Show Awards

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put me in the ribbon section!!
default_biggrin.png
I always keep my ribbons, write on the back and hang them up. I lost my first show horse this year, and it was nice to be able to go back thru his ribbons and relive the memories. One association I'm in did try the plaques with a additional plate for every class/placing this year and it was a big hit. Several years ago the QH people here gave out blue plastic "big gulp" cups with their logo on them to 1-6 with First Place also getting the lid and straw! I'm STILL using those cups! lol Be sure and put in a "recycle" box tho...they always seem to work well. Try one by the out gate and one by the photographer maybe. Good luck with your show!

I have tons of them, but a nice ribbon, as well as sashes, trophies and plaques, are still important to me. I love them and find a place to display all first place and championship ribbons either at home or at my business office
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

For myself, I want a nice ribbon. Our clients seem to want a pretty ribbon also. Rosettes.
And for the big shows[SIZE=24pt]........I want a Honkin BIG ribbon[/SIZE]!
default_laugh.png
You know, like those at AMHA & PtHA World......28" to 30" long. And neck sashes for champions and such. They make awesome pictures when on the horse and are so pretty hanging in the trophy case.

Charlotte
Mee Too! hehe Funny Charlotte! Anybody who knows me.. and makes fun of me.... but I love my rosettes!

~~ One of my Favorite ribbons... a 5th pink ribbon from 2007 Julep Cup

OPEN class... placed above some trainers..
default_smile.png
) hehe

~Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaahhh Sandy, they can laugh at us all they want to! LOL There is just nothing like getting that pretty ribbon as you are standing out there in the show ring. And I've been showing for........shhhhhhhhhh........something over 40 years
default_new_shocked.gif

Now we do donate back all of the 'place' ribbons that are won by a horse we own, but we keep anything reserve Champion and above. I need to rework our barn trophy case to fit more in. My office is 'festooned' (is that the word?) And the armoir in the living room has the silver belt buckles in it and some World Ch ribbons too...and some pictures. If you're as attached to your ribbons as I am, you'll find a place to display them.
default_laugh.png

Someone mentioned the memories attached to those ribbons....Those are priceless.

Charlotte

I think the vast majority of us love the awards, the bigger the better...but I would chose a show with reasonable show fees verses elaborate awards every time.

Ribbons! We have only shown for a few years (for fun only) and it's nice to get something for our hard work. I take pics of the ribbons and scrapbook them along with a pic of those horses at that show hopefully. Reserves, Grands, etc I put out with my trophy collection and pics - the rest are collecting in a trunk. I lost my favorite gelding and only had been able to show him for one year - his ribbons are part of my memories of him - he was the reason I started showing and driving. It's also nice to look at the past years and compare how the horses have improved - other than with just numbers, because I also keep track of their points. I like stick ribbons (with paper on the back for dates, horse's name, show name...) for 3 to 6. Smaller rosettes for 1-2 and larger ones for reserves and grands. I really like purple for Reserves and Grands. Sashes are nice but a large rosette is just as nice.

My 5 yr old nephews went to their first sanctioned show this year. They have not yet learned what the colors mean...green is...well John Deere Green! But when one of them received a blue rosette at our IA Club show (which have our horse logo on it) he handed me all of his stick ribbons, his eyes bright, and said "this one's prettier" right there with all of the judges listening! Yes it hangs in their room along with the trophy and stuffed horses they also won and carried around to show off for weeks. Stick ribbons though hang nicely from their belt loops to strut around with at the show! Gotta have something for the little ones!

...............................................................................................................................................................................My 5 yr old nephews went to their first sanctioned show this year. They have not yet learned what the colors mean...green is...well John Deere Green! But when one of them received a blue rosette at our IA Club show (which have our horse logo on it) he handed me all of his stick ribbons, his eyes bright, and said "this one's prettier" right there with all of the judges listening! Yes it hangs in their room along with the trophy and stuffed horses they also won and carried around to show off for weeks. Stick ribbons though hang nicely from their belt loops to strut around with at the show! Gotta have something for the little ones!
Sure doesn't take those little ones long to figure out which ones are "better" than others. My grandson (3 at that time) got 2nd place one year while his sister got a first. The next year he got another second and even though his sister took third, he still wasn't happy; "I got one like this!". He wanted the blue one for sure.

Count me in with the ribbon people.
default_smile.png
I enjoy seeing small rosettes for 1st and 2nd, slightly larger rosettes for Grand and Res. and large rosettes or neck sashes preferably in purple for overall grand and reserve. I love to scrapbook and take pictures of each horse and their ribbons. It's nice to have something to show for all our hard work. I like the idea of a ribbon recycle box for those who do not wish to keep their ribbons and a great way for a club to save money on ribbons for the next year show.

Our 4yr old daughter paticipated in the IMHC Show last year in which she got a trophy, plush animal and ribbon. She was so excited! She even had to take the trophy all the way to nationals with us.
default_wub.png

Here is one I like, at some of the open shows, you get a t-shirt with the show logo on it and they give out small paper ribbons that you can iron on your shirt. It is a lot of fun to see how others place them on there shirts. They also give out some kind of award for 1st place and high point.

We have not been showing very long and ribbons are nice, but the reason we go to the shows is not for the ribbons but for the people and horses. We enjoy seeing our horse friends, some we only see at this time. We visit, see the new babies and the new horses...how the old ones have improved and how much more confident the owners are. If I had to chose between large ribbons with high show fees to pay for them or no ribbons with show fees that were low I would have to vote for the low fees. With the economy the way it is I am just glad to be able to go to the shows we can and hopefully all our friends will be there also. Thanks for listening

I guess Im somewhere in the middle. I do like to decorate our stalls with our ribbons during the show and I have found that most wont take them as a donate back if you do that (they get dusty, bent etc) I do NOT like the string ribbons for rated shows. Fun shows yes, rated show no. For fun shows if we show them we give the ribbons back but usually I lend mine to kids and they love those ribbons!

We have a whole wall in our barn decorated with ribbons and we have them in the living room and Kyles room

Lennie gave away a ribbon and hand blown glass flower for every championship at his show last year. I have the flowers laying in front of the show picture. I really liked that! Something fun and different.

West2u thats a cute idea!

Yeah, we were at that show of Lennie's. He gave a piece of glass ware away in every class. He had LOTS of different things. We had gotten one of just about everything, but I wanted a flower so bad I couldn't stand it. My husband finally won a Stakes driving class and I just knew I was going to get my flower. Yeah, you guessed it they gave him something else. So finally on Sunday after he had listened to me whine all weekend he went out to center ring and asked them if they had any extra flowers that he would buy one from them for me. Of course, being the super people that they are they gave him a flower for me. They thought it was really sweet that he loved me enough to come ask for a flower. It was kind of fun to see what you were going to get for each class. I also won a super nice piece in the special payback Multi Color class. It is really pretty.

But put me down for the "Want Ribbons" side. I love my ribbons. I have my ribbons and trophies from Nationals all displayed in my room. We call it

"The Cruisin Shrine"!!!

default_wub.png
[SIZE=12pt] I am with all the ribbon people. They are just fun and as some have said, each one brings with it a memory.[/SIZE]

A few years back our club started a buy back program through one of our vendors at the show. They give the buyer .50 cents credit for each ribbon they return for merchandise at the show then the club buys them back from the vendor. It helps everyone because the buyer gets a discount, the vendor gets a sale and the club gets ribbons for the next show for much less than they would be from the ribbon company. Win, win deal for everyone. I have found that most folks do keep their Reserve and Championship Ribbons and sashes.Me included
default_wink.png

I also show Pinto. The first year I kept all my ribbons!!
default_smile.png
But with 6 judge shows you end up with a lot of ribbons!! Now I just keep the Grand and Reserves and I do love the big rosettes on them! I'm still looking for a different way to display them. I like the idea of a quilt. Anyone have a picture of one? I do like that we have a choice of getting a ribbon or filling out the slip and putting it in for a drawing....the drawings are for various things; Stall for the next years show, free month of training, saddles etc.....so they make it worth your while to trade in the ribbons! I like the glassware they give out for first places also. Of course nice Hi-point awards are great too!
default_smile.png
In Pinto we get lots of "stuff"!
default_smile.png

I'm a ribbon fan too
default_smile.png
, but I donate most of them back to the recycle box at the end of the show. It's nice to have them for the weekend to hang on your stalls & display, and I think it's important to have them - or something nice - for the kids and people new to showing. Our QH association here has done the plastic logo cups too for years....makes a nice class award and something you can keep and use.

We do not give out the ribbons as the class is called and this makes the classes go faster. At the end of the day you can go and trade your tickets in for ribbons or put your name on the ticket and put it in a drawing for whatever they are giving away that time. Sometimes it was for a free stall at the next show
Great idea too, but I think I'd still give ribbons to youth classes anyway. You don't have to physically hand out ribbons either if it's a time issue - they can be hung on a ribbon board at the out gate, and picked up by the exhibitor if they choose anytime.
default_smile.png

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
At a BIG show I want a BIG ribbon or neck sash like Charlotte said. When I'm showing at smaller or local shows, a rosette for Champion and Reserve is nice. After showing horses for years (both quarter horses and miniatures) we had bags and bags of ribbons in the basement that we eventually threw out. Even though we wrote on the back which show, date, class etc. we couldn't remember them.

Maybe clubs or show promoters could come up with something besides ribbons and that could help keep entry fees down as well. Candy bars or bottled water, cans of soda, we all need a little sugar rush after a long day of showing. Doesn't have to be food though could be brushes, halters, leads, sheets, buckets, etc.

I liked the idea of the recycle box at the show. I definitely would have turned some back in.

Kelly

Latest posts

Back