silver question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Does it cause a palomino to be smutty or chocolate? I know its not suppose to be expressed in red based horses but?

My understanding from Dr. Sponenberg is there's suspected to be a different, little-known gene that causes smuttiness.

Leia

Since silver probably doesn't affect red horses (a few people think it does leave traces on some red horses), it would not affect palominos either. However, cream does actually change silver in some cases, causing the silver to have less of an effect on silver blacks and silver buckskins for example. Some silver buckskins look pretty much like normal buckskins in fact.

I've often noticed a subtle effect from silver on red based horses causing a noticeably flaxen mane (although silver is not always the cause) and a lighter, buff coloring on the belly and lower legs. I also believe that the silver gene on a palomino causes a lighter shade of palomino.

Smuttiness is caused by another gene that may be related to a form of natural camouflage.

I've often noticed a subtle effect from silver on red based horses causing a noticeably flaxen mane (although silver is not always the cause) and a lighter, buff coloring on the belly and lower legs. I also believe that the silver gene on a palomino causes a lighter shade of palomino.
I believe that is more likely to be caused by Panagre (which will show on any color) than by Silver (which will show on only Black based horses).

No, Silver has no known effect on Palomino....if you think about it, it really isn't possible.

This filly is chestnut with silver:

solitaire710-12-8.jpg

solitaire210-12-8.jpg

Most of her mane is white, but in the photo of her running you can see part of her forelock in front of her ears. Not a trace of flaxen, her red is dark. No light coloring on belly (of course can't tell on her white legs hehe). She is very DARK, MUCH darker than her very flaxen mother. There would be no way (other then testing) to know she's silver. But she has a homozygous silver parent, so I KNOW she is. Simply doesn't show on reds.

Jessi

We've been through this 100 times...I am personally willing to accept that someone breeding loads of Silver carrying Reds, from a known source of Silver, would be able to tell those Reds from their own, non Silver carrying Reds, as we do get used to the shades and nuances of our own stock....just as Appy breeders can often look at a little black colt they have bred and state it will spot out...and it does!!!

BUT I do not believe that Silver really affects Red in any consistent way, so I don't believe the same Red Silver breeders could look at just any horse and tell if it carries Silver.

Not going to happen!!

The dark shading on Palominos is caused by Sooty.

Here is a pic of my filly of this year (already heavy in her winter woolies
default_biggrin.png
). In this pic she looks like a draft-horse LOL because of all that hair.

Sire is a silverdapple and mother a traditional golden palomino.

Matar herself looked a somewhat cremello-like when she was born but when she grew older she became white..a sort of silverwhite I recall.

She carries silver; her colour is a silverish white, I can hardly call it palomino but it must be.

When the sun shines a silver shade lies over her coat, even now with winter woolies rapidly growing.

Her eyes aren't darkbrown like her mother or father, but are paler, greyish.

Besides her colour she is just adorable!

Matarokt08.jpg

THANK YOU! Everyone.

With all the tests now available I'm trying to figure out what to test for. Songcatcher I will have to research Panagre I've never heard of it before.

Latest posts

Back