Showing a "A" mini in a "B" class???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Im not sure so I'll ask all of you here...

I have a 34" mare who measures on the dot (even by a steward). I have shown her as a "A" in the past.

My question is, if I dont trim her hoofs down she will measure 34.25-34.50". Can I show her in "B" if I want to?

Reason Y is, I want to show at a AMHR show this yr. I have shown her there before in "A" classes. Everyone knows she's borderline at 34". BUT I have a 30" mare I want to show as well and they both fall under the same classes if I show the 34" mare in the "A" classes. My 34" mare visually looks about 35-36" because of her body style BUT will and has measured at 34" on the dot.

Can I do this so Im not wasting my time only travling to that show and spend all weekend for only 5 classes and 1 horse? That way Im showing 2 horses and in 10 classes.

Hope ya all understanding what Im saying.

default_smile.png

I have an AMHR registered mare who is 34" on her registration papers. We took her to an "R" rated show and she (of course) measured over. We were able to show her all weekend in the "Over 34" classes. Might want to have a steward chime in for sure, but that's been my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can, But I have seen instances where the "A" papers have been revoked (If she is also registered AMHA) If not, no worries and have a great time!
default_smile.png

I believe it is however they measure in at that particular AMHR show. If they measure over, you show them over, if they measure under, you show them in the 34" and under.

It's what Carolyn said, it is up to the steward. I've had it go both ways, one gelding we showed all year as a B measured in at Nationals as an A, and a filly I was showing all year as an A, measured in as a B, go figure! The right at 34 "s can sometimes go either way, depending on the way the horse relaxes or stands for measuring.

She shows at whatever she measures as at the show. Many trainers can make a true 34" horse go either way, depending on hoof. Just make sure she has the body to go up against the 38" horses in those b classes, thats generally the disadvantage.

Thanks guys!

Im gonna try it.

Here's the mare I think should do well against the bigger B's.

post-18407-0-72972700-1322546613_thumb.jpg

post-18407-0-81423700-1321116699_thumb.jpg

She looks great, MindyLee! I'll look forward to seeing you at the shows around Michigan this year!

Yep, I have not one but two that I have to watch and decide. My mare I always try to get under but my elder gelding can hold his own in the taller class so rather than have two under geldings, I let him go over. Showed him that way all last year.

Now if you go to Nationals it might be another story as they try to be exact and you will need him to have the longer hoof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I would have to also weigh is it worth a chance of getting your papers revoked??

Your papers would not be revoked. However, she would get moved into the "B" division if she measures over 34 and she is permanently registered as an "A". This of course is only for AMHR. I'm a steward and Have had to do changes occasionally. If in the future you wanted to try to get her back into A division, you could take her to another show or hire a steward to measure her, and if she measures, another change could be put through.

I think they mean the AMHA Papers getting revoked after someone complains that the horse showed as a B--but don't they measure the horse before AMHA pulls the papers??? If so and you can still honestly get the horse under 34" then it wouldn't be a problem.

She is a true 34. BUT if I dont trim her down then she will measure 34.25-34.50".

OK heres another question...

Classes for B is 34-38"

Would if I keep her at 34 but enter her into the B classes anyway? Then she could show there still right? If they switch her to a B size 34, I dont care about that. As long as she's still reg as a 34.

Its not like I'll ever show at a AMHA show since non are in MI.

AMHA will not revoke papers from a horse measuring over at an AMHR show. It could happen at an AMHA show, but you have to be measured a few times, which gives you ample opportunity to trim the hooves WITHOUT causing lame or sore horse.

MindyLee--the 34-38 division is actually 'over 34 and up to 38". If the horse measures 34!then it shows in the 34" and under class.

If I am not mistaken, you would have to measure the horse 3 different times at an amhr show and measure over each time before the papers are expected to be changed. I have seen many horses that have 34" and under on their papers show in the over classes--even at the nationals. They would just show in the division they were measured in for that show. Also, if she is 3yrs old or older, you will only have to measure her one time for the whole year except nationals.

I had a mare that would flip flop as she was right on the edge. If all else fails cut a bit of the mane off

I had a mare that would flip flop as she was right on the edge. If all else fails cut a bit of the mane off
Been there, done that! By mistake, but they measured at the long hairs... she grew an inch! Still measured under, though, whew!

Great point on the mane, never thought of that one
default_smile.png
Im always leaving as much as possible of her REAL mane and not body hair.

So yep, she will defently measure over 1st time with just a lil extra hoof left on (without any soreness) and take a lil off her mane!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Don't clip the mane!!!! You can still tell what is mane and what is body hair, just feel the fresh bridle path vs bodyclipped parts.

You won't fool anybody.

Back