Show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paintedgates

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking into getting a show cart. I have an easy entry one now. I can show open and local shows with that. I was wondering what kind of cart I needed for AMHA and AMHR. I might be showing some shows next year. What kind (brand name ) do you recommend, where can I find one and what is the going price for one new or used. If you have any pics of some that would be great also. Thanks in advance.

For showing you can use your easy entry cart, as long as it is safe and has a basket. For roadster, you will need to be sure you have the correct type of cart and have wheel guards on it. You will need to check the registry's rulebook.

I suggest you start shopping for a used show cart. Sometimes if you are fast enough you can find them at your local shows, as people always haul them to the shows in hopes of selling them. They do sell pretty quickly though!

If you want to buy a new cart, a Graber may be a good inexpensive choice. I think they start around $850 or so.

I personally LOVE my Jerald cart but it was VERY expensive! They are typically about $1500 or more. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. You can find used carts for probably 2/3 the price of new ones, they hold their values fairly well if taken care of.

Good luck,

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
We build and sell show carts. Just recently started this year. Our prices start around $500 and go up depending on what you want ect. We can customize and semi customize carts as well. We can ship anywhere in the country. www.boinky.net under "show carts"

I use a Graber and love how light weight it is. I showed a 29.75" driving mare this year, so that was important! I have never used a Jerald, nor have I really looked at one. I did get to look a Houghton over this year, and it was VERY heavy.

I've personally been showing in ours all summer and love them. They weigh in at about 50lbs. If you take the basket off they are very easy for me to lift and place on the roof of a car. They are also fairly easy to take the axels/wheels off by removing 4 screws and if you take that off they weigh next to nothing and you can stack them ontop of each other for multiple cart transport in limited space. I have been loving them compaired to the purchased chart I had bought before we got into making these!

I have a Jerald and a Graber..the Graber is really nice because I can lift it out of the back of the truck by myself..I also really like the Jerald though..but it has quite a few years on it..say about 12
default_rolleyes.gif
: The Graber is brand new and I got it for $800. I am going to need to get bigger wheels though as they are easier for a horse to pull.

I have an open wheel Houghton show cart. I bought it in 2003 directly from Houghton and I think I paid about $1600 for it at that time. I just LOVE it. Before buying it, I also tried Jeralds and I prefered Houghton. I have seen Graber and Superior's too, but my preference is for the Houghton (tho all are nice).

http://www.houghtonsulkyco.com/

where do i find the garber carts did a search and came up with nothing of use.

I'm not sure..I heard the company is in Indiana..I bought mine brand new from an individual.

I did a search and came up with this:

Graber Harness & Saddlery LLC

14301 Cuba Rd

Grabill, IN 46741 United States

Telephone: 260-657-3800

Fax: 260-657-3801

We have had a Superior for about 6 years & I loved it -- never thought I would ever have a different kind-- but last year at Nationasl we got a Jerald-- they are MUCH easier to get inot as the basket is lower & the wheel base is wider so they pull easier for the small horses. SO, now we are happy with 2 diferent kinds --

Good luck-- there are many good ones to choose from.

However, the HOughton seems to take a long time to get. My friend won the one at AMHR convention (November 2005) and she just fianlly got it about 2 weeks ago.

It's not mine, but at my barn we have a Jerald that I am free to use whenever. It is GORGEOUS!

I have a Houghton and love the cart.

I wish I could say the same for the survice you receive from the company. I ordered a neck yoke for the team in December and still have not received it. I sent a wheel in for repair after nationals last year and fi got it back in late April.

Buyer beware if you need parts I needed to nuts for it after my grandson took the wheels of and lost them two nuts tow washers and two felt washers $45.00 :eek: :new_shocked: :eek:

Jan

I have a Jerald, and in my opinion, that is the only cart to have. Now here's a picture, for enjoyment of the forum police to offer their unwanted opinions...

sport4.jpg

I have a Jerald, and in my opinion, that is the only cart to have. Now here's a picture, for enjoyment of the forum police to offer their unwanted opinions...
And so say all of us!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I love my Jerald too, so does my horse, but I don't care to have him policed right at this moment! :lol: :lol:

And so say all of us!!
I'm in agreement. :no: I've got pics of me driving our different carts but I have no interest in being critiqued so I won't post them and open myself up to all that.

We have three closed wheel Jerald carts and I love them all and wouldn't want anything different. One we custom ordered, one (my favorite we bought at nationals last year) and one we bought used from someone else. We also have a Graber cart that is just fine but so far we have not shown in it mostly because with three Jeralds we don't need to and given the choice I'd rather be in a Jerald in the ring. The Graber is much lighter and smaller than the Jeralds so though it does fit our bigger minis it has been the perfect cart for our 29" gelding that is now learning to drive.

We did buy an easy entry cart when we first got into minis but I sold it a year later without ever even having used it. I probably should have kept it to use for training but even with our green horse I prefer to use either the Graber or one of the Jeralds. When I've driven in an easy entry it just feels so rough and clunky compared to the Jerald or Graber.

So, from reading these replies, can I assume for Country Pleasure at a recognized show that an easy entry cart with wood floor and wood shafts would be okay? I suppose for Single Pleasure it would be frowned upon, but it sounds like it might be acceptable for Country, then?

So, from reading these replies, can I assume for Country Pleasure at a recognized show that an easy entry cart with wood floor and wood shafts would be okay? I suppose for Single Pleasure it would be frowned upon, but it sounds like it might be acceptable for Country, then?

You are correct--it would be fine, especially since it has the wood shafts and floor. You can have wood wheels for Country too--just need to be sure the arena footing isn't too deep.

Thanks every one I have learned a lot but still dont know what one I like. lol I do have one question. I have an easy entry cart but has metal bottom can I use that for rated country pleasure classes? thanks again

If by 'rated', you mean an officially approved breed show(?)-there is nothing in either rulebook(A or R)-that I know of-that would prevent you using the kind of EE cart you describe in a Country Pleasure class(it does have to have a basket, which I think is what you are referring to when you said "metal bottom". )However, it is a reality of the breed show ring that you *might* not be looked at as readily, all other things being equal, as someone, just as proficient and properly turned out as you, dress and harness-wise, who is using one of the 'accepted' types of show cart. Not saying that's the way it should be, just the way you might expect it to be. The 'everyday' type of metal EE carts would likely be more accepted at local, fun-type shows. Since showing SHOULD be about having a good time and doing your own and your horse's personal best, go ahead and show with what you have, as long as it fits any rule parameters and is safe and properly fitting-and have a good time!!

Margo

Latest posts

Back