Show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for Leia--much as I hate to disagree with your level of expertise, I have to stick with my original assertion--yes, a fair number of miniature drivers doing CDE-type driving probably do, and will, use the A axle Jeralds(usually, with the 'newer', 12 spoke wooden wheels), but that is most likely to be because the driver also does breed show ring and already owns one acquired originally for that breed show ring-or chooses that type vehicle because their primary or original interest was/is in breed show ring. and they reason that they can use a Jerald or comparable for two of the phases of a CDE -- or even, as MiniHGal has stated she does, can conveniently borrow a Jerald A (with suitable wheels)for the Dressage and Cones portion of a CDE . The point I was making was that if one sought to choose a SINGLE vehicle to be an 'all-around' CDE vehicle, none of the breed show ring 'fine harness' miniature vehicles I've ever seen would be the best choice ...not really even if they HAD a suspension and a seat back--which as you noted, they don't ....and even those two 'additions',alone, to the way they are built might not make them suitable as a SINGLE usable vehicle for VSE CDEs. As you yourself do, most(at least, once they rise above the most basic,Training Level of CDE)have another vehicle for the marathon phase---and then, of course, a Jerald(or Houghton, or any similar vehicle with suitable wheels), would be OK for use in the other two phases. For larger horses, I surely don't believe you will often, if ever, be seeing Jeralds or similar 'fine harness' show ring vehicles(they ARE made in 'big horse' sizes) being used in ANY phase of CDE.

Margo

Margo- LOL. You are right, they wouldn't be a good choice for marathon. What I was responding to was this line: "...which is what the Jeralds and Houghtons,and most of the Grabers basically are; you will not see them much of anywhere but in the breed show rings- NOT in open driving showing, nor ADS, hardly ever ,IF ever-at least, not in the style you see mostly in the mini show ring.)" I was only observing that whether they are a holdover from the breed ring or not, you do see them! :bgrin They are very popular for pleasure shows and the dressage and cones portions due to their traditional wooden wheels. I'm considering buying a Graber cart myself because I can't afford the Bellcrown I want and I could use it at both types of shows and be perfectly acceptable and proper at both.

We both know you've been at this game a lot longer than I have, I'm just stating what I've seen.
default_wink.png
:
default_cheekkiss.gif
: Sorry to borrow the thread here! I don't know about your patent harness question.

Leia

. I'm considering buying a Graber cart myself because I can't afford the Bellcrown I want and I could use it at both types of shows and be perfectly acceptable and proper at both.

Leia
a man who i have bought carts and wheels from is now making carts that look like bellcrowns

they have the same torsion axle and adjustable mArathon shafts

unlike bellcrowns they are very affordable- only $1200 i believe :new_shocked:

they are custom made to your specifications

mike is great to deal with, i highly reccommend him and anything he makes :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

you might want to talk to him

[email protected]

he has a website but i don't remmember the address
default_wub.png
:

That would be Mike Groose from Itebte buggys. I have heard good things about his vehicles and he was great to reply to my questions. Now I'm saving my pennies for one of his carts. Which brings up the question: how many vehicles does one mini horse need??? VBG

http://www.itebtebuggys.com/ I have found that sometimes the link doesn't work- I wait a few minutes and try again.

I don't believe that Bellcrowns or Benningtons are much, if any, more expensive than a fully equipped Jerald "A" model(and though I haven't checked lately, I *think* a Jerald w/ wooden wheels might even be higher priced...?) However, the shipping cost is a BEAST, and runs up the cost, considerably! (Though nowadays,even shipping within the continental US can be VERY costly, for vehicles as well as for horses!!)

I have been watching Mr. Groose's progress as a builder of miniature horse vehicles since he began advertising; will be very interested to see how he continues. I did not, and do not, personally care much for his original designs(just remind me too much of viceroys, which I detest...)but am encouraged by his apparent desire to build more versatile,sturdy, and useful vehicles....

Margo

I know Mike, I've been talking to him for awhile now and he's very nice. His new CDE vehicle does have the same general proportions of a Bellcrown but sort of like a lot of people say a Graber is just not the same level of workmanship as a Jerald, well...a Groose is not yet a Bellcrown. They have a lot of experience with the requirements of driving trials he hasn't had a chance to get yet, for one! He did a great job for his first try at this type of vehicle. I have tried this cart out locally in two different incarnations and do not wish to buy one until he either makes his wheels wider or takes down the weight. The Bellcrown's wheels are 1.81" wide, Mike's can't touch that yet and, judging by the 20" steel wheels he made me, are pretty heavy. Not what I want at this time as I'm trying to reduce both my weight and my drag from what I currently have.

The Graber and Mike's vehicle cost about the same, and the A Jerald with wooden wheels and the Bellcrown Minicrown cost about the same. Shipping on all of them is a beast, although I think at least Mike's disassembles to ship for a reasonable amount of money. I was quoted $400 to ship a Bellcrown out here from Driving Essentials. :new_shocked:

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a lot to compare to - I have only had a Jerald A cart - but I've driven it for 8-9 years now and have been happy with it. It is balanced and pulls nicely (yes it IS hard to get into the tack room lol). I just ordered a new Jerald with wood wheels - my driving til now has been in the show ring, but I would like to dabble a bit in the CDE and at least get my feet wet there. The Jerald wood wheels BTW add $800 !!

No one has mentioned A Silver Penney Farm carts - I looked seriously at those when I was considering an easy entry, very attractive carts and priced reasonably but I've never seen one in person.

Jan

I have already spoken to steph about ours, but i thought i'd include our show carts in the topic. www.boinky.net under the "show carts" link. Ours are $600 which includes shipping anywhere in the US. Ours are not as polished as Jeralds but they are quite nice for the price, extremely well balanced and LIGHT (around 50lbs). we are able to customize them as well.

Sue C. has two of ours and i'm sure would probably be happy to tell anyone about them from a customers perspective.

ohh yeah... also we sell other cart hardware such as whip holders ($15.00 for brass whip holders....excellent buy!!), brass Trace clips, dash rails, footmans loops ect.

I am really liking the direction that Mr. Groose is going and like that tea wagon a lot. My fear is that the front wheels don't look like they are in the right place to actually make use of the cut under. He has made a LOT of progress and I look forward to seeing the newer models! I also really like his all steel wheels and hope to get a set for myself here soon!

-Amy

(I have pics of a graber Easy Entry that I can scan and post, but haven't seen their four wheel vehicles other than on the Kateland site)

Get in touch with PrimeDesign for some photos of their Graber carts. We own a couple and are very happy with them. We feel that they compare very well with the Jeralds...except for the price!

The Grabers are narrower than Jeralds, by about 10", making them a great performance cart.

We have 24" wheels on ours as we have taller minis. And larger wheels roll easier for the horse.

Good luck,

Denisee

PrimeDesign Miniature Horse/Shetland Tack

Heres a Graber closed wheel.....................

GraberCLOSED_WHEEL_CART2.jpg

Here's another one

graberother.jpg

Here's a shot of our Graber in "action". It's a bit tight for this 35" gelding but it's so easy to manuver in the obstacle course. It fits our 32" guy much better.

chipTulsaObstacle.jpg

I wanted to bring this thread back up to the front and ask (or beg :bgrin ) someone with one of the Graber carts to show a picture of the pinstriping up close. I have looked on the prime design website at the pictures there and the pictures on this thread and I can not tell if it is as clean as I would like? I do hope so, he seems like he would be easy to deal with and the price is alot easier to get around.

The pinstriping on my Graber is very clean--no problems there. I would get another Graber without hesitation--in fact, my next cart will probably be a Graber closed wheel. I LOVE my open wheeled Jerald for CDE--Margo hit the nail on the head for many of us VSE people--I had it from breed shows, got wood wheels, and use it for Cones and Dressage. I have a Bellcrown for marathon, so I have the best of both worlds!

We use Houghtons and Grabers at the breed shows. I have a 52" shaft and a 48" shaft closed wheel Houghtons that we use for Roadster and Pleasure/CP, and an open wheeled Graber for Pleasure. The Graber is my cart of choice on the smaller A's because of it's lightness. The gentleman at Graber couldn't be any nicer. My biggest problem with his carts is how the wheels lock on-- a HUGE PITA to remove. I bought a set of wood wheels from him thinking I could then use it for our 29" VSE--NOT. It takes an engineer +/- an extensive cuss vocabulary to trade out the wheels. Jerald, on the other hand, couldn't be easier to trade out the wheels.

Jerald on the cones course:

HevanHillCDE2006014.jpg

52" Houghton:

Spooker05Daffy06006.jpg

52" Houghton for Roadster:

Spooker05Daffy06039.jpg

Jerald A closed wheel:

Spooker05Daffy06002.jpg

Graber:

IowaStateFairSpiceDriving.jpg

MassionCityCarriage003.jpg

Graber without boot for Dressage:

SunriseRidgeDT053phototbucket.jpg

Bellcrown:

SunriseRidgeDT017phototbucket.jpg

CedarCreek2006KatieCones3.jpg

Lignite:

HevanHillCDE2006096.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you Dr. Pam![/SIZE] Those pictures and what you had to say has helped or I should say gave me more to think about!

Latest posts

Back