Showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this board and live in the Uk, I've just recently purchased two miniatures who have changed my life for the better. My question is I would like to show them both in yearling shows next year but how do I get them in show condition as obviously they are both still to young to long reign or lunge etc. Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks Netty

default_saludando.gif
Hi! Thanks for joining the forum! I showed 4 yearlings last year!

They need to know what "Whoa" is so they will stand and they need to let you set thier feet.

Also.....allot of it has to do with what you feed them to get them looking in show condition.

Most of my yearlings didn't need thier neck wrapped. And I would allot of times free lunge them or

pony them down the road with the 4-Wheeler.

Welcome. I am new to this board too.

I show yearlings every year. I work them in a round pen as well as behind the gator (or golf cart if you have one). I use neck sweats and body sweats. What and how you feed them is important too. I picked many a brain at the AMHA World shows over the last couple of years to find out what the top trainres where doing.

The hardest thing is to get their bellys up, especially yearlings as they are growing so much. You have to constantly monitor them to decide if the amount of feed and type of feed is right. I use supliments to as I am monitoring them.

I also show yearlings and use a good (but simple) feed program (about 50/50 complete pellets / soft hay with flax seed as a top dressing). I do free lunge mine for about 15 minutes every other day.

I showed my yearling as a youth all season. Make sure you have a good worming program, and get a feed that will accompany how much your free lunging him.

Thanks for all the replies it's nice to be able to pick the brains of experienced people. I'm sure I'll be back with lots more questions.

Latest posts

Back