Show harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
I have been looking at show harnesses. Does everyone use leather? I have noticed the biothane harnesses and people in the "big horse" world like them. Do some use biothane harnesses in shows? I love this forum, I have gotten so much information from it.

A lot of people in the CDE and carriage driving world use synthetics with both minis and big horses, I'm not sure which "big horse" competitions you're referring to. There's a huge difference between what's used in Arabian Park Driving classes and Halflingers in parades for instance!
default_biggrin.png
Yet both may be synthetic.

Many mini show harnesses like the Lutke use synthetic materials for additional strength and are quite popular. Patent leather is pretty much standard on the leather harnesses so no matter what you're going to have an eye-catching, shiny sort of look. Really for show driving the most important thing is to find a harness you like the looks of and then take care of it properly no matter what material it is made from.

Leia

I am a fan of the Lutke harness, which is biothane. I have had mine for ten years and could sell it in minutes for what I paid.

They are gorgeous, well made, easy to care for harnesses.

I have a Lutke harness as well and absolutely adore it! Many people I know them as well and have high opinions of that particular harness. They're beautiful in the showring and they're easy to take care of.

It really depends on your price range of what your looking for, the Lutke harness can get pretty expensive but they are well worth it if you are competing on the National/World level simply because they are high quality and they seem to last forever.

And I agree with you, RKG Miniatures, this forum is great for learning information off of
default_yes.gif

Last edited:
I think the estate folks had to clean harnesses again after I was done drooling over them. Beautiful, quality leather work. I don't have one, but I want one!

I have two lutke harnesses leather/patent/bio. Very fine and beautiful show harness, but start to show some wear when they get to ohh... say 13 years old. One one in it's mid teens is now showing some weak points and needs repair.

Smuckers leather harness. Only had it a few years though it is in it's teens. Heavy duty, not a fine harness, but holding up well. Really well. I don't feel bad about using it for practice, and it can go showy. Feels nice and stong.

Soft biothane harness from?? Purchased it in .. 98? Still feels strong and soft, but the biothane has started showing cracks in places. No weakness in harness, just in finish. Still not as fine as the lutkes or estate harnesses.

Hard biothane from? At least ten years old? Shows no wear whatsoever. Still stiff. Looks really flashy and bright. I prefer a softer harness, but this one is by far the easiest to clean and has been bullet proof. Still, I've usually grab the smuckers or soft biothane first. Not my first choice, and I usually point people in a different direction.

I've looked at a few no shine biothane harnesses, but they are either bulky for what I like or look like they could stretch. I saw a website awhile back, camptownharness.com that isn't what AMHA folks are showing in, but it had harnesses that looked like they would be great for play or sport.

Too fun! Please, let us know what you decide. We need a customer review section here so we all are able to get the best stuff!

Both my daughter and l have a Lutke for each of our driving horses and love love love them great fit refined look and the best part no cleaning after a show just wipe and store. We also have 4 leather harness some going on 20 years old that are still holding up and aside from regular cleaning/conditioning some small repairs are still favorites...we love the relax time required to clean leather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Estate harnesses, the deluxe version. At under $600, they are a real bargain, such excellent, quality work. They definitely hold their own at ANY level of showing.

Here is a full Camptown Harness in no-shine betathane. I love my Camptown for CDEs. Ally girl gives it 4 hooves up! It is not fine harness by any stretch, but it is beautifully made, well-proportioned, and extremely durable. This one is the two tone model, with russet leather underlying the beta.

lincolncreek07cones1.jpg

lincolncreek07marathon1.jpg

Edited to add a couple photos of Ally in her Estate Deluxe Show Harness:

Cavalcade2007-driving3.jpg

Cavalcade2007-driving1.jpg

I loved it so much I just bought another one for Esprit.

I am a fan of leather harness, Double Diamond tack has a really nice leather show harness I have been drooling over. When you look at leather side by side with Bio I think leather always looks better.

The Lutke harness looks nice but is hard to adjust and has no spine channel, sure would never use outside the show ring!

I just purchased a beta harness from Iowa Valley Carriage. I got mine with a few extras like chrome chain on the brow band. Very nicely made and isn't too bulky like some beta harness that are out there for minis. It has buckle in traces, a contoured breast collar. Sandee was wonderful to work with. Cost $400.00. It is really a nice harness. It is nice enough for show and to be worked in.

CZP1,

Could you post photos of yhour Iowa Valley beta harness? Does it have double shoulder hangers and/or double hip straps? Did someone say if this one has a tree? I'm NEVER going to make up my mind, I swear....

Our favorite for showing is our Lutke harness -- but when we ahve more than 1 a class -- the leathero nes clean up nicely & do just fine.

I would love to have another Lutke harness though for the big shows -- seesm we always have at minimum of 2 driving anymore in a class.

I just purchased a new Lutke show harness and LOVE it. It looks like it'll be very easy to clean and is beautiful to look at! I'm already saving my pennies for another one
default_wub.png

Jen

I just bought a beautiful leather show harness from Ozark Minitack. It is their new one and has all the bells and whistles. They even made the poll piece cut back for me - so I could have extra rooms for the ears. The price was great to at $775.00. Here is the link:

show harness

Gypsygal, that's so funny! I called Lisa at Ozark about buying one of those and I asked her about getting a shaped crownpiece for the ears and she said it had never occurred to her but sounded like a good idea. Then I sent another friend of mine (Dream, here on the forum) to her and let her know she could ask for it. Now it sounds like Lisa's making it a standard thing! How great! I wonder if she'll give me a discount for having given her the idea....hehe.

Leia

You bet !!! We have had 4 people order them since you and your friend asked. He cuts the poll piece back just behind the ears. Your friends is on the way to her - she should get in the next week. I love the ideas I get on the forum for harness. We always take suggestions and if they will work we will implement them. When she ordered hers - I ordered a few for me to try and had them sold before they reached me. Never even occurred to me that it was possible but as usual Mose will try to make it work. I am looking forward to getting my own for the mare Bruce Abbott is driving for me this year - we will definitely be adding that feature.

Thanks Again !!!!

Lisa

PS Gypsygal - please let me know how it fits on your horse. We sent the two I had here off before we could try them on anything we had - plus all of our horses are filthy with full winter coats.

Latest posts

Back