Show options for unregistered horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
I am looking for a larger mini to drive and as a pet and for my child (she is just a baby so not for a couple years). I do want to be able to show just for fun in case my daughter wants to or if I want to. I will not be breeding. I have seen a couple unregistered minis that seem like they would suit, but are there show options for my daughter or for driving for me? Or should I stick to a registered mini? I do want a quality mini of course with good movement and conformation. Otherwise all the minis I have been interested in have been too expensive or too far away.

You can show unregistered stock at your local 4-H open shows, or any open shows in your area. But to be honest in this economy you can buy a registered horse cheap with good conformation if you look for it.

If you even think you might want to get into showing, then I'd say get an AMHA or AMHR or double registered mini. If you think far enough ahead......will you're daughter want to just show or drive or ride. There are some AMHR/ASPC ponies out there that are not as fine boned as some of the AMHR minis but still can show as a mini (height less than 38"). Then depending on her size she could even ride that pony for a few years.

It makes sense to look to the future even if all you want to do now is have a little fun. Saves money in the long run over having to buy or trade/sell and re-buy.

I never thought I'd really want a mini over 34" when I got started (gee, only 8 years ago). Well, now I really enjoy driving my 37.5" guy plus my granddaughter who's been doing leadline with the minis can ride the bigger boy. She's just about to outgrow (and she very small for her age - 6) my 34" old man.

If you want to show in CDEs which is driving...no papers required. Since you don't know what you want, you might want a horse with AMHA or AMHR papers (or both) I have been giving away registered horses lately...so you just never know. I will say that minis are like potato chips, you can never have just one! Papers don't make a horse safe, so knowing that most people end up with several, get the unregistered horse if everything else is good for you. Go to open shows and get your feet wet. Then the right second horse will present itself.
default_firstprize.gif

There ARE places to show unregistered minis, but why would you want to limit yourself if you don't have to? It will cost you just as much to feed and care for the unregistered mini as a registered one. And in the long run those costs will easily eclipse whatever you pay for your mini in the first place. This was a lesson I learned in 4-H over 50 years ago and still true today! My parents bought me my first horse and then it was up to me to pay for her upkeep. Boy, did they get the best end of that deal!!!

Now, if just the right mini comes your way - healthy, SAFE, good conformation, and temperament - and it is unregistered, I wouldn't turn it down, but in this economy you should be able to get a registered one at a very good price.

Personally I find that there are so many registered minis for the same price as non registered you might as well buy them instead. And it will be cheaper than hardshipping if you want to do a breed show later down the road.

I do prefer registered for sure, but everything I seem to find locally that is registered is too young. I prefer something older than 6 and most seem to be sold as breeders over that age. Thanks for the info on showing - my last horse was a TB, but I showed jumpers not breed shows, and the mini world is new to me.

Then you need to look into what type of shows are available in your area and what type of showing you want to do.

CDE or carriage shows are all driving and they have levels of showing similar to dessage (less experiene being easier).

The breed shows we refer to AMHA/AMHR (you may find one is more prevelant in your area than the other) have a variety of classes. Halter, obstacle, showmanship, jumping, driving, costume, and there are classes for the youth.

Open shows such as 4-H, Pinto and local saddle clubs the classes will depend on your area. Our area only offers halter, color class, and obstacle which makes their "show all day for one fee" no "deal" at all. Also if the open shows have driving the arena will be plowed up for the big horses and your mini will have trouble pulling a cart through the sand and deep dirt.

Thanks Sandee - I know with have AMHR/AMHA shows, and I would like the option if possible. See the reason I was even thinking unregistered is that there was one particular gelding that I really liked and even my hubby liked him - he usually just doesn't care, but he was unregistered. I passed him over to continue searching and regretted it later. I did not know that 4-H and Pinto were open. I do wish that all the horses I am interested in were not at least 12 hours drive or more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you are in Colorado. Welcome to the forum, btw!

I would suggest you contact Brenda Sellwood (user name wsellwood or wpsellwood, can't remember) here on the forum. She is in CO and although she probably only has registered ones and probably over what you want to spend as most, if not all of hers are world/national champion caliber, but she's been in minis for SO long (and was a TB trainer I think before that and her hubby was a jockey) she will likely know of where to send you. That way you get some guidance on where to buy and some security in knowing they are reputable sellers. Plus you'll make a great friend an she and Warren are the nicest folks and would be happy to help you get started.

Good luck!

I would not consider Pinto "Open" - they are Breed shows, nationally recognized and pointed. But if you buy a pinto patterned unregistered mini, they can be registered and then you could show there. The shows in New England are fabulous - lots of classes, many competitors and a ton of fun. And you still get to see the "big horses"!

And isn't that what I said above? If the right unregistered mini came along, I wouldn't turn it down in your place!

Latest posts

Back