So you're a horse lover,,,,,,were you born that way.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't "born into it" as in being from a horsey family, but I definitely was born with an animal obsession, especially for horses and dogs. That was difficult since we lived in the city, but I cherished the hour-long drive to my cousin's dairy farm we made a few times a month, and then I could stay part of the summer. THERE I could be around a couple of big horses (QH, Morgan), and it was heaven on earth. I had no fear of them as a small child, and remember my older cousins telling us younger kids "it takes three falls to make a rider"!! That old Morgan mare taught me A LOT.

So then I'm back home pining away in the city during the long school year, scheming for how I can get a horse in the backyard, drawing up plans for a tiny barn outside my bedroom window, digging till I found out who to talk to at the city zoning department and having to hear the cold hard facts about city life and zoning. Still, I spent all my spare money on Western Horseman magazine, volunteered for anything horse-related, and drew horses all over everything!

Fast forward nearly 30 years and finally after building my business and getting the kids grown part of the way up, we moved to a small farm this last year and I was able to fulfill the horse dream, with the minis!

I was born with a love for horses.

My whole family pretty much considers me nuts... i.e. my mom overhears a discussion regarding genetics and bloodlines, her eyes glaze over... my uncle's around when a friend and I have a 30 minute discussion on hay, he rolls his eyes and walks off... LOL

Kari

This is a fun thread! I too was born a horse lover. My mom told me when I was two she took me to the fair and I seen the ponies that rode around in circles on a metel carousel thing, they let me sit in the saddle and my mom walked with me and when the ride was over she had to pry me loose from the saddle and I cried and cried! LOL I didnt want to get off!! I can barely remember a faded spring horse named Trigger that I rode until almost all the paint was gone off him and he split into, I guess I was around 3 maybe. Then I would take an old blanket and wrap it around some of my dads old saw horses and use some strings as reins and ride all day. I finally got my very first pony when I was 5 and he wasnt broke,,he would throw me of every time I got on so dad was afraid I would get hurt so he sold him. I was very sad,, if I couldnt ride him, I was happy to just sit out at the paddock and rub him and feed him.

Then my dad bought a calf and I tried to ride her,, succeded too,, that was a hoot. I would ride her all over the yard with a halter, and even down the road. I would also hang out with neighbors down the road that had horses and then joined the local 4H club and had lots of friends with horses.

FINALLY when I was 12 my parents broke down and bought me my very first horse, a little single footing gelding named Charlie Brown. That really started the ball rolling. I showed in everything from barrle racing and other speed events to english and western. I can still look at a video or picture of a beautiful horse and my heart will pitter patter and I will get a lump in my throat. I NEVER get tired of looking at horses.

Interesting to watch this "affliction" through the generations. No one in my immediate family was ever horsey until I came along. I have two daughters, one who has ridden since she could sit up and loves it still, the other who would be fine if she never saw another horse LOL. (she is an animal lover, just not horsey). I told her maybe she has the right idea - play tennis or something, you can store it in the closet and it doesn't have to be fed!
default_biggrin.png
However, I can't imagine what I would have done without horses in my life.

Jan

I was born into it my father used horses and mules as a boy/young man in farming. He often talked about a pair of Pink Skined Arabians he had in his late teens/early twenties. He was so proud of them his eyes would just shine whenever he talked about them, and he would have the biggest smile. He truly loved those horses.

Of all seven of his children I am the only one with the horse passion. There are pictures of me with a broom for my horse and a cap gun straped around my waist when I was about four. I watched Roy Rodgers and The Lone Ranger etc just because there were horses in them. Read any and all books that was about animals especially horses as soon as I could read and still do read horse magazines etc.

All three of my children were horse crazy but now only the two youngest are horse crazy. They were on horses or ponies as soon as they could sit up. My oldest son got a pony for his third birthday and the other two got their own pony on their third birthday's also. We spent a lot of time in the barn. The boys and I rode in the Santa Maria Elks Parade when they were five and four. I had them dressed up like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. I made a safe out of a cardboard box and they drug it behind their ponies. I rode my Appy Stud behind them. It was so much fun. We won a ribbon.

Their children are also horse crazy. I often go riding with my daughter and grand-daughter. My son's children ride but we haven't been riding with them yet. That is a goal for this year.

What a neat thread!! Wonderful way to get to know each other.

I was definately born the "horse Lover". I went on my first trail ride with my dad when I was 6 months old. My Mother tells that even when I fell asleep, I would wake up and cry if she tried to take me off the horse. Any chance I got at riding or just being around horses I was there. My tricycle became a horse after I tied a rope to the handle. The butane tank made a great horse and I would ride that thing for hours. I spent summers at my great-uncle's house and I rode from morning til night. I got my very own horse when I was 15. I broke and trained horses until I was 21. I have been on 2 drill teams. I got my first mini in 2001, and in 2004 I hurt my back and was told that I shouldn't ride anymore. While I still have my big horse, I put my energy into caring and showing my minis.

Cedar Ridge - that butane (or propane) tank brought back memories. My sis and I used to ride our too. It had metal loops on both ends that we could put our "reins" through. We thought it was great that we each had our own end! Later when we had to share a horse I always got the "rumble seat"!
default_frusty.gif

I was born with it and born loving.... :DOH!

I was born in cattle country so we always had horses. They were mainly working animals to y grand parents. My mother loved them but she didn't like to do the dirty work. I guess when I came around I loved the fun and the dirty work. I loved to just be around the horses. I got my first mini at the age of 5, he bucked me off everytime I wanted to go with the guys to catch cattle. The guys knew he would buck me off, he usually did it when we got out of the pen that I had to ride in.

Then when I was 10 I finally got my own big horse and got to ride with the guys. I was so proud! I started barrel racing and gaming.

About 2-3 years ago I found a poor mini that needed some help. His toes were curled up, the halter was cutting into his cheeks, and I could count all the bones in his body. I guess I loved taking care of him I got a couple more and some more..LOL
default_wub.png

Now I'm back to having my big horses to ride and enjoy going to trail rides. I'm thinking I won't ever get back into the barrel racing scene.

My minis I love washing them, clipping, playing, seeing a new foal, and now hopefully showing. I wouldn't give up this life for anything!

Both, I was raised on a QH ranch. My father was a "Cowboy" and that is the way I was raised. My first horse was a 41" pony ( before any were registered ). I broke here and I showed her. we showed western pleasure, halter classes, trail horse classes, and did all the games. I started showing QH at the age of 12. My mother was a trick rider and a trick roper. My wife and I still have our riding horses, but the minis hsve become our life.
default_saludando.gif

I started getting the itch to ride around 9 or 10. I saw "The Black Stallion" and knew I just had to ride. We moved from downtown Toronto to a suburb (Thornhill) just about 1/2 hour north of the city. There was an equestrian club about 15 minutes from us. When I was 12 I started taking weekly lessons and joined the Pony Club. I did all the Pony Club Rallies, evented, dressage, showjumping etc. Then I was fortunate enough to start riding a friend's Dutch Warmblood Jumper at about 14 or 15. God, I loved that horse. It was with him that I started being coached by an olympic show jumper rider. I was very fortunate to have "fallen" into her expertise. I started showing on the A Circuit at that time. I leased a few horses until I got my own at 16 or so. My first Hunter. Did the junior hunter thing and qualified for the Royal Winter Fair (Canadians will know it) and got a silver plate there; I remembered after I won, that I had said to myself, before I started riding, that I would go to the Royal and win. When I remembered that, I got very emotional because it was the first time I achieved a major goal. After the Royal I sold my hunter and got my first jumper. I also started catch-riding other's horses and helped showing sale horses with my coach. I kept it up until I was doing speed classes etc. I even did a few Mini Grand Prix's before I stopped. $'s started to become a problem, or lack thereof lol. Now I'm back riding/training a few friend's horses and spending quality time with my little ones. How's that for an answer? LOL. Sorry to ramble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to be born with the "disease"!
default_wink.png
No one in my family is horsey (well, my dad had a horse as a kid but it didn't last long) and no one understands the need to haul for hours to horse shows (especially on "family" holidays). I can't even remember a time when I didn't know what a horse was or what you did with it. I would SCREAM bloody murder to make my dad pull the car over on the side of the road so I could try to pet a horse on the other side of the fence!
default_new_shocked.gif
Then in my elementry school days, I drove my friends nuts with my horse games. Instead of playing with barbies, I would pretend I had a whole herd of wild horses in my back yard. Of course, the black stallion was the only one I could "ride".

I would beg and bribe any stable that would let me work for free or an opportunity to ride (until I learned the value of a dollar!). My mother still hasn't given up hope that I will grow out of it, but I think my husband can attest that I won't. Though he has threatened me that if I ever stop training or sell the whole herd he'll kill me for all the hard work he's put in building barns and fence.
default_rolleyes.gif
I don't think he has anything to worry about.

Born that way! I was lucky to grow up on a cattle ranch, so horses were a way of life
default_biggrin.png
My mom rode horses with me early in her pregnancy, and then as soon as I could sit up, I rode like this for a year or so
default_smile.png

BabyChew.jpg

By the summer I was two, I had my own horse to ride that would follow my mom's horse anywhere. When I think about that now... Wow - that was one patient horse! Then when my mom was pregnant with my brother, she used to go for walks, and I'd ride. After my second brother was born, mom was super busy, so that's when I started riding bareback since I couldn't saddle a horse by myself.

Kept riding and started competing via 4H and local rodeos. I got my first real show horse from Portia Sue (yes THE Portia Sue of Mini driving fame) when I was in 6th grade. This is Red and I at our 1st horse show... We won EVERY class (showmanship, western pleasure, western equitation, trail, western riding, reining, etc) except halter. Yikes to those glasses, the outfit, well everything!

JudgesPet.jpg

Red was one in a million, and I showed him for several years. We even competed on the Hunter circuit and did pretty well despite his color. (You can actually see Portia in the background of this photo on one of her thoroughbreds!)

BlueCloud.jpg

This is getting long, so to sum it up, one thing led to another and here I am with bunches of Shetland Ponies and Minis of all things. Not exactly the horses of choice on cattle ranches!
default_wink.png
But I love them
default_wub.png

I was born into a horse loving family. Both of my grandfather's were horsemen, my Dad had horses when I was born and was taking me in the saddle with him when I was a babe in arms. My Dad came from a background of showing Shetlands and we showed Paints and Quarter Horses when I was growing up, Dad got heavily into reining horses while I was racing Standardbreds and here we are with Miniatures and Shetlands!! I have had horses for over forty years now and have loved every minute of it!!
default_wub.png

Pam

I was born with it. My mother and I shared the love for animals and the rest of our family always thought we were out of our minds. She had a pony as a child and as soon as my father retired from the military we wasted no time in acquiring 1, 2, 3, 4 etc., sure beat riding someone elses'. I was about 6 when we bought the first of our own. I spent my enitre childhood on the back of a horse. We even had a shetland that my best friend and I would drive to school and park him at the ag barn.

I raised my kids in the dog and horse world and they have incredable values now because of it. Now I am making sure that my grandchildren have this opportunity also. I think it is in the two granddaughters now.

I think I have the horse gene. Although I was born a city girl, just like the rest of my family, the gene popped out.

My great uncle Ted was Captain of the Philadelphia Park Guards, an equine portion of the Police forece, of course they were everywhere in the city patrolling, not just in the parks. He loved horses.

As soon as I was old enough to crawl, my favorite toy was a wooden wheeled horse that you sat on and rolled around. For my entire childhood, I ignored beautiful dolls, preferring to run around the neighborhood slapping my thigh with a twig that was my "riding crop". The best gift I ever got for for my birthday was a real leather riding crop, from my Grandpop, and I STILL have it.

I only ever asked for Breyer horses, or horse books and every birthday cake candle that I EVER blew out, I wished for a horse.

Before my family had a phone, I would spend sunday afternoons calling horse sale ads from the newspaper asking people questions about their horses for sale. Because of that I try to be extra patient when kids call me to ask about sale horses, I remeber what it was like to eat, drink breathe and bleed horses while not having one of my own.

My family always said that we were misplaced and born in the wrong area of the country. When I bought my first horse out of school, my family went crazy over her, a qrtr/arab cross, and bought my sister an anglo/arab and my baby sister a shetland pony. All events focused around that boarding barn. When Carmen gave me my engagement ring, we ran to the barn to show my family and friends because that's where everyone was! When he asked me to marry him, I told him that I came with baggage, atleast one horse, a dog ,various other pets and that it would only get worse and worse. He told me that was fine, but really didn't understand what he was getting into. He tolerates it all, but still has no idea what kind of commitment I have to my horses.

Things haven't changed, I still breathe horses. Its like a a gene that shows up in every generation or tow in city people, more often in country people.

Sorry this was so long,

love to all,

Robin

I had always lived in the city, but dreamed of living on a thousand acres! (but now I want 6,0000 acres
default_rolleyes.gif
) I still remember when I was seven I went on an hour long guided trail ride. I rode their "gentle" mare.
default_rolleyes.gif
She kept trying to rub me off with tree branches along the trail! but I loved it! A couple of years later I when on an unguided ride, that did not go so well. (my sisters horse ran off with her!) One day when I was at the library (I was about 10 years old) I decided to check out some horse books. I had already read all the cat and dog books! LOL The book was called - the "affordable" horse!
default_rolleyes.gif
Luckily for me my mom likes horses. She had them when she was a kid.
default_yes.gif

My first mare was named Star. She was kind of skinny, thought she just needed more food. later found out she was sick. We tried to help her. She coliced three times,(the vet was shocked when she survived) got rain rot, and hypothermia. We learned she had cancer, there was nothing we could do. RIP Star.
default_bye-sad.gif

After that I got my QT mare Sadie. I loved that girl! Unfortunately, my family ended up having to sell all our riding horses for lack of time. Sadie now does civil war reenactments with some friends of my aunt. I get to see new pictures of her occasionally, and she seems real happy.

That is when I found out about minis. My sister got a stallion named Oreo. We kept him in our large city backyard. He was really fun, but he was really lonely without any horses around, and we did not feel there was enough space for two.
default_no.gif
He now lives with our old vet.

I was horseless for like 5 whole years!!! (besides English riding lessons for a few months which I LOVED!)

This year we moved to our very own "farm". I am SO happy here!
default_biggrin.png
I now have my mini named Country.
default_wub.png

Sorry this is so long, I tried to shorten it.
default_biggrin.png

I was born into horses and never saw any reason to leave!
default_aktion033.gif

daffy.jpg

I was born into it, but I don't think that's the same thing as being born with it (though I was definitely both). My grandparents bought their first minis 26 years ago, just before I was born, to breed in their retirement. We lost my grandfather when I was nine, and it's been pretty lonely out in the barns since then. My grandmother likes the horses but is definitely not horse-crazy like my grandfather and me. My mother, older brother, and older sister dabbled but quickly lost interest. And the only enjoyment my father gets from the horses is in making glue and dog food jokes.

I was placed on the back of a horse as soon as I was old enough to hold on, started taking professional riding lessons when I was eight, got my first riding horse at 11, and started showing Class A with my Arab at 14. We briefly bred Quarters, but I'm not much of a rider, so while we still have three biggies, my true love has always been the minis. I'm not a natural horseman--you won't see me climbing on any wild horses--but I think they sense what a clumsy, harmless fool I am and trust and tolerate me. I have lived in New York, Las Vegas, and Chicago, but ultimately changed my life and career plans so I could some home and be with my horses.

Contrary to many people I know who were also raised among horses, I do not view them as stock. To me, they are family.

Born that way- had nobody to learn it from. I think it's in the DNA, as I found out my Grandmother was a horse nut too, though I never really knew her and she passed away when I was pretty young. Hmm, the house my parents lived in when I was concieved and born was a big barn, that was later converted to a home.. wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Back