Show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for different types of show carts. So far I can only find Jerald and Houghton brand. Does anyone know of any other brands? I'm just curious to see what else is out there.

Oh, and one other question I just thought of... If you had to choose between an all patent leather harness or a rolled harness with no patent what would it be and why?

Some people use Graber and Superior Sulky brands for show carts. Mine is a Houghton, and I wouldn't part with it for the world (nor a Jerald -- haha!).

I'm not sure which I'd choose of a patent or a rolled w/o patent on the show harness thing. I have one non-rolled patent leather show harness, and it's nice, but now that I have a Lutke, nothing compares!

"Some people use Graber and Superior Sulky brands for show carts. Mine is a Houghton, and I wouldn't part with it for the world"

Where did you get your Houghton? What's different about it? I haven't heard a lot about them and I've heard a lot of mixed responses when I ask about Jeralds. I heard a lot of people hate them because their bulky and heavy.

I tried to send emails to Superior Sulky, but they keep coming back to me. I figured they went out of business. I couldn't find prices on their site either

Is there a website for the Graber carts?

I bought my Houghton right from Houghton directly in 2002. I just love it. I rode in a several Jeralds and one Houghton before picking a Houghton (pricing was similar and not a factor) and I felt that the houghton was a smoother ride. My Houghton is not a bit bulky nor heavy. It's lightweight and such a smooth, quiet ride.

http://www.houghtonsulkyco.com/

I do not think that Graber has a website but someone here may have contact or distributor information. In looking at the Grabers I have seen, the "look" isn't as polished or (???) as a Jerald or Houghton. I think probably Houghton and Jerald are the top picks and the most expensive, and then the other brands are also nice but not as top notch.

Something else to decide is if you want a cart that can convert to roadster or an open wheel cart. Mine is an open wheel. I think they drive smoother and am not all that interested in doing roadster. But, if you are, then you'd probably get more bang for your buck by going with a cart that converts
default_yes.gif
:

I don't think you will find a website for Graber. He is in Indiana. They are former Amish people, now Menonite. We have one of his carts. We have been VERY happy with it, however have never been in a Jerald or Houghton so can't compare them. He builds SUPER balanced carts. If you want his phone number I can get it to you in a little while. It is out in the horse trailer. The one we have has 26" wheels, converts to a roadster, is black with hand painted gold striping and has a cover for it. We paid $850.00. I can't say what his prices are now, though.
default_yes.gif
:

Picasso,

Do you have pictures of your cart?

Eversince Superior Sulky has changed ownership its not a very good business to deal with, if they are even still in business.

I plan on getting a Houghton show cart next year, just waiting on a big check to get in the mail.

"just waiting on a big check to get in the mail."

LOL me too! I graduate college this year and hopefully will start getting a real paycheck. Doing my homework now so that my money will be well spent when the opportunity arises.

I used to own a Graber and was very satisfied with it. I paid $850 w/ a cover back in 2000.

I have some pictures of our cart, but I don't know how to put them on here. Maybe I can figure it out tomorrow. Here is Graber Manufacturing phone number. Maybe he could mail you some info.812-636-7725. His name is Lester Graber. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures on tonight.

I have two graber carts and I love them! I have one closed wheel (that I bought well used and it is still in tip top condition :aktion033: ) and one open wheel, both wood stained finish. They are beautiful carts and the man is very accomadating and you can tell he loves what he does. He even called us when it came time to stain the open wheeled one and made sure the stain we picked out was the right one, as it is darker than most of the natural finishes out there.

~Courtney

I used to own a Graber. It was a closed wheel and would convert to a roadster. The roadster portion was very comfortable. I got a chance to ride in a Houghton open wheel. That's the show cart I would buy next.

Harness---I don't think there is any such thing as 'all-patent' harness; today's patent is a synthetic, and not strong or lasting enough to be the single element out of which a harness is made. Lutke's harness is patent over biothane. For ease of care and 'fancy' looks, as well as being well-constructed, it is hard to beat for miniature horse show harness, but pretty pricey for many people.I have had two Lutkes-they are very pretty, and relatively easy to care for(brass fittings are ALWAYS more work than chrome/stainless, BTW), but also relatively'stiff'. I would never use one for 'everyday', as they are strictly for the level show ring. Rolled looks 'finer', but might present problems in use, as it IS stitched(to 'roll' it)and stitching can come loose-in leather, it is a bit harder to clean, IMO(I have had 'rolled' Western gear, not rolled harness). You also need to keep in mind the horse's comfort, in wearing the harness and having to pull weight using it!

Show carts---Jerald is hard to beat, in the genre-though I imagine that Houghton is quite comparable. I have owned three different kinds of Jeralds-the 'original', closed arch, which has a narrower wheel base, and is a bit more versatile, as it can be used in both A and R roadster classes(and I believe, a bit less expensive,and a bit lighter in weight?)than the 'open wheel'/open axle type, on which you can have either pneumatic OR wooden wheels. Wooden wheels will ALWAYS be heavier, BTW. Graber makes smaller carts; the ones I've seen are perfectly adequate, but indeed, do not show the 'finish' of the Jeralds and Houghtons. I have heard all of the same comments about Superior-just no service anymore-and would not even 'go' there. There is also the option of Road Carts; they are basically wooden, and a bit heavier, though not extremely so, than the 'fine harness' carts(which is what the Jeralds and Houghtons,and most of the Grabers basically are; you will not see them much of anywhere but in the breed show rings- NOT in open driving showing, nor ADS, hardly ever ,IF ever-at least, not in the style you see mostly in the mini show ring.) If you are going to show in Country Pleasure, one of these would be quite acceptable--and likely, more suitable for everyday driving. Pequea, in PA, is one VERY good maker, and reasonable in price--the price of the 'fine harness' carts seems to be continuously escalating!!

I don't consider the Jeralds especially heavy, but the open axle ones are unwieldy to handle, and especially difficult to get into a tack room unless it has a really wide door!! I REALLY like any cart that can be wheeled into a storage area EASILY!!
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck in your 'shopping'!

Margo

Thanks Everybody!

I just wanted to see what all was out there before making up my mind.

The harnesses I was speaking of were on the mini express and star lake tack websites. Mini express has the all patent leather one(or at least that's how it's described) and Star lake has the rolled leather one.

Is there anyone that has these or knows anything about them?

Thanks

Steph

heindle engineering is now making show carts

i have one of their trainer/roadster carts and love it

its rides better than either my jerald or houghton open wheeled carts do

and the stirrups are adjustable!

haven't seen a show cart from them in person yet though

http://www.heindlengineering.com/carts/

i have miniexpress's all patent harness- 5 of them actually
default_wub.png
:

i liked it so much that i bought each of my horses one (i hate adjusting harnesses)

its not as pretty as a lutke but it is very nice

it holds up to everyday wear and still cleans up for the show ring

i've had one of mine for years (and used it daily) and it still looks great

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a miniexpress "all patent" harness. It is a great harness and is not "all patent" rather it is sturdy leather where it counts. My only issue is the traces. I am not a big fan of one piece traces ever since I bought a harness with buckle in traces, but to each there own.

"It is a great harness and is not "all patent""

So what parts are patent leather?

And just a note for Margo- as MiniHGal proves, open-wheeled Jeralds are actually seen quite frequently in ADS events as they come the closest IMHO to the proportions seen on a full-sized road cart. All you need is suspension and a seat back and they would be perfect!

Leia

For the carts, I have a Jerald and a Graber for showing. The Jerald is getting pretty old and I mainly use the Graber now which was inexpensive, lightweight and works really well.

For the harness, I have one from Miniexpress. It was somewhere around $650-700 I believe. It's REALLY nice IMO. It is patent leather with color piping. It's very flashy and top quality.

The patent on the mini express harness is on:

blinders

most of the backsaddle

martingale

crupper strap

and most of the traces

That means that the remainder of the bridle, the bottom girth of the backsaddle, check reins, and tail piece are made of sturdy leather
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back