so glad I found you!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am so relieved I have found a place to help me through this time. I have had big horses for a long time, have foaled out maybe 5 horses in my life..but they were 18 years ago.

I got a sweet little mini right at Christmas. She is supposedly in foal to a palomino stallion. The previous owner didn't know breeding dates but thought she would go anytime. Supposedly she has had at least 1 foal..but I don't know anything really about her. She is 7 yrs almost 8 yrs old.

So far the only signs I see are a slight soft swelling in front part of her bag.

I have been leaving her out in the paddock during the day and stalling her at night.

I have researched mini births on here, watched the red bag deliveries videos and it has helped but also freaked me out.

I was told she was not vaccinated and my vet said to not vaccinate at this time. I do have tetanus they sold me to give to mom and baby when it is born.

I really like this little mare and am so excited about a baby after all these years. But this is quite scarey to me to and I sure hope you aunties can help me through.

thanks in advance Lori

minirear.JPG

minisnuggle.JPG

minibb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome - you sure came to the right place. These "aunties" got me through three live births in 3 weeks last April. Check out some of the other threads to see what photos are the most helpful. Can you feel the foal kick? We usually plan to vaccinate the mare one month before her due date but even knowing the breeding dates that doesn't always work! One mare foaled at 303 days gestation, the day after her one-month-pre-foaling shots, and one last April foaled about 6 weeks after her shots. But I agree, don't give the shots now and start collecting items for a foaling kit. You can always do a search on the main forum or a sub-forum for things such as 'foaling" (I think "kit" won't work because they don't allow 3 letter words).

Good luck!

thankyou so much for the welcome. I scoped you all out by reading many posts and I really liked what I saw.It seems rare to find such a kind bunch on a forum. I know you are just what we need!

we are working on a relationship. She is touchy of her udder and when I first checked her udder i was promptly met with a swift kick to the shin. We have progressed a bit beyond that..she is still touchy but allows me to gently touch now with just a few warnings. we have been going for walks as a bonding and training aid. She will be my lil cart horse someday.

her swelling is very soft and seems to be just mostly in front of the udder.

I am working on the foaling kit. Have the betadine navel soak, a small pair of scissors, towels, the tetanus vaccinations, will get ivemectrin for sure.All my girls are due for a good de worming.

I know nothing about the dad.Only he is supposed to be a pretty palomino from Mississippi.

Mare is AMHR temporary registered. She is almost 8yrs old, said to have foaled before, I will want to permanently register her but will be close to $100.00 and it will have to wait awhile.Baby will not be registerable.

Misty is 32 3/4 inches measured to first hair on mane. She is an adorable little thing.

I have had horses close to 30 years now. They are the air I breathe.I have foaled out a few mares..but close to 18 years ago.My first baby in forever! I have had foal fever for about...well 18 years:>)

I have 4 big girls. Ebby spotted saddle/racking 13 yr old. Angel 14 yr old spotted saddle mare. Lou 9 yr old spotted saddle ( my girl:>)) and dottie a grade QH palomino auction mare that is 7 yrs old.

I have always said when I am too old for the big girls I will have a mini..as I can not imagine life with out a horse. I am able to still enjoy the big girls but love the minis too. Best of both worlds.

I am 55 yrs old, raising 4 very excited about a foal grand kids. I also have a cat (stray) 2 gineas and a several dogs.

I will be happy to get photos.I will appreciate all of your help in this endeavor. thanks so much Lori

I can not figure out how to get single spacing..sorry for the double spacing

Hi and welcome from Wales UK.. Im sure you will find all the help..support and information you need right here in this crazy world of mini madness
default_yes.gif
...what a pretty girl she is and Im looking forward to following her progress and seeing her new baby when it makes its sneaky way into the world..I wouldnt worry too much its a time to relish and savour as it will soon be over (easier said than done i know )..Im sure she will be just fine but dont forget to keep us well informed with lots of pictures of her progress..how exciting another baby on the way
default_aktion033.gif

I tried to do some research on her..but don't really know my way around. So thank you!her name is NMR Sandy's stormy mist

dad is fluhr's silver twister(grey)

hemlock brooks silver and cody's silver mist(grey) grandparents on sires side that go back to komokos silver cody and fluhr's painted lady

dam is copeland's little marty(palomino white)

grand sire

copeland's red j jay

gr dam twin pines jackie

got pictures of belly but could not get udder shots

1)grandaughter in middle on 15 yr old angel spotted saddle mare..never rode before but took 3rd youth gaited overall. Very proud g ma

next 2 )desirae and angel and 3rd)..destanie and desirae on angel. 4and 8) Dottie 7 yr old auction grade QH sweeeet girl #7 with my granddaughter danielle 5 and 6 ) lou 9 yr old spotted saddle,,my riding girl 7) ebony spotted saddle/racking mare 13 yrs old picture was at 3yrs and picture 9) is my hubby on a rare ride on ebby last summer.

and you already have met misty. So here is my equine crew that I love dearly

Copy (2) of DSC00862.JPG

Copy (9) of DSC00850.JPG

angelandgirls.jpg

dottie.jpg

loufeelingbetter.jpg

lou.jpg

ebbyroundpen.jpg

DSC00991.JPG

joeebby.JPG

Hi and a huge welcome to the Nutty Nursery - great to have you and Misty join us. That's a great family you have there - many thanks for the pictures.
default_yes.gif

Looking forward to more pictures of your very pretty Misty asap, and dont forget to keep the questions coming - as has been said, we just want to help these wonderful little mini mares get their babies safely on the ground!

Hi and Welcome!!!!
default_saludando.gif
You have definitely come to the right place...the ladies here are wonderful with advice! Misty is such a cutie
default_wub.png
Her color looks like my silver dapple filly Pippa (thats her in my pic). Sorry if you said and I missed it, but where are you from? Can't wait to watch with you for your foal! ~jess

Welcome Lori! We are more than happy to have you join us! Feel free to ask tons of questions, they are all worth asking and there is almost always someone on here who can help answer
default_smile.png

By the way what is your new minis name? She is adorable! I cannot wait for her foal to arrive
default_yes.gif

I am just calling her Misty. Thanks for the welcome all, it means a lot to me to have some folks who know their stuff to be here with us. I just wish I had some idea of her breeding dates. My vet doesn't offer after hours service..so I hate that.

I wonder about selenium. We are in a selenium deficient area..wonder if I need to do something? Also wondering about fescue. I do not know if the hay I have has fescue or not. Do not know if she was on fescue before or not. Could I put her on a complete feed to be sure she doesn't get any fescue? I will start searching for fescue free hay also.

what do you advise for feed? I have been giving her small amount of a locally produced fed. I know it is well balanced for this area..includes selenium. I do not know what they had her on. Know when I first got her and put the mineal block in she acted ravenish for it.

There are many things to wory about especially when you get one already bred. I will be so glad when i t is done. I could wait forever if I just knew everything was going to be okay

I am 45 miles north northeast of Nashvill TN. It hs been raining and slushing for 4 days now and everything pretty much is a muddy mess. I am glad her stall and corral except for the entryway is at least not mud.will get the belly and private parts shots posted soon..will try for bag shots again. That is quite the feat trying to get. comical. thanks again lori

Hi Lori

You have a very lovely bunch, and I know I shouldn't have favourites but Dottie looks adorable! Welcome to the nursery!!

Hayley

Hi Lori, I Joined this site at the beginning of December and all of these lovely ladies have been my saviour. I have never foaled beofre and it is very scary when you start to look into everything but I feel alot more confident now with the help of all the aunties. MOlly is keeping everyone on their toes and constantly guessing but she is looking really well so we will just wait and see..I look forward to watching your cute little mini, welcome again
default_luck.gif
default_risa8.gif

hayley Dottie is a sweetheart. I went to several auctions looking for an Appy. None I liked so went home empty.The last auction I did a walk thru..didnt see any apps and decided to not bid and just watch em go thru. I am not sure how I got Dottie. I liked her and got carried away with the bidding. I hadn't even seen her up close. I know very stoopid, i ought to know better. well I got her and named her Miss'd dot cuz i went for an app which I had wanted for 15 yrs...and came home with a palomino.

Lucky for me she is an angel. A bit lazy which works out well for me as I have a granddaughter that was very afraid of riding. She has been a good match. God does watchout for fools...

Kehranc...I am so thankful I found everyone. I am really nervous about this one. I don't remeber being so nervous when I foaled out a few big horses years ago. Perhaps I was just to dumb to think about all the dangers.

so if I can not find fescue free hay are you saying it is ok to buy the bagged alfalfa cubes? I will look into those other feeds also . Thanks for the advice!

I am hoping for a hemlocks brooks silver legend look alike. What a beauty.. Thank you for the pedigree information. That is just so fun. Tried to print it out..but of course printer is being a putz.

I wonder what we will end up with? All I can find out is dad was a small palomino.. It would be so nice to know more about him.They don't even know his name as she has had several homes and was bought bred by the folks I got her from. Hoping for a filly, but a healthy foal of any color or sex will be much loved.

Anyone venture to guess what our foal will be? I see some spots in the background..that would be awsome too.

I do have her temp papers..they are stamped duplicate. I will want to register her..just can't do it so soon after Christmas. Buying santa presents for 4 grands..and buying a mini well..I spent it all!

thanks again for the pedigree info. I appreciate it, Lori

Anyone else notice how many of the colors are incorrect on that Pedigree? I think Hemlock Brooks Silver Legend was a silver black (silver dapple) not dapple gray. And it looks like a silver day labeled chestnut, and you can't get gray from 2 chestnuts. So be careful trying to figure out what colors are possible for the foal! Testing your own mare might help. Palomino is easy: ee (red) plus one cream gene, but it CAN hide silver or agouti (which you need for bay or buckskin). So unless you know what the palomino might be hiding, you could end up with just about anything!

ETA: and 2 red roans (ee) can't produce a black-based blue roan.

Bummer about the confusing colors..I know in another forum a lady who has bred for along time says Grey is not even a color. I am assuming that all those greys are in fact silvers. Is silver a color?She feels my girl has a very good chance of being homozygous for silver. But that doesn't really mean anything since we don't know what genes the male has right? All it would mean is that she would throw a silver gene into the pot.... which I don't think tells me anything other then Baby would have at least 1 silver gene. Isn't a palomino just a dilute sorrel? From what I am understanding if we get that sorrel color then the silver dilute will not act on it and I will have a sorrel? Not sure I got this correct,

I know grey horses can be born dark and then grey over the years,into almost white. Is a silver then born the silver color and stays that color?

like I said UGH:>)

how does the spotting gene work.? What do you think are the odds of a pinto?

make shifted some equipment to do some long driving down the road today> She is either VERY smart or this aint her first time.doing this. I haven't a bit small enough so just hooked up long ropes to her halter. it went well!

I'll get hubby to upload the pictures I took today of her. I cannot figure out how to do it on this computer.

these are the pictures I got of Misty yesterday and today. Doesn't look like much of anything happening any time soon to me. What do you all think?mistybag.JPGmisty.JPGmistyhoochie.JPGmistysiden.JPGmistywalkabout.JPGmistydrive.JPG

mistypreggo.JPG

I just wish the Registries did some kind of "prelimiary" screening when registering colors. Then, we would have a more adequate picture of what the colors might be. I've known people who have sent in the correct colors from testing, and have the registries change the colors to what they "accepted". What a mess!
You ain't just whistling Dixie with that... I registered my babies this year, they got 2 out of 3 right. Junior, silver black (silver dapple), no problem. Monte, black dun (grullo), no problem. Manny, smokey silver black, they listed him as chestnut; huge problem, he can't be chestnut out of a cremello mare. I would have been satisfied with silver black or silver buckskin; but Chestnut?
default_doh.gif
When I spoke with the registry, they said they go by what color they look in the pictures.
default_doh.gif
Oh, and they didn't like my chosen prefix, but someone in the office (I think maybe Zona) said it was ok. My prefix is "He11 Coulee". [Gotta change those Ls to 1s, as the board's PC police will change it to heck. Can't write my address here either, same reason.]

Latest posts

Back