so glad I found you!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics - thanks! With all that hair it's a bit difficult to tell, but her tummy certainly looks pregnant. From the look of her teats I would say that she has had a foal/s before???? She's a pretty girl, nicely made and looking good, so my advice would be to just keep an eye on her udder and look for any changes that will give you an idea of her progress.
default_yes.gif

I am not positive but I think I saw movement along the right side of her belly today. I wanted to feel but She seems a bit cranky so I only watched. Could have been breathing and wishful thinking.

anna I was told she has foaled before. I know nothing about how it went.Thanks for the welcome Lori. I am glad I happened upon everyone here.

You prob did see a movment if you think you did
default_thumbup.gif
..how exciting i used to sit and stare at my mares belly for ages waiting to see some kicks from within..never fails to amaze me a new life..i cant wait to see her baby its going to be very cute
default_wub.png

misty is very cranky today doesn't really want to be bugged. Quite a bit of ear pinning at me today. I brushed out her tail and noticed it is very relaxed. I can pull side to side and up with out much resistance at all. Is this a sign or could it just be that she is not clamping her tail because she is trusting me more?

I got alfalfa timothy cubes today..I just didnt feel comfortable with straight alfalfa. It goes against everything in my past horse experience. Do you think this will be okay?. Also going to call the guy I got the hay from to see if her hay has fescue in it as I would like to keep giving her a little bit of hay.. got omalene 300 and ivemectrin wormer. Now I am BROKE, but have food for her for a little while.

I could not remeber the name of the mineral I was told to get. I hope with what she hasnow she will be ok. I do have 3 old selenium shots i had on hand whenI raised goats. They are probably 3 years old but guess if I needed them it would bebetter thennothing.

Anyway thats our update today.The kids thought she looked more belly under today then to the sides. Hard to tell with all that hair.

My personal choice would have been the timothy/alfalfa cubes (I was going to mention them, but didn't get around to it, sorry), so they should be just fine.

Hi, welcome from a fellow "still kinda new at this foaling stuff". One experience with one mini, same mare. I love silver dapple. She looks like she is going to shed out to a very eye popping dappling in spring!

Anyway thats our update today.The kids thought she looked more belly under today then to the sides. Hard to tell with all that hair.
lol...My other minis get furry, but my little silver dapple filly looks like a YAK in the winter! I need to post you a pic of her in winter coat and then in summer coat. It is amazing what you find under all that thick brown stuff when you shave them down in the spring!

I sure would love a picture of yours. Her papers say silver dapple but you would never know with her winter woolies.When I shaved her face and lightly shaved the burs out of he rlegs and belly...I could see dapples. Was very happy.Wish spring would get here..I am excited to see how she looks not in foal and with a slick coat.

I have a question on feeding.

I have no idea what she weighs , she is 32 3/4 inches , and how to switch her to alfalfa/timothy cubes and omalene. She seems a bit chibby to me already.How much do you think I should give?Tand do I soak the cubes?

This morning I gave her like 10 cubes and maybe 2 cups of omalene..when I soaked it it looked like a lot so only gave her half.of it and will give the second part at her night time feeding. She still has her hay for now.

Also I have used beat pulp shreds soaked for my other horse sin the past. good or bad to add to hers? Thanks

The first two pics are Pippa last november/december and the last one is her in the spring. Horrible pic of her (i was also hugely pregnant so her feet never did get finished clipping..lol) but it shows her color well! I think you are going to be VERY please with Misty in the spring!

314304_418923251476517_1469237318_n.jpg

599840_418923234809852_210098180_n.jpg

306738_418923444809831_884042695_n.jpg

pippa is gorgeous! Love the long legs.And of course her color. My nicname for Misty is stubby. I know minaitures are sposed to be elegant..well ummm Misty looks like a stubby:>) Love her anyway. Just hope the foal has some legs LOLOL

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...the winter coat can be decieving there too! Right now she looks like a short fat pony with thick legs...until I stick my hands into her coat. Im sure Misty will shed off into an elegant little lady!

Misty is very loving today. Coming when I call her name and doing some of her snuggles I love so much.

Her privates do not look relaxed and is pink. her tail is not relaxed today.

The back of her udder does seem to be getting that soft, squishy, spongy feeling that the front has had for awhile now. Other then that..not a thing happening.

Glad she is doing perfectly...
default_yes.gif
So whens our baby gonna get here? Any guesses? come on help a newbie out.

We have been doing our long line walks every couple of days. smart girl! are ALL mini's so smart?

Trying to gradually change her over to the cubes and omalene, Nervous that I may screw up and founder her, never had a mini to feed before. Keep reminding myself cups not pounds!

Glad she is doing perfectly...
default_yes.gif
So whens our baby gonna get here? Any guesses? come on help a newbie out.

We have been doing our long line walks every couple of days. smart girl! are ALL mini's so smart?

Trying to gradually change her over to the cubes and omalene, Nervous that I may screw up and founder her, never had a mini to feed before. Keep reminding myself cups not pounds!
Well, its still pounds, but its 5-7 pounds rather than 15-20# (<2# grain vs 3-5+#, although, I never fed my saddle hroses much grain, they were purely pleasure horses and got what they needed from their hay and pasture). A mini meal is still sometimes hard for me to wrap my head around; I had saddle horses for almost 20 years before getting my first mini.

I've found my minis to be very smart, sometimes too smart. I have one mare (well at least one) that is very good with opening gates and latches, so everything is chained around here.

Pippa is gorgeous! Colored just like my Lily, spring silver dapple, summer black with flaxen mane and tail, winter the same chocolatey with blonde dapples! I have been so busy I still don't have all my pics loaded on this 'puter, and my other software disc won't load, so I will have to find time to put on the picture back up disc's.

I use a kitchen scale $30 and it works outstanding, has for 4 years. I estimated Missy's weight at a normal 248 and she is 33 inches dead on. I use the easy formula developed by the Kentucky Research Dept. and then once had a chance to weigh her on a scale and the formula was only off 3 pounds. So since she burns up a lot of energy, is a slow picky eater, she always got 2% or a little more of her weight so she gets 5 pounds of total daily feed including hay, supplements, cubes, etc. While pregnant she was a hard case with bouts of laminitis, so we had to be careful, tested hay, took out all feed except 24 hour soaked Timothy hay and worked her up to the diet my vet developed with a researcher (long story) but she is now on as much alfalfa, Timothy cubes soaked, beet pulp soaked, and her LMF supplement 1/3 cup, Omegashine, probiotic because she tends to lose her appetite while pregnant ( ? finicky mama). We are also in the middle of an unusual cold spell highs of around 8 and lows of -17. All are blanketed now because they can't eat enough in this cold to keep up the weight. Jewel is my littlest, 30.50 and a chow hound. She gets 1.5% of her weight except for now with the cold or she will look as wide as she is long, I really have to watch her. Now is not a problem so she eats alfalfa with her mom because it is so cold. She and the others also get all the grass hay they can eat now. During summer I have to muzzle her frequently or she will eat any and everything in sight.

That gives you some examples of how I take care. In my avatar Missy is about 4 weeks from foaling I think, so you can see she never puts on much weight.

well heres pictures from today. So hard to get the milk fountain shots. nipples still small pointing in and some soften all the way around on udder. Thought maybe the private parts picture looks a lil more relaxed but really I can't tell in person.Even the examples online I have seen,,I have a hard time recognising relaxation in the private parts.

This sweet girt follows me around her corral. is lettingme touch her everywhere now. Just so cute!misty face.JPGmistycxx.JPG

mistyprivates.JPG

DSC04224.JPG

DSC04225.JPG

DSC04217.JPG

Finally got a few shots of her udder. Can any one respond?XXXteats.JPGteatscxxx.JPGxxxsidecute!.JPGrtside.JPGprivate.JPGcute!.JPGleftsidex.JPGlove her.JPG

Do you see any changes from previous pictures? Thanks lori

Doesnt really look to to doing much changing yet to me. She still needs to fill out her milk jugs unless she is a maiden and then you just never know. Honestly her belly pictures I am having a hard time "seeing" due to her heavy coat. But if you think that she is close to due then I woud not chance trying to body clip especially this time of year. She is a cutie and I LOVE her dapples and cannot wait to see them better when she sheds or is clipped up. Sorry I was not much help to you.

Back