Sick foal losing hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
We have a 8 day old foal that got sick 5 days ago. He had fever, diarrhea, rapid breathing and lethargy. We took him to the vet last Sunday and he was placed on fluids, penicillin and gentamicin. He also has had biosponge which took care of the diarrhea. His IgG was fine. The 2nd day the vet confirmed that he is septic and he is to continue on the antibiotics for 2 weeks. He was nursing better. The third day he stood more. Now he is losing hair in clumps and is bald on his face. The diarrhea has returned. He is no more active but seems stronger (fighting injections more) and nurses well. Ideas on the hair loss?

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that the hair loss in young foals is attributed to fever. I had that happen with one of mine when she was young like yours, and when the hair grows back, it is downy soft.

Here are photos of her...

hairface.jpg
hairbuttleft.jpg
hairbuttright.jpg

I have had sick foals loose hair too, i always use Baytril, and Penn, and always thought it was due to that, but maybe it was the fever. septic foals are hard to save, glad your guy is doing better. nursing well and fighting you, are excellent signs,

Sorry I can't help but I am sending
default_pray.gif
that he gets well soon. Kay of Baxters had a septic foal last year, you might want to chat to her.

In case of help, we have had them lose hair due to simply rubbing their faces. Muzzle and above eyes. It has corresponded with the onset of hot weather. It alarms my husband each time
default_wub.png

Hair loss is due to fever and the foals inability to grow good hair while all the energy is going toward healing. Once the the foal is healthy, the hair will regrow.

Dr Taylor

Thanks for all of the responses. It is my last live foal that I have been fighting to save. Fortunately I caught his illness right at the start and took him to the vets. He is still depressed, and sleeping alot. No foal play jumping around his stall. He is nursing well now, ever since a couple of days on antibiotics. I gave him Bio Sponge when needed and fluids for a day. No fever for 6 days, but yesterday his hair started falling out in clumps. all around his face from under they eyes down to the muzzle, behind his ears, neck and back end. This has been a really bad year for me. I was only expecting 5 foals, two by my now 3 year old stallion Riverdances Windborne (which no one knows about yet, his dam is a multiple AMHA World Grand Champion producer and a daughter of Whittmaacks Mickey Mouse). Anyway, his first foal was a palomino colt, who was hip locked and died before we could get him out. Then two live fillies by Desperado and Prince, then this colt, who is a Prince son out of my Best Kept secret daughter. He was my first red bag birth and two days after birth, went septic. We have no idea why, because his IGG was very good and his umbilical cord was treated. the day after he was born, one of my best mares started to give birth. It was her first foal and was by Windborne. I could not believe it, another hip lock. (these were my first two hip locks in 14 years of breeding). The vet tried for 2 hours, but we could not get the foal out and had to put down my mare. So, two hiplocks (both Windborne kids), one red bag where the foal went septic and the loss of my 4 year old mare. Sometimes I wonder why I am doing this. Then I watch my two healthy foals running around, and I know why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Rough year is an understatement by far and I am sorry to hear all this unfortunate news for you. I am hoping your little colt is doing better and it is nice to have beautiful foals to put that smile on your face, for sure!

My vet told me that some/many red bags are due to a placentitis. So the septicemia could have come from his mom in utero. I had one red bag this year (our first) and it was due to a placentitis. Mom was flushed and treated and baby was given 'super' plasma and watched for three days. I believe baby was also given antibiotics.

He is hanging in there, although still not bouncing around like the other foals. He is stronger at fighting Sue when she is guving him his shots The placentitis has occurred to us as well. He also is smaller then we would have expected and I have wondered if he was a little premature. His tendons are a little lax and he has a very soft coat.

He is still doing well on his antibiotics. He is getting more active and we are bringing him out for a while each day to strengthen his legs. He is such a nice colt!

Barb

The poor baby is almost totally bald on his head, neck and legs. I will try and get a picture of him for everyone tomorrow. Funny looking guy now.

Latest posts

Back