Silver Bay VS Liver Chestnut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible it is Flaxen...we still aren't certain how or even if, flaxen affects Black.

bflairusethisone.JPG

Would like to know what color you think this mare is. She has had no testing. I always thought silver bay, but not sure.

I dont ever have luck putting pics on here but I do have a silver bay pinto mare and a chestnut pinto mare that I think look a lot alike. They are on my mares page here: http://windyacresminiaturehorses.webs.com/mares.htm

4th mare down is the silver bay and 5th is the sorrel.

I can see how people have a lot of trouble seeing the difference between silver bay and sorrel (or liver chestnut). Liver chestnut is an odd color to me, doesnt look chestnut at all so seems weird calling it that.
default_smile.png

Marsha

Well its hard to wrap your arm around it when you have a horse going from this

56809Redfoal.jpg

to this

56809RedObstacle1.jpg

I love this boy's color. When I first bought him I really liked him when he was bright red, I wish I had better pics to show. When I got him as a weanling he was literally brown. It was an amazing transformation. I think both parents are black bays. I'm so excited that he will be showing again next year.

Horse girl I would say your's is silver bay.

Here's my main Silver Bay - he's tested homozygous for black, and homozygous for silver - heterozygous for agouti. The Appy screws with his color enough that a lot of people think he's either sorrel or palomino.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ohmt

Wow Thanks! Yours is the first I've come across then. Still interested to see others out there as well. Sorry to say I dont know much about how Roan and/or Sabino affects the coat color. If I ever figure out how to correctly size a photo for posting then I will have more questions for Roan and Sabino coloring experts too. I find color and pattern genetics very fun! Just want to learn more.
default_yes.gif

just found this topic, Jax what a great topic!!
default_biggrin.png
I absoloutly love all the silver bays/ blacks etc...

all of everyone's horses are absoloutly beautiful!!

here are my two mares... being so new to the mini world I would have thought my girl Penny was chestnut with flaxen mane and tail... but maybe she is a silver bay?? lol totally confused now hehe.

my other mare I'm pretty sure is definitley silver bay.
default_yes.gif

so this is Penny.

041111.jpg

when I go home for lunch I will take some pics of Suzie to show you her colouring...

So would Penny be silver bay aswell? Thanks I love all this colour stuff!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Well its hard to wrap your arm around it when you have a horse going from this

56809Redfoal.jpg

to this

56809RedObstacle1.jpg

I love this boy's color. When I first bought him I really liked him when he was bright red, I wish I had better pics to show. When I got him as a weanling he was literally brown. It was an amazing transformation. I think both parents are black bays. I'm so excited that he will be showing again next year.

Horse girl I would say your's is silver bay.
This is the liver Chestnut thread and I think yours may be the only one I have seen so far. maybe one other possibility. Very nice! I was beginning to think maybe there is no such thing.

I have not tested this boy, but both parents are chestnut in appearance. He is foundation Shetland. I have always considered him to be close to a liver chestnut:

Image3_small.jpg

Image2_small.jpg

Image1_small.jpg

I will list a horse on my website as a 'silver chestnut' when I know it is carrying the silver gene. It is more for the viewers information than a description of the color.

Ok heres one:)

I was pretty convinced she was a bay, she has black points on her ears, black in her mane and tail. However on her legs its very strange, she has some black but there is a deep sorrel color there too. And the black is barely visible over the top of her socks. I was told she was a dark chestnut. I didnt think Chestnuts could have ear points?

12-11-12008-1.jpg

Bonny-with the appy and 'pinto' genes at work with your mare, it's hard to tell! There is Mars Rosebud pictured earlier in this thread that looks very dark, but is 'red', but appy can also make a bay look almost 'red' too.

Here is a 2 yr old bay appaloosa + sabino colt of mine. He does not have the black points as he should and his mane and tail are coming in 'grey'. I think in a few years it will be hard to tell on him whether or not he is bay or chestnut as he varnishing out too.

061511094608.jpg

So it's hard to tell on your mare.

Ok heres one:)

I was pretty convinced she was a bay, she has black points on her ears, black in her mane and tail. However on her legs its very strange, she has some black but there is a deep sorrel color there too. And the black is barely visible over the top of her socks. I was told she was a dark chestnut. I didnt think Chestnuts could have ear points?

12-11-12008-1.jpg
I think your mare is a bay sabino appy. I have a Shetland mare that looks the same - minus the spots. She tested to be a bay sabino. The give away on my mare is the darker spots on her ears (almost points) and some black running down the center of her mane. It's hard to see in this photo, but the forlock looks gray. BTW she was tested and is negative for grey, silver, and cream. This is Tequila:

CrossCountryTequilaSunrise2_small.jpg

CrossCountryTequilaSunrise_small.jpg

Liver Chestnuts come in many shades.

Maggie is what I call a medium Liver Chestnut, as she fades a lot when she is in the sun. If I blanket her all Fall, winter, spring...until her new coat comes in, she is a lot darker.

Here is a Link of Liver Chestnut colors.

just found this topic, Jax what a great topic!!
default_biggrin.png
I absoloutly love all the silver bays/ blacks etc...

all of everyone's horses are absoloutly beautiful!!

here are my two mares... being so new to the mini world I would have thought my girl Penny was chestnut with flaxen mane and tail... but maybe she is a silver bay?? lol totally confused now hehe.

my other mare I'm pretty sure is definitley silver bay.
default_yes.gif

so this is Penny.

View attachment 5174

when I go home for lunch I will take some pics of Suzie to show you her colouring...

So would Penny be silver bay aswell? Thanks I love all this colour stuff!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Sadly, I see no signs of her being Silver Bay. Her lower legs have no charcoal color in any shade. But she is a very pretty light chestnut.

Latest posts

Back