Showing halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
We are headed to our first show two weeks from today. We hadn't really planned on showing this early, so I am running like mad to get everything put together in time and I have a few quesions.

Do you have to have a throatlatch on the show halters? I've seen them with and without in the catalogs, but I couldn't see anything in the rulebook that addresses this.

Can the handler crouch down to show the horse? Shake seems to do better if I get eye level with him. I haven't seen this done on any of the video I've watched on youtube, so I'm not sure if that's okay or not.

Is a very small piece of celophane (sp?) okay as 'bait?'

Is it okay to work the horse in the show ring after the session is over for the day or before the show starts, or is it like dressage where they aren't allowed in the arena unless showing?

There isn't a show farrier listed in the premium book. Do the shows have official show farriers and is it common to call ahead and make an appointment with them, or is it just a first-come-first-served kind of thing?

and finally...Can anyone tell me what to expect from the measuring process? Do the announce over the PA that they are ready to measure and give a location or do I have to make an appointment with the steward?

Thanks.

I am not an expert but I think I can address some of your questions anyway.

Very few people seem to use throatlatches in the shows we go to. But I HIGHLY recommend the buckle end leads, not the snap ends. Saw a horse get loose in the ring at my last show from having a snap come undone. Luckily it was a well behaved mare, not a young stallion!!!

I have seen handlres do lots of things in the ring, so I think crouching down is OK. I have done it myself when I have been so tired I could barely stand up!

I have used the cellophane off of a Snapple bottle as bait and it works very well. Just be careful that it isn't so loud it disturbs horses near you. Many people use mints (the wrappers are great) or pull grass before they go in the ring.

Usually you can get into the ring before the show, as it is not like dressage where you can't practice. Now if you are doing obstacle, that is different as you must stay off the course.

I have never seen a farrier at the local shows I go to - maybe the bigger shows are different, but your mini isn't going to throw a shoe!

Usually you check for where to measure as soon as you get to a show. In our area, measuring often starts about an hour before the show and you look for the line! You should have your paperwork with you and have blankets/slinkies removed - or ready to pull off. People in line can help you.

Don't forget to have fun!!! And learn all you can.

Do you have to have a throatlatch on the show halters? I've seen them with and without in the catalogs, but I couldn't see anything in the rulebook that addresses this.

No, you do not have to have a throatlatch. I prefer to NOT have them (plus it's an added expense). I think it looks okay on some mares, but for stallions and geldings I think it looks too frou-frou.
default_smile.png

Can the handler crouch down to show the horse? Shake seems to do better if I get eye level with him. I haven't seen this done on any of the video I've watched on youtube, so I'm not sure if that's okay or not.

Yep, you can do pretty much whatever you like. Generally, people will only crouch down with weanlings and very tiny minis. Otherwise standing allows you to ask for a more upright neck I find. But if you watch enough halter classes you will see all sorts of contortionists! I've seen the funky chicken dance, the hokey pokey, and everything in between.

Is a very small piece of celophane (sp?) okay as 'bait?'

Yes, just don't be overly distracting with it.

Is it okay to work the horse in the show ring after the session is over for the day or before the show starts, or is it like dressage where they aren't allowed in the arena unless showing?

The show ring is generally available for exhibitors to work horses while the show is not in session. Usually it will be groomed before hand, but I have worked horses after the day has ended for the night and often they will open the arena during lunch for driving horses to warm up.

There isn't a show farrier listed in the premium book. Do the shows have official show farriers and is it common to call ahead and make an appointment with them, or is it just a first-come-first-served kind of thing?

Personally, I just make sure my horses are trimmed/shod before I go to the show. I know a lot of Shetland people make use of show farriers in the event of a loose or thrown shoe. Some miniature people will use the show farrier in the event they are having trouble measuring their horses in, to trim some off. In a lot of cases, the farrier is not always on-site for the entire show, but more "on-call". As shows are required to have a show farrier, you can ask for the farriers' numbers at the office I'd guess. I've NEVER had to use a farrier at the show in ten years, but with my pony and his shoes I'd imagine anything is possible.

and finally...Can anyone tell me what to expect from the measuring process? Do the announce over the PA that they are ready to measure and give a location or do I have to make an appointment with the steward?

The Steward is usually in the designated measuring area (the show staff will direct you when you get there) an hour before the show starts and then is always on-call for measurements during the show. They usually have a radio or PA system to page the Steward to the measuring area. Very large shows often will have measuring available the day before. If you have an early class, just make sure you get in line (at our shows, there is a long line!) at the measuring area. Have your registration papers with you and make sure you don't have any sweats/blankets/tail bags etc. on your horse for measuring to make the process faster for everyone.

Have fun! You will be just fine... there are always lots of helpful people to make the process not so bad! Make sure someone takes pictures so you can post them after you get home with the results ;)

Andrea

As far as a farrier goes, you should have all of your work done before you get to the show. If you have a rasp it never hurts to toss it in with your show stuff. I wouldn't want to wait until I got to the show to have my horses feet trimmed and add the stress. Also, I have never seen a farrier at a show.

Thanks for all of the great answers. Shake has an appointment with his regular farrier on the 3rd. I wanted to have him done the week we are leaving for the show instead of the week before, but the farrier is going to go on vacation and the 3rd was the closest to our leaving date (the 11th) that I could get. We should be okay.

Andrea, I would never have known to have an extra copy of his papers with me for measuring. That was a sensational tip!! Thanks heaps!!

The show premium says that they will start measuring on Friday, the day before the show, so I think I want to get it knocked out then. Shake doesn't show until Sunday, but that way, it is over and done with.

Also good to know that I can longe him in the arena. I hate to longe him at two, but he will be totally bonkers by Sunday, if I keep him locked up Friday and Saturday. So, I got a longing cavesson and we are learning how to longe. I'm just doing a few minutes each day at the end of his workout so that he knows what it is all about.

Andrea, I will take pictures. Leia would hang me by my toes over a bowl of cold oatmeal if I didn't send her some from the show. lol

Thanks for the support, guys!

Have a great time at your show, be sure to let us know how Shake did in his classes....

A tip for copying papers: I scan them into my computer and print off lovely color copies for show entries. Plus I can e-mail entries instead of mailing.

I have a question concerning the face grooming. Do they do a close shave around the eye and then goop the grease on it as we do in Arabs? You still have to have actual hair but I have noticed that I am seeing darkened eyes and wasn't sure if they are as greasy as we are.

On the troat latch we (arabs) get dq'ed if we don't have a throat latch or if we can't fix a broken one in the showring. I think if you have a perfect necked horse I would use a troat latch to enhance it. If you have a thick necked horse then use a larger concho to bring the judges eye forward to the face.

Carla and Spike who says *l Don't need that crap...I am perfect in every way*
yes.gif

I did color copies of papers one year. Noticed at the show that no one else went to that much bother, so now I just do black & white copies too.

I haven't seen anyone use a throatlatch in the show ring--I am glad it's not a requirement, because I don't care for those little chain throatlatches they use on the Mini show halters.

Hi Mominis I have been trying to reply to the PM you sent to me - but when try to send it to your box it says you can't get messages - maybe your box is full..?? Anyway hope we meet at Carthage. Sounds like we may be showing in the same classes on Sunday!! I show my under mini on Saturday 3 classes; my over mini on Sunday 3 classes. This will be my 2nd show and Halter class was fun last time. However I know that you're not suppose to do anything that is or could be distracting to those other horses/exhibitors around you. There was a girl in halter last weekend that kept stomping her feet really hard in the halter line up - I wasn't in the class - I was just watching - but everythime she did it the horses next to her would break out of their stand and have to be set up again, etc. I think it says alot if you can go out there with your mini and not have to use any props or as others on here said do the 'funky chicken' dance etc. Just have fun that's what all our mini's are about.
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks for leting me know about my inbox. I don't think it's full, but I'll go check it directly. I'm not very good with computers, so I probably have something set up wrong. lol

I am so excited about this show! How fun that you may be in the same class with me! We only entered the 2 year old geldings, not color or the model. I wanted to just show in one class to get my feet wet and then maybe try two at DuQuoin. I'm seeing Carthage as a learning experience and want to pick up as much as I can about how the AMHR shows and the pony shows go and the differences between the classes, etc. Some of the class descriptions are hard to follow in the rulebook.

I'm so glad that you had a good experience at your first show. I know you were really excited about getting your yearling in the obstacle class and I'm happy to hear that it went well. Who are you showing at Carthage? Names and classes? We are going to watch all day on Saturday and I will be your built in cheering section! lol Good luck and see ya there!

I again tried to PM you and it says: This member can't receive any new messages!

So I'll answer your PM to me here: I guess we aren't in the same class in Carthage. My 2 year old mare shows in 3 classes on Saturday (Lakeview's Diva) classes: #46 Amateur Halter Mare- Under; #58 Mare, 2 year onld 33" & Under; #65 Multi color mare under. My yearling filly shows in 3 classes on Sunday (KDH BuckNRose Little Blaze) classes: #267 Amateur Mare-Over; #279 Mare 1 year old - Over 32" to 36"; #283 Solid color mare-over. If the photo on here is of Shake - he is gorgeous - you should have put him in the multi color - gelding class as it is judged 100% on color only - easy class - and his color looks stunning!! When you get to the Carthage show look on the stall reservation maps for my name: Debbie Harris and come and introduce yourselves - would love to meet you - because we only live about 30 miles or so from each other. See ya there!

Yep, that's my Shaker-doodle in my avatar photo. Thanks for the nice comments about him. I have got to get a new picture, maybe we'll get a good one at Carthage! I will definately look you up when we get there. We will arrive Friday afternoon, so plenty of time to socialize. This will be our first vacation in YEARS, so we are looking forward to it!!

Mominis said:
Andrea, I would never have known to have an extra copy of his papers with me for measuring. That was a sensational tip!! Thanks heaps!!
You usually get the one you entered him with back from the show office in time to measure but it's always nice to have another one on hand. Plus that way the inevitable crumpling doesn't ruin your good copy!
default_laugh.png

Mominis said:
Also good to know that I can longe him in the arena. I hate to longe him at two, but he will be totally bonkers by Sunday, if I keep him locked up Friday and Saturday. So, I got a longing cavesson and we are learning how to longe. I'm just doing a few minutes each day at the end of his workout so that he knows what it is all about.
I don't know that you'll be allowed to lunge him in there. You can work a horse in the arena between sessions, meaning set it up for halter or drive it, but lunging makes things difficult for other exhibitors and is usually frowned upon at my local venues. I'm a night owl so you'll find me in there at midnight when everyone else has gone to bed and nobody cares what I'm doing, but during the day I lunge in the parking lot or wherever I can find.

Mominis said:
Andrea, I will take pictures. Leia would hang me by my toes over a bowl of cold oatmeal if I didn't send her some from the show. lol
You bet I would! Hehehe. Shows are all about the pictures...otherwise it's not worth doing all that work for five minutes in the ring!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

My show halter came with everything including the throat latch strap. This tiny chain seems to be more problems that they are worth. The halter stays on just fine with out it. To me it is like a necklace chain with a ring on each end to hook in the side conchos. Really hard to get fastened if you have stiff fingers. I don't think I will use mine.

Latest posts

Back