hoping she'll make it to the Columbia County Fair -- a small but very fun show.

I had hesitated entering color, as the arena at this facility is so dark -- not advantageous to a bay -- but I needn't have worried...just two of us, and again a split decision. Mingus got a red and a blue.

We now had a break until Liberty, the last class of the day. First we watched Leia and Kody in Obstacle Driving. Kody took this very seriously, but I could hear him laugh when they came to the blue tarp. "Harumph!! I'm a CDE horse -- I'm used to REAL water hazards!"

We visited Liz and company and gave Mingus a chance to roll in a stall, then headed to the Prime Design booth, home of the much coveted Shetland-style show halter (browband and throatlatch). Mingus had modeled it last year for Liz and Hillary, and Keith and I had drooled all over it at the Boring show, but now I was going to break down and actually buy it for my boy. They remembered Mingus and even the specific halter we had tried out, and we once again put it on him. Ahhhhhh. Daryl seconded our opinion that this is indeed the look for Mingus, making him look like a hunter. No backing out this time...Mingus now had his halter, complete with brass concho and gold braid browband...quite yummy!

100_0456-showhalterweb.jpg

We sauntered back to the trailer, admiring him and enjoying ourselves, when I heard class 30 being announced over the PA -- Liberty was class 31!! We raced around to find lunge whip, soft barn halter, etc., as Daryl brushed shavings from Mingus' mane, tail and body, then raced over to the show ring. Once we arrived, I realized that I didn't have my jacket and was wearing a sleeveless top, and much worse, Keith didn't have his number. I raced to the van and back. Of course, class 30 was a long one, so we now had to wait -- we had panicked over nothing. But this gave us more time to visit with Nancy and Leia, and to talk with others waiting for liberty. One woman saw Mingus and told me, "It's a crime that he's a gelding!" GULP (that was me). Big compliment for Mingus, but not so much for me...Oh well, you can't glue them back on, and I know we made the right choice.

Keith had written a new tune, "Horseplay," for Mingus, more of a country feel with great rhythm, and this was its debut. We all stepped out into the arena, the music began, and Mingus took off, thrilled to be free. He circled the arena beautifully, trotting briefly with knees high and tail flagged, but he then went straight for the gate and stopped to visit with the horses outside. I realized too late that I had made a huge mistake. I had positioned myself toward the middle of the arena, thinking that would be a good place if he decided to run to the end and roll. Next time around, same thing, and although I now moved to the gate, it was too late. The catch was flawless, though not quite what we had practiced. I've taught Mingus to bow, and he and Keith were to bow to the judges once Mingus was haltered. Instead, as Keith bowed, Mingus reared! It was actually better than any bow, but it did nothing to help him. He didn't place at all in Liberty.

But now we were done...time for fun! We put Mingus' new halter back on so he could show off, and went to visit with Liz, Martin, Leia, Nancy and Michael and to check out Leia's hyperbike. What a great cart, with a seat that even my achy back can love (although I have to pull my gimpy leg into place...not terribly graceful!) To demonstrate how light it is, Leia pulled me down the barn aisle...where's that driving whip when I need it?

Liz and Martin are both wonderfully nurturing people, taking care of everyone in their midst, and since the afternoon was hot, Martin picked up a bottle of water and offered Mingus a drink, not knowing that Mingus LOVES to drink from bottles and cans...Mingus demonstrated his great skill at this and polished off the entire drink, hardly spilling a drop.

As we all yakked, Martin asked Colton if he wanted to ride Mingus. This is something I've always wanted to try, but I never had the nerve to suggest to anyone that their child be the first ever to ride him! Colton was eager, and Martin hoisted him 38 inches off the ground and settled him onto Mingus' back. Martin was right there to hold Colton and grab him in case Mingus objected, but he stood rock still as if this were old hat...perfectly happy to oblige.

100_0462coltononmingusweb.jpg

We then walked him down the aisle, and Mingus moved ever so slowly and smoothly, careful not to upset his rider. Brandon also got his turn, and then Colton rode Kody, who also proved to be a perfect mount. Seeing these adorable little boys riding these beautifully proportioned little horses distorted one's perspective: They looked like full-sized riders on full-sized horses.

We all ended up in the meadow behind the barns, where Liz and Martin set up one of their jumps. I was pooped and let Keith and Martin jump Mingus as Brandon and Colton brought me daisies (the quickest way to my heart!) At first Mingus was uncertain...these jumps were quite different from the jerry-rigged obstacles at home (made from plastic lawn chairs and PVC pipe), and Keith really hasn't worked with him yet. But Martin took Mingus in hand and soon had him flying over the top height with room to spare. This is clearly a talent we need to develop!

Kody then showed Mingus how it's really done -- with enthusiasm and grace -- then settled down to more important things, like socializing with Mingus and eating grass, a well-deserved treat after a long day of showing.

The day was winding down; we still had a 2-1/2 hour drive back to Scappoose and Daryl had to drive himself home after he dropped us off. So we gathered our gear, loaded Mingus into the trailer (with his own well-deserved treat). We returned to a couple of very excited little horses who had been left at home...Thelonius and Flash let loose with a chorus of high whinnies (yes, Thelonius was squealing like a girl...), greeting their friend as if he had been gone for weeks instead of hours. Mingus, of course, immediately rolled until a thick coating of dust obscured his famously shiny coat and mane and tail were properly tousled and tangled.

After we emptied the trailer, thanked Daryl once again for his unbelievable generosity and help, and got everyone settled in and fed, we fell into the sleep of the dead. Exhausted, but very happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yayyyy! Mingus checks in! (Or his publicist does! *LOL*)

I think Mingus just loves anything new and different as long as he's deciding the pace.

As I mentioned in my other post, he definitely debunks the "lazy, fat" gelding myth.

Mouse did have to copy Mingus and get himself a nice shetland halter (in silver, however) to use for Hunter.

Your post is great, and I relived a lot of great memories, but your stay at the grounds was much too short. The back field was almost nice enough we should have camped, but it could have just as well rained like last year, too!

I think Mingus looked great in Liberty and I wish there were some way to block the entry way better, but it's always a good bet to have someone there just in case b/c it's the "way out" and so bright w/other horses nearby. Hard to defeat all those instincts when one is suddenly turned loose "in the candy store" so to speak.

It was great to see you, Keith, and Daryl as well as the big man himself.

Here's hoping you're going to the OR State Fair show. There is another AMHR show in Central Point, OR, also in August. I believe we'll do both. Keep reminding me about the Col. County Fair if'n ya would.

default_smile.png

Be talking to you soon!

And congratulations on your placings. Mingus looks awesome and he's really setting up beautifully these days. A little ears would have helped but he was listening to the horse and handler behind him.

Liz

[SIZE=14pt]Susanne, he is so beautiful! What a good smart boy![/SIZE]

Lyn

Mingus! Mingus! Mingus! ::chants::

Yep, there was no missing him as you came on the showgrounds and I had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys. Don't worry about my name, you pronounced it exactly as it's spelled. It's not my fault my parents named me after Star Wars but decided to pronounce it "Leah!" :lol:

I've got some great pictures of Mingus and all of the events you describe, once I get them uploaded I'll post them here and on my own thread which I'm still currently writing. Unlike you I didn't get home until late Sunday night so I've had a couple of days less to recover.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Thanks for sharing the halter classes which I didn't get to see and the insiders view of liberty, which I did. I even have pictures! Dark ones, but pictures.

I do notice in that cute picture of Colton riding that there are an awful lot of those drops Mingus didn't spill around his feet. Martin's fault, perhaps? :risa8:

Pictures to come! How can I get the ones Daryl took of Kody?

Leia

Leia, I have two pics of Kody, but I wanted to check with you before posting...they're great photos, but I always like to ask...if it's okay, I'll add them to my post tonight and send them to you, or of course you can PM Daryl and ask him to send them directly.

Congrats and great post!

My gelding was the other showing against you and I so wanted to meet you but had to work on Friday.

Maybe next year.

Susanne...Mingus looked great as usual! I'm really glad you decided to put him in color class too:) It sounds like you had a wonderful time...I'm sorry we didn't get to talk more! Maybe next year you guys can stay longer!

Tracy

Iam definately going to have to make it to another show this season....hang out with all you LB'ers!! :bgrin

Congrats on your placings and as usual Mingu looks awesome!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Congrats Susanne! I just love it when you write about Mingus Adventures!

You know,, it would make a very nice children's book. :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: Hint,, hint!!

Oh GAWD, Susanne! Wished I'd been there! YAY for Mingus! :aktion033: What a character he is!

MA

If one of them is the one he took of Kody dirty, unclipped, and fresh off the trailer then keep it out of here! LOL. I want copies of everything for my personal files but that one can stay neatly out of the public eye unless it just happens to be totally adorable. Anything else, post away.

Here are the ones I got of Mingus in liberty. Once I brightened the dark images there was an appalling amount of noise and fuzz on them and I turned the worst offender into an old newspaper photo because it had absolutely no color anyway.

MingusLiberty.jpg

FramedNewspaperMingus.jpg

MingusExitingLiberty.jpg

Horrible photos that in no way show how gorgeous Mingus is, but at least you can see him moving. The good halter and candid photos will show up on my report and I can email copies of everything I took to you if you'd like Suzanne. Just PM me your email address. You've got high-speed, right? ::wiggles eyebrows::
default_wink.png
:

Leia

WOW, Leia.l..I love those images! With the third, I'm trying to decide who looks more stuck up, Keith or Mingus! (Actually neither one is...)

My email is [email protected]

I have DSL, and receive huge image files all the time, so if you could send the original, unsized, untouched images, I'd be ever so happy!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments Country Rose, I wish I could have met you, too...it was so hard to stay for such a short time!

Liz, I'm so glad that Mouse got a Shetland halter, too...they are gorgeous! We'll definitely be at the Oregon State Fair, and we may even be jumping by then (at least on a trial basis!) We need to get some real jumps like yours...) I'd love to go to Central Point, but I'm not sure how that will fit in to our schedules and budget. I'd especially like to be there if MA and Brianna go again this year, and if Kim of Hurricane Hill makes it down.

wow that was such a great read i feel as though i were there lol, thanks for sharing, hes one beautiful boy
default_wub.png
:

O wow it sounds like a very fun but stressfull day!!
default_yes.gif
: The last pic of Mingus looks like a champion thoroughbred about to go out to his kentucky derby dabute with his jockey getting seated aboard :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: :lol: lol, he is gorgeous.
default_wub.png
:

Wow! Susanne Mingus looks great. I can't wait till the Col Cnty Fair. Jasmine is looking a little tubby right now but after I regain my energy I will get her to the barn and start working her in the arena up there.

I'm just praying it isn't another 102 deg day because I just can't take standing in that heat. But hey shes

black bleached out already so she now looks like a hershey bar milk chocolate color. Vic is still considering showing Duckie and I'm not sure who Erin is going to show this year. she has sooo many choices. Helen is considering showing Choco because Wendy had some surgery so isn't going to be able to be there. It would be great if Liz can come. The more the merrier. Of course it makes me nervous going against Mingus but then he's a show horse extrodinaire and Jasmine is now a pasture pet. For just a fleeting moment I considered bringing Koda. Hey! anyone within driving distance can bring their horse or horses to show.

You can enter any of the classes and maybe like Mingus beat some of the full size horses that are shown

at our fair. "COME ONE COME ALL" we would love to have a large class so we can show the people in

our area how truly wonderful the little horses are. Besides we have a pro rodeo on Saturday night that

is free with admission and an awesome open horse show. They took our driving class away from us because they didn't have enough people to enter their horses. Maybe someday we'll be able to get it

back with enough people to enter.

Susanne and Short Pig,

Is the Oregon state fair closer than the Evergreen one was?

When is it and the Columbia state fair?

Sorry I did not make it up to the Evergreen one. Wanted to visit & meet everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie, Jasmine is only a pasture pet in terms of her personality -- she is gorgeous (but then you know I think that)! I hope Viki does show Ducky -- but does that judge like being kissed by strange horses? And definitely bring Koda--He's a little show horse to be! Besides, Flash needs to meet his relatives...

Shari, the Oregon State Fair is in Salem, which is much closer than Spanaway...Perhaps 1-1/4 to 1-1.2 hours tops. It's the end of August/beginning of September, although I've yet to see the exact days...it's a great time, with a huge mini contingent. The Columbia County Fair horse show is Saturday, July 22nd, with halter classes first thing like the last show. Hope you can come!

I can't wait for the Columbia County Fair in a couple of weeks! Like Marie mentioned, I'm not sure who I'm taking at this point...YIKES! I had planned on Sandi, but now that I've got Emmy. Sandis' a little closer to being the right weight and in condition for a halter class. If Rosa doesn't go home this weekend, thats another possibility. I would LOVE to bring Chip again, but seeing as how most of the horses there will be mares, I'm not so sure that would be the best decision I've eer made :bgrin . Poor Tango is in NO condition to go out in public other than maybe as a mascot or something. I'm sure he'd love to come and visit with everyone.
default_wacko.png
:

Shari, you should bring one of your girls. It's a very laid back show and is SO much fun!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz, I should hope you make it out and bring Mouse! I'd love to see that boy again...he's a favorite of mine.
default_wub.png
:

Daryl, you best be there with that camera of yours. :bgrin

Everyone else in the area, please come out and at least support us fellow mini lovers even if you don't bring a horse yourself. The more the merrier and its always fun to meet new people.

Erin

Latest posts

Back