Show halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjnov

Reaction score
Okay so Im buying a almost solid black 2yr old. He has been shown, BUT what colors look best on black? I would perfer not gold, as I love Silver. The only white he has is on his face, and its not much. He is about 28" now, so what do you all think? And where to get the halter from?

How about one like this? It comes from Victor Custom Tack and is a really well made halter. They sell new for about $110 not including conchos, chain and lead. If you want one, you need to place the order over the phone (click the link to see the website).

DUNIT-VICTOR.jpg

LOU-VICTOR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one we got from Star Lake Tack and use on our Black Pinto. This is the one with the wider, tapered noseband and I can never remember which one it is - the Sheperd or the Shiloh.

princess_n_cowboy_heads_1.jpg

How about one like this? It comes from Victor Custom Tack and is a really well made halter. They sell new for about $110 not including conchos, chain and lead. If you want one, you need to place the order over the phone (click the link to see the website).

DUNIT-VICTOR.jpg

LOU-VICTOR.jpg

Thank you, I will take a look at their website. That is a pretty halter.

Here is one we got from Star Lake Tack and use on our Black Pinto. This is the one with the wider, tapered noseband and I can never remember which one it is - the Sheperd or the Shiloh.

Do they have a website? That halter looks really good against black!

Heir3.jpg

I like silver on black horses. This is a slightly different noseband than the others you've been shown. Don't ask me where I got it though........it was at a vendor at a show. :bgrin

I posted this mostly so you could see the colors on a black head. I like this color combination myself, and it seems to look nice on our other pintos too - a gray, a palomino, and two chestnuts. One thing you might consider is the open ring on this halter vs. the closed ring on the Victors. We use a closed ring style for safety on our chestnut pinto stud colt (a plain black one). We have never had a halter come off in the ring but we know it can happen.

Star Lake is at Star Lake Farm . We had very good service from them. We bought the conchos at the same thime and they put them on the halter for us.

It is the "Designer Series Shepherd Halter". I have the same halter but with a burgundy and gold noseband for my show gelding, Tibbs Sundowner
default_yes.gif
: Sunny looks better in ferules (vs. conchos) which I could get on the Designer Series Shepherd Halter, but not on the Victors that I love on most of my other horses.

Star Lake Tack's Show Halters

ALSO, Star Lake is a good place to get leather show leads with buckles (vs. snaps -- my preference) at a very reasonable price
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Heir3.jpg

I like silver on black horses. This is a slightly different noseband than the others you've been shown. Don't ask me where I got it though........it was at a vendor at a show. :bgrin

Wow! That one looks good too. I know how it is with vendors, you never know who they bought it from.

I personally like silver on black, but I did buy a burgandy one for my black gelding. He looks sharp in burgandy. I also like the look of the Teal on them as well.

Just FYI, the black and white Pintos modeling the halters are half-siblings, living on opposite ends of the country.

The great thing about black is it goes with everything :aktion033: But, I really like simple and classy colored show halters...even on a color like black that everything goes with. I think with the really bright colors(bright teal, red,etc), the first thing you notice is the bright colored halter, not the horse. We pretty much stick to either black and gold or black and silver(both in the style of halter that Targetsmom posted). Both combo's are really simple, but very elegant looking on every colored horse. We use black and gold on our buckskin, palomino and chestnuts. We use black and silver on my silver bay(pictured in my avatar) and my mare who clips out white.

I'd stick with something simple and elegant looking, even on black. You want the whole picture to flow and not to have a bright colored show halter that sticks out enough that your eye is only drawn to the halter. I really like the black and silver on a black horse
default_smile.png

Jen

WOW I like that halter. It's hard to tell from Star Lakes site how nice their halters are and that really shows it. I might have to get a couple of that.

Thanks for posting that pic.

I have to say I like silver to, but some horses just look better with a hint of gold. I personally like the Black patent nose bands and also the Burgundy. those two colors seem to fit a wide colour range. As far as where to buy them, Look under the miniature horse breeders connect, you will see tack venders. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back