Sinus infections

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My four year old mini mare has had an ongoing sinus infection since she was 8 mos. old. We have done a course of antibiotics as a yearling and three year old. My vet was under the impression the infections were allergy based, but when we finally did x-rays recently there were large tooth roots up into her sinus from a couple of the molars on each side. Although he insists on stopping the antibiotics at this point, there is still slight white opaque drainage at times, and I am concerned that the infection is still in progress. He instead put her on expectorants, since there was not enough in the sinus to warrant an irrigation.

Does anyone out there have experience with this? The vet waits until the infection affects her eating (giving her a sore throat) and lung symptoms before treating her.

How are these infections usually managed? Is it normal to wait them out like this?

We had a very similar experience earlier this year. The vet ended up prescribing SMZs for a full six week run. He was not positive it would work, but we wanted to try something else before considering oral surgery. We were fortunate, and it worked. Finally a dry nose!

Chronic nasal discharge in a horse of this age is more likely to be a gutteral pouch infection rather than a sinus infection. If the pouches are not flushed then a cure is unlikely and no antibiotic gets inside the pouch. He would need to be scoped to diagnose this.

If it is a sinus infection then long term antibiotics should work. You can culture the bacteria to help in choosing the right drug.

Dr Taylor

Chronic nasal discharge in a horse of this age is more likely to be a gutteral pouch infection rather than a sinus infection. If the pouches are not flushed then a cure is unlikely and no antibiotic gets inside the pouch. He would need to be scoped to diagnose this.

If it is a sinus infection then long term antibiotics should work. You can culture the bacteria to help in choosing the right drug.

Dr Taylor
Thank you so much for responding to my horse's sinus problem. We did culture each round of antibiotics, and the last round we tried 2 different drugs for a total time of 5 weeks on antibiotic. Her eating is still very affected, and I was worried. I'll suggest your approach to my vet. THANK YOU!!

We had a very similar experience earlier this year. The vet ended up prescribing SMZs for a full six week run. He was not positive it would work, but we wanted to try something else before considering oral surgery. We were fortunate, and it worked. Finally a dry nose!
I love it when things work out! I am glad your horse is well, and thank you for sharing.

Latest posts

Back