Small Breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you breed for profit?

• Yes. It's a business, and everything is for sale...for the right price

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Yes. But we only sell selectively

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • We breed sporadically and only when we want something for ourselves

Votes: 21 28.0%

• Total voters
Although I had 8 foals last year, I think now I officially will fall (going forward) in the 5 or less category as a breeder. I had planned for years to keep the baby that Butter was carrying - regardless of sex. Was actually hoping for a colt, as it turns out it was a filly. I am planning only one foal for 2012 and since the mare is maiden (Raven) there's no telling if I will end up with a foal or not. It's not in my hands. But hoping for a healthy colt, but will take anything.

As for profit or not, last year I did make a profit, but ONLY because I didn't have any astronomical vet bills and sold 18 horses! During any normal year, I don't make a profit once I add in my feed, vet, tack, wormer, farrier, etc. I do think it's possible to make a consistent profit, but not probable. In my opinion, you MUST have a highly sought-after stallion who is currently "hot" and then have the quality mares to breed him to. If his babies are winning, his babies are selling. The other way I think some people may make a profit is on volume. They breed for 50+ foals per year and they don't command high dollar, but the quantity puts them in the black. Of course, if you're stalling 50 mares, feeding individually, paying for bedding, trimming every 8 weeks, floating all teeth as needed, vaccinating all horses, etc., I don't think you can make a profit on the volume theory. You must be pasturing your horses, trimming only as absolutely necessary, floating only when absolutely necessary, etc. But just my opinion.

Interesting thread.

I don't breed so shouldn't be reading this. But one of the 2 reasons I don't is because I know I could NEVER, EVER part with them. EVER.

They might go to a ''good home'' but how long would they stay there and then what?????

Stupid, hey?
Not stupid at all. When they are sold, you have no further control over them. Contracts regarding buy back, etc. are next to impossible to enforce. I once sold a colt to what I'm sure was a VERY good home. However, they lost interest after a time and sold him on to someone else. He nearly starved to death in that next home before he was sold again (based on pictures I took of him when I owned him) across country where I believe he again got a good home. I know this because the last owner I had contact with contacted me asking me about him, showed me the pictures she based the purchase on and pictures of him when he arrived.
default_no.gif

With this being Thumper's first foal "Crop" - more than one - they will be for sale. We're hoping for some outstanding babies. Of course that's what I'm saying now since they aren't here yet!!
default_rolleyes.gif
But that IS the plan to offer them for sale. I've been pretty picky with my mares and hoping for some great crosses with him. We have heavy Buckeroo mares, and also some top performance bloodlines - Dandy, Candyland's Best Kept Secreat, Lutes' Komo BJ etc. Should be some awesome foals. Can't wait!!

We are a small breeder in the past 4-5 foals a year

this year we took a year off so no foals expected here

We do plan on breeding 4 mares for 2012 if all goes as planned

We have made a profit in the past a couple years

as a business but we also board a few full size horses

who help to fund our minis

as for the minis we have made a small profit a couple years

if we don't count trainer/showing costs. LOL

But we do our own shots and grow alot of our own hay so that helps alot would love to do our own trimming as thats a big bill we could save on every 8-10 weeks have taken a lesson from our farrior and have some tools but have just not started to try anyone yet. We have also been very fortunate with vet visits. and do sell most of our foals.

Weeeeell, all I can say is we TRY to breed for profit but it rarely turns out that way.
default_biggrin.png
When you only have 3-5 foals a year but you've got 8-12 mares and 2 stallions, and you pay for top quality feed and hay, have farrier care and worming every 2 months, annual shots, send mares to foal-out facilities, have the best vet care on a regular basis each and every time it's needed, pay to have all pastures fertilized several times a year, repairs and maintenance on tractors/ trailers/ trucks, improvements to your farm/ barns/fences, AND you try to show a little too - it's pretty dang hard to make a profit. We usually do sell all of our babies but sometimes we keep 1 or 2 now and then. We would LIKE to sell them all to show homes but a home where they are loved and well taken care of is more important.
default_yes.gif

Out of the small breeders (ie. 1-5 foals/year), who plans of keeping all or any of the foals this year.
I voted "We breed sporadically and only when we want something for ourselves".

I have two stallions; a 6 year old "senior stallion" that I am very happy with (and least of all because he is a stallion) and a yearling colt that I am hoping to consider my "junior stallion" in the future if he continues to mature as he is and if he proves to me that he is worthy. I intend to send him out to a professional to be trained to drive when he's old enough and I would really like to "performance test" him before he is ever allowed near a mare. I also have four mares that are of breeding age. I am also expecting my first "homebred" Miniature Horse Tuesday (LOL) and I am really excited about that! All of that said, I do NOT consider myself a "breeder". I have no plans to sell the coming foal. I occasionally sell a horse but I do not sell horses as a business or for profit (please do not delete or edit my post as I DEFINITELY have NOTHING for sale nor do I intend to have anything for sale anytime soon so this is NOT a sales pitch) and I usually only sell a horse to "cull" it and I usually only "cull" horses that I have purchased that I later decide did not meet my initial expectations, NOT horses that I have bred. I actually still have two "big" horses that I bred years ago (one of which I sold, regretted, and bought back last Spring).

We're doing less breeding because I'm finding that it becomes more difficult emotionally to place them in the right home
I'm finding this to be more and more true as the years go by, especially with the shape the economy has taken. Too many horses may initially sell to a good home, but then as the situation changes they are passed on maybe multiple times. My perspective probably isn't good this morning, as I spent much of last night helping out a mare with a bad dystocia (mare ok, filly lost) and it's heartbreaking after all that to know they may end up in a bad situation down the road.

We have had anywhere from 2 to 8 or 9 foals a year for the last dozen years, but only have one coming this year. I love the mare and will be happy to keep this foal, jury's out on that until I see what she has. I may not breed anything for next year though - I have 30 horses, some older mares & a couple of senior stallions, plus more youngsters than I can get shown myself so it's time for a break. If I have a change of heart it won't be more than a mare or two.

Jan

I answered C - Didn't intentionally enter into breeding with that in mind, however.

Coming from big horses, someone forgot to tell me that these babies were small

enough to hold in your arms and rock them.

Changed my whole point of view. An empty nester they became our children and are

all happily living as a family. Unlike your kids they don't grow up and leave home.

We could breed more but family planning is the best plan for us.
default_yes.gif

Breeding for profit - now that's a concept! I'm glad to have the break-even years and yes we run as a business. Last year was pretty darn close to being profitable, until we took in the rescues. If the Minis are close to supporting themselves I'm happy. Besides one bad vet bill year and 'profit' is non-existent.

As Parmela said though, some of the super-farms, I don't know how they possibly manage hundreds of Minis. I had 100-160 for a couple of years (not mine) and it was truly alot of work. Farrier days - he came and stayed 2-3 days so we could keep everyone on an 8 week schedule. I never gave as many vaccinations in that time period either, let alone deworming, injuries, etc., then foaling out 50 mares - never again! Manure management too, we had a guy that just cleaned up manure in the lower pastures every day - it was not fun. Learned alot about breeding and herd dynamics, which I'm thankful for, but never ever again.

As for your poll, I didn't answer it. We breed 1-10 mares a year with one or two foals that are likely never going to make it on the sales list, but the goal is to have ALL foals for sale.

Latest posts

Back