Evergreen AMHR show July 7-9 report/results/photo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Hi,

We arrived on Friday at around 10:00 a.m. (show began at noon and we had class #1) Got measured and all was great there.

Saw Keith, susanne, and Daryl (Big Dogs & Little Horses on the Forum) had pulled in with the ever fabulous Mr. Mingus, and greeted them as we hurried off to prepare for the first class.

Mouse was first in the ring w/Model Geldings and he took a third I believe out of 5? Don't remember as I was in such a hurry and distracted. He was second under both judges in Open Sr. Geldings 32-34" but then he took a first in Amateur Geldings under and he also took a Reserve Grand Champion Gelding. Ended the "day" of showing on a high note for me. Given that I have NOT worked him other than to condition him for jumping, I am pretty pleased. He's also been on pasture for about 12 hours per day and tends to bloat since he likes to crib. So I put him in his stall to relax and wait for Sunday's Supreme Halter classes and his a.m. debut in Hunter.

We then bathed Lark for the day of Mare classes on Saturday, and got her all detailed by razoring, blending the clip job on her face, and sanding hooves.

Leia and none other than Kody himself were in attendance and stalled right next door to us! :D

For all I've read about Kody, spending time around him in person has made me a definite FAN. His momma's no slouch, either. Leia was so helpful and fun to be around. The love she has for her sweet and spunky little gelding is really amazing. I got to meet Leia's mom as well, and she's wonderful and sweet.

We'd meant to get photos of Mouse, Kody and Mingus, three very notable geldings who are proof that just because you "take 'em off" it does not mean they will be any less spirited and certainly none of them are marshmallows!

I'll let susanne report on Mingus' classes, at least the results. His "Over" classes were after Mouse's and so we watched them happily. Mingus has it down but his squirminess kind of got the better of him. He was very excited and keyed up, much like the jr. stallions that would show on Sunday. But when he was asked to show, he stood very well and susanne has him placing his feet like a champ. He resembles to me a miniature version of an Anglo-Arab. He even held his tail proudly arched from his body. Also, don't let susanne even whisper "fat" and Mingus in the same sentence. He is in near perfect condition and you can tell he FEELS it. He competed in solid color and with his gleaming bay coat he was hard to beat. We even got to see him in Liberty! After the catch, he reared with much enthusiasm and showmanship. What a ham. And he has a new "accessory" one which Mouse really approves of! Susanne will share details, of that I'm sure.

Once the show was over for the day, we retreated to the grassy field behind the barns and the shade from the evergreens. Mt. Rainier was alight from the afternoon sun, and with all the great people to chat and visit with, we unwound from all the show stress and excitement. We set up a single jump for Mingus to check out and after a few hijinks, he cleared it even at the top setting. He's quite an athlete and once he gets into a performance career, I can see he'll have even more to look forward to.

Got to talk with Equuisize (Nancy), and really "meet" her, she is great and so cute!

Saturday the mare classes were early, so we got Lark out and cleaned her up and headed off. She was first in every class! I was so much in shock because she had not done very well at her first show of the year, but she's gotten past the growth spurt and filled out and now looks so beautiful and expressive. Lark took the Jr. Mare Championship as well as the Amateur Championship. I was sad that they'd run out of neck ribbons on Friday during Mouse's classes since we would have had quite a pile. They had one Grand Champ ribbon for Lark, though, and it was great to have a horse of my breeding and training wearing it. There were some beautiful mares out there, too. Also Lark has been living on the pasture and just being a horse, so again I felt very honored to get what we got by virtue of her beauty. Now I had a problem, though: two horses in the Amateur Supreme Halter Horse class on Sunday and one to go in the Supreme Halter Horse class previous to THAT (the top three from each gender compete for this honor and I've NEVER gotten one before this, though I've been in the running a few times). Luckily I had some pretty good handlers to help out in the form of Crabby Chickens!

Here is Lark as she looked just after winning her mare classes/championship:

larkgc06.jpg

This photo does not quite do her justice as her personality and attitude tend to be part of her aura, but she's matured through her "odd" yearling phase just wonderfully.

Lark competed in the yearling Futurity hosted by the Evergreen Miniature Horse Club, and took a second to one of the most beautiful miniature fillies I have seen. I don't know her full name, but this mare is the epitome of Arabian. I mean it, I don't usually say that, but she IS as close to a miniature Arabian as I've seen. If I can find a way for you to see her, I'll do it. She is an Arenosa-bred Over filly and a beautiful chestnut with the most beautiful face marking. *sigh* If I found one like that under 34", I would move heaven and earth to have it. It will be interesting to see how much we end up getting for our Futurity win, but I definitely did NOT mind losing to such a beauty as that.

And so Saturday was going beautifully. I bathed and clipped and razored Kyan for the jr. stallion classes in the a.m. on Sunday. I filmed a few classes and did a few miscellaneous favors for Leia and Kody (man, what this girl does all by herself, for the most part. It awes me.), including helping with Liberty. Again, I'll let Leia give the details on his Liberty class, but his music was perfection both for his run and his attitude! He needed little help to put on a show and the catch was entertaining, too.

So here's where things took a BAD turn. We drove to Kim's from the show (about a 40-minute drive) and needed to fuel up. Our truck is a diesel so we have to be careful to buy it while the stations that have it are open, sometimes pretty limited in small towns. About a quarter mile after we filled up, however, the truck began to sputter and shake, and white smoke poured out of it. It threatened to die before we made it the last half mile or so to Kim's house. We were perplexed but suspected that the wrong fuel had been put in. Bingo. When we pulled in, and opened the fuel door, the smell of gasoline was quite strong. :no: Now here we were without a vehicle, and possibly a destroyed engine. At the very least, it was going to need a lot of work to pump out the 28 gallons of supreme unleaded that was in it, and purge the fuel lines, replace the filters and refill with diesel. I sort of panicked, but Mark and Kim reassured us that they would do whatever was necessary to make sure it turned out ok as far as getting the horses and us home, and back to the show on Sunday.

Sunday a.m. we went to the show in Kim's trusty Explorer, leaving Martin and the kids at Kim's with Mark and Mathew. Mathew watched the boys while Mark and Martin slaved away over the ailing truck, and ran for parts and called for advice (the truck could not be driven at all).

Mouse was going in the ring first for Hunter, and I was fairly nervous about it, so I wanted him to eat and have time to warm up prior. Leia helped me a lot with getting his tail braided as we were late arriving. She also ran him over the warmup jumps a few times and schooled him a bit. I had no idea what to expect, but was hopeful. When we were called (second in the cue), good old Mouse got a look at the first jump, a "brick wall" of painted cardboard squares, and said "Unh-uh! NO WAY is Mouse going to do anything other than run AROUND that tacky pile of paper!" *LMAO* I was embarassed but not surprised. I had not jumped him over anything that resembled that fence, though we've jumped just about everything else. He was sort of in a "mood" and maybe he was feeling my distress over the truck, and he'd refused a few times in the warmup ring, too. Ah, well. We DQ'ed without a chance to try any of the other jumps and so we know what we need to work on for next time. And there WILL BE a next time! Mouse's new jumping bridle/shetland halter will be put to more use than just this once where we gave it a very inauspicious maiden run.

Kyan's classes went pretty well even though I was feeling pretty dismal. I honestly don't remember most of his placings because I was so distracted. I love that truck a lot and was worried that the engine had been ruined (yeah, it's just a "thing", but it seems to be the last thing we need right now the expense of an engine replacement as well as the loss of use of our main vehicle). He did take some top placings even though I had a tough time getting him to show himself and hold still. He was only in Stallion foals of current year 30" and under and Amateur stallions but he behaved himself in the Champion judgeoff but didn't get anything against the older guys.
default_smile.png
I didn't get any photos of him all cleaned up, either, since we didn't have enough "personnel" available to handle and take pics, etc. He is a beauty, though. He is even better than I thought he would be. He reminds me of Mouse at that age, but more refined and with nicer action. Mouse had better be a good boy, or I will keep Kyan and send him down the road (just kidding, Mousey is here to stay). Kyan has recently discovered what that "fifth leg" is for, though, so he was screaming for all he was worth. Someone made the comment that all the babies in the ring (there were four weanling stallions) were screaming for mom, but old Kyan was yelling for "girls" of any kind, as he's been weaned for a month now! *LOL* I am very proud of this little man!

I got some updates that sounded promising on the truck. The unleaded was siphoned out and had been repeated with some fresh diesel to help dilute it.

So we concentrated on the Supreme Halter classes, and though I'd left my show halters (thank you, Tracy G (Flyin G Farm on the Forum), for loaning me the one that looked so beautiful on little Kyan, and congrats on your wins.) in the truck, we found ones that Kim had to fit the two Supreme Halter candidates. Lark's was especially fetching though it would have looked as fine on Mouse!

Lark went in for the Supreme Halter Horse, Under (Open), and she was outclassed by the stallion in the lineup (I don't remember his name, but he was a very stunning bay pinto). I was not a bit disappointed to be in the elite group of three competing for this title, though.

So we went for our final class: Amateur Supreme Halter Horse, Under. Mouse was handled very well by Hilary of Crabby Chicken Ranch. I didn't even have time to look as Lark was having foot tug of war with me on placement. When they announced the winner, it was "Raftered Hearts Raven's Lark" (her mom is in the avatar, and her sire is Crabby Chicken's gorgeous and obviously prepotent stallion, aAprina in Pharaoh's Freeanda, or "Falcon")!!!! We raced up to collect our Supreme Halter neck ribbon and got our pictures taken then trotted out victoriously! I forgot about that broken truck for a while, that's for sure! Lark's sister Rio has been cleaning up at shows this Spring and Summer, too, so she got a little closer to getting out of that shadow! I am excitedly awaiting Lark's full sibling in 2007 and a half sibling, too, by Kyan's dam.

I ordered a few pics of Lark from the show photographers, Pangraf Productions, and will share those when they arrive.

We also visited with countryrose, and she's always so nice, enjoyable to talk with.

We managed to cram ALL our junk and ourselves back into Kim's poor groaning Explorer and hauled the trailer back to Kim's, where the horses were turned out into their pastures for some well earned R&R while the men slaved over the truck some more. All that was left to get some more parts when the dealership opened on Monday.

I, however, took my son's car and drove home w/the little boys and left my horses behind at the Crabby Chicken B&B.

The truck is on its way home as I type this, under its own power and towing our trailer full of beautiful minis, so hurray for that. A happy ending, considering, and for sure an eventful weekend!

Hope everyone else made it home in one piece, and have rested up.

Thanks for reading, if you're still awake!

Liz M.

[SIZE=12pt] Wow that makes me tired to even read that....[/SIZE]

Poor Liz and family... It was such a fun weekend. It is sad it had to get really stressful there for a while. But things happen like that, and Martin was so worried and felt so bad. Having done things like that, I know how it feels to make a big mistake! They are like family to us, and they make the horse shows fun for us!

We had a great time and it was wonderful to see everyone. We are lucky to have some really good friends that love minis like we do!!!!

We took our yearling Falcon daughter, and I think she is very pretty, even though she is going through the weird yearling look right now. It was her first show, and I hadn't done anything with her but clip her. She was a little confused, and boy it showed on her expessive face in the ring!!! I will have to get some pics to post when I can of her cleaned up. She won reserve champion over junior mare and that was my first neck ribbon I have ever gotten myself!! But, they had run out of them and will send it in the mail. Oh well I will have to wait and take her glamour pics with it later.

She didn't place in the futurity class, but she looked goofy and was BAD so she deserved it. There were some beautiful horses in there. Including her half sister, Lark.

Then the McMAsters truck was jealous and needed a little reasurance that it was still loved, so it stayed home and went back for the Sunday classes. Had a great time and saw Lark get her SUPREME neck ribbon. Was VERY jealous,,, heehee!

Went to Safeway to drown my jealousy in some chinese food for lunch, when my daughter left a message on my phone that I had won something in the club raffle... hmmmm. She was all excited to tell me a won a ,,,, stuff horse?!? Okay, very cute horsie but what was she hiding??? Wellllll I won a BRAND NEW HARNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!! Thank you Chimacum Tack!!! Maybe someday soon we will get Falcon driving around here.They were out of them, so that will be anxiously awaiting the mail delivery for a while! It was a great weekend!

WOW!! You had a lot of highs and lows at that show, didn't you? Sounds like an emotional roller coaster! Congrats on your winnings--you did great!

Yep, it was a roller coaster show, but having generous and supportive friends really helped soften those lows.

default_smile.png

Plus it all worked out.

Forgot to add that the show staff really make a show so much more enjoyable. LaVon, Mark, Gwen, Carol, Wanda, Sharon, all of you just rock. I know I forgot and left some out, but this show is really fun and well-managed. I am NO fan of The Unit, but I can overlook that if the show staff makes it great!

Kim winning that harness really made me happy b/c she deserves it and Falcon will be amazing in it.

Liz

[SIZE=12pt] Awww and Nancy ( Equuisize) I didn't mean to snub you. I thought you were someone Liz knew and didn't want to interupt. I was hoping to meet you at the show!!!! I walked past you in the hall, and didn't even stop! Sorry!!! [/SIZE]

Congratulations on the Supreme!

It was a great story Liz, I certainly didn't fall asleep, felt like I was there!

Oh wow I got through it all . Sounds like a eventful show you need one of those evryonce in a while Am I right. WOW Lark did great Thumbsup! Good Job glad to hear you did so amazingly even with your crsis! hehe
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

It was a fun show...Liz...Lark looked AMAZING...she definitely deserved all of her wins:) Kim...your filly looked wonderful too...I didn't realize you had gotten reserve junior champion...CONGRATULATIONS!!! We had a good show as well...we brought my Buckeroo God yearling filly who held her own against some very tough competition...including Lark! Then we brought a senior mare who was reserve senior champion over and who placed well in her color class. I also had a yearling colt who was reserve junior champion over and who also went reserve grand...so we were pleased with him too. And I had 2 weanlings in with Kyan...and I can tell you Liz he looks awesome! My bay pinto colt got a 1st and 2nd...my black pinto (who I convinced my hubby to show...the ONLY time he's been in the ring this year)...got a 3rd and 4th. I was just proud the boys sort of led
default_wacko.png
: We had a great time in liberty...but my horse didn't place which was fine...we didn't deserve to...my friend and I decided to make up new liberty costumes...we were quite bright if I do say so myself...we have to entertain ourselves you know :bgrin My poor friend though...we were on our 2nd horse...and the whips I brought were the kind that screw together in the middle...well...I hear a ton of laughing and clapping and look back and her whip is in 2 different places :new_shocked: Luckily the horse didn't really need them.

So all in all we had a good show too...we talked with quite a few very nice people...including Leia. And Liz...I'm glad the halter worked for Kyan...I wasn't about to try it on our non-leading wild weanlings!

Tracy

Wow!!! :new_shocked: :aktion033: :bgrin

I wish I could have come up and watched the show, but we ended up in Lincoln City. Sounds like while it could have been a real disaster with your truck, things worked out all around and CONGRATS on your wins!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: (I told you at the schooling show that Lark was amazing!!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: )

Cant wait to hear how Susanne, Keith and Mingus did!!

Congrats to everyone else who did well at the show, too!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hee hee hee, was hoping susanne would hurry up and post her own report as I was wishing she would have stayed to see the one, the only....PRINCE (I think he KNOWS he's royalty, alright). I was too preoccupied to figure out his placings, but he sure was well behaved while I observed him. And that hair. Fabio would be green with envy (don't tell Bonnie I said that).

So many beautiful horses in one place, and even for a small show, as was mentioned, there was no lacking in quality.

Liz

Hey Liz,

I'm in the midst of writing up my own account -- I was too fried to write it up when we returned, and then to busy with family visits (and the requisite cleaning...ugh).

I am so proud of Lark! I knew it was just a matter of time before the judges recognized her beauty, and boy did they ever! Now I can say "I knew her when..."

Betsy (the owner of the gorgeous Araby filly and the owner of Prince's first-born son...the one that was born very premature) told me that Prince would be there, and I very nearly told Keith to walk to Salem...My chance to finally meet my heart throb and I had to miss out!

Back to my writing...or should I say editing, since it's a book!

nootka said:
Leia and none other than Kody himself were in attendance and stalled right next door to us! :DFor all I've read about Kody, spending time around him in person has made me a definite FAN. His momma's no slouch, either. Leia was so helpful and fun to be around. The love she has for her sweet and spunky little gelding is really amazing. I got to meet Leia's mom as well, and she's wonderful and sweet.

We'd meant to get photos of Mouse, Kody and Mingus, three very notable geldings who are proof that just because you "take 'em off" it does not mean they will be any less spirited and certainly none of them are marshmallows!
Aw!
default_blush.png
: Is it sneaky if I admit I asked to be stalled next to you? :risa_suelos: You guys were absolutely fabulous to be stabled with and I loved getting to socialize all weekend. Thanks for all the help! :aktion033: I'd like to point out to those reading that we got pictures of Mingus and Kody, Mouse was the only absentee as he was apparently too busy rolling in the shavings to take off his sweat and come join the party. :lol:
default_wink.png
: Ever the Fab 5 Fellow.

I filmed a few classes and did a few miscellaneous favors for Leia and Kody (man, what this girl does all by herself, for the most part. It awes me.), including helping with Liberty. Again, I'll let Leia give the details on his Liberty class, but his music was perfection both for his run and his attitude! He needed little help to put on a show and the catch was entertaining, too.
Are you kidding me?? How in heck you make sure every little detail is perfect on THREE HORSES is enough to boggle my mind! :new_shocked:
default_wacko.png
: All I have to do is make sure my harness is clean and bathe a solid brown horse, then make sure his bridlepath and pasterns are clipped. Done. You win Liz, definitely! I so appreciated your help during liberty and yes, I'll share both the story and hopefully even some video if I can make it work. As soon as I get some sleep....

Mouse was going in the ring first for Hunter, and I was fairly nervous about it, so I wanted him to eat and have time to warm up prior. Leia helped me a lot with getting his tail braided as we were late arriving. She also ran him over the warmup jumps a few times and schooled him a bit. I had no idea what to expect, but was hopeful. When we were called (second in the cue), good old Mouse got a look at the first jump, a "brick wall" of painted cardboard squares, and said "Unh-uh! NO WAY is Mouse going to do anything other than run AROUND that tacky pile of paper!" *LMAO*
You've got to give the poor guy some credit Liz. He went over the scary Navajo blanket jump out in the warmup ring with some coaxing and once in the class he trotted so nicely up to the bricks...and then his stride got larger and more up on his toes, and his neck arched, and his eyes bugged...and out to the side he delicately slewed behind you just enough to avoid the jump. He really did try! He never once got that obstinate expression you see sometimes where they just aren't going to do it and the heck with you. The first pass was an "Okay Mom, I'm trotting, I'm trotting, we're turning, I'm going to jump theWHATtheheckisTHAT?!?" Second pass was "Oh m'gosh, it's there, it's scary, is she going to make me trot at it again? Why is she running me at a wall?! Mama I don't wanna!" And the third time, yes, he just plain wasn't even going to be in the same vicinity if he could help it. But Mouse tried, and at least he leads nicely! LOL

You guys will do great next time and at least now we both know what kind of jumps to build at home for practicing over.
default_yes.gif
:

Kyan's classes went pretty well even though I was feeling pretty dismal. I honestly don't remember most of his placings because I was so distracted. ....I didn't get any photos of him all cleaned up, either, since we didn't have enough "personnel" available to handle and take pics, etc.
Oh, really. :flirt:
default_whistling.gif
: Soooome of us had our cameras out and hands free when you were handling him! Hehe. I haven't uploaded them yet but I got at least one really nice headshot of him and some body shots that I'm not sure how well they came out. He got a first and a second alternating with Tracey's little bay pinto boy in the open class and then I didn't catch the ammy results.

The truck is on its way home as I type this, under its own power and towing our trailer full of beautiful minis, so hurray for that. A happy ending, considering, and for sure an eventful weekend!
Hope everyone else made it home in one piece, and have rested up.
Yaaaayyy!! I'm so glad to hear the truck made it home. You guys were just having the worst day on Sunday and I felt so bad for you. First the truck, then the halters, then Hunter, then everything else...man. You did a great job keeping a cheerful attitude and it was neat how many people stepped up to help. ALL, I might point out, Lil' Beginnings members! I felt like a member of an exclusive club. :bgrin

susanne said:
I'm in the midst of writing up my own account -- I was too fried to write it up when we returned, and then to busy with family visits (and the requisite cleaning...ugh).

Back to my writing...or should I say editing, since it's a book!
Ditto! LOL. Also have to upload, edit, resize, then web-load all of those pictures. Yipes! After all I've got to show off all three geldings and a weanling colt this time!
default_eat.gif
:
default_thumbup.gif
:

You did great Liz, it was a pleasure to show with you. Thanks again for all your help and congratulations on your well-deserved wins.

Leia

Wow!!! :aktion033: Congratulatios to everyone, especially Liz and Lark!! Those were well-deserved wins, Liz... I'm sure you're flying high!
default_smile.png
And Mouse didn't do too bad... or anyone else's horses!! Once again, congrats to everyone.. sounds like it was a fun, successful show for all.

Kari

Liz, thought I should find a post from you.......and wanted to say how nice it was

meet you and your family and say thanks for letting me hang all over your Mouse!

I do love those boys!!! He is so lovely as are Lark and Kyan......Mouse does have the

most amazing eyes!!!

I didn't realize that Lark and Zuni would have been in the same yearling class.

That would have been fun....Like I said in Suzanne's post, we're beginning to think

the girls are faking this coughing thing...saving it for when they've an audience :bgrin

They know they'll get lots of sympathy and extra treats for being under the weather....

Would you send me a note with the name of that virus you told me about, please, so I

can ask the vet about the possibility of it?

Brandon and Colton are as cute and sweet as can be and looked so neat on the backs

of Mingus and Kody. Picture perfect - kids and horses, doesn't get any better than that.

Hope to see you all at another show................

Back