Show Awards

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNARanch

Reaction score
What is your opinion on receiving a ribbon at a show? Do you want a nice ribbon or do you not care?

For myself, I want a nice ribbon. Our clients seem to want a pretty ribbon also. Rosettes.

And for the big shows........I want a Honkin BIG ribbon!
default_laugh.png
You know, like those at AMHA & PtHA World......28" to 30" long. And neck sashes for champions and such. They make awesome pictures when on the horse and are so pretty hanging in the trophy case.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously those who show for points are not as concerned about ribbons they want the points. Me I prefer a ribbon I really do not like the stick ribbons but understand the expense of ribbons at a show. Our club has been able to award rosettes to 1st thru 3rd and stick ribbons 4-6th hopefully by 2011 we will be able to have rosettes for all placings

Absolutely ribbons, preferably rosettes.

I realize the expense involved in putting together a show but I have to confess that one of the things that makes our FUN show such a sucess is we give out trophies to first place and rosette ribbons beyond that to sixth. The trophies are small and often something that the place has in their "sale" room but they've always been a big deal to us and we intend to keep it that way as long as we can. I guess I need to admit that we nearly alwasy run just over the line into the red on our FUN show but that's our choice.

Thanks for the opinions, please keep them coming. I am helping work on a new mini/pony show and we have a difference of opinions. Some that have been showing awhile don't care about the ribbons and don't want to spend much but there are others that are just starting out and really like ribbons. I figured this was a good place to come to get a diverse opinion. I personally have been showing awhile and do like a ribbon or trophy to show for my efforts.

We still like the ribbons. Prefer a rosette. But one thing the ribbon has to have is the paper on the back that you can write the show info on.

I also wondered how exhibitors felt about this subject. I order all the ribbons for the Iowa Club show. Yes it is very expensive. We do rosettes for 1st and 2nd, the stock for the rest of the classes. We also give nice rosettes for the championship classes. We also have a recycle box for those that don't want their ribbons. It's amazing how many we get back. Pinto shows in Iowa don't give ribbons. dionne

I too like nice ribbons. I like my points as well, but even with POINTS I like to get nice ribbons!
default_laugh.png
Our shows here just give stick ribbons for the regular classes, small rosettes for the intermediate championships (Ch and Res) and neck ribbons for the Grand/Res. Grands.

I'd like to see the small rosettes for the regular classes, with the intermediate championship classes getting rosettes that are a little more fancy, and then big rosettes for the Grand/Res Grand--neck ribbons don't matter so much to me--when it comes to displaying them anywhere, the neck ribbons just adds a lot of excess ribbon. Trophies are nice, or plaques--I actually like plaques because they are easy to display (my trophy cabinet is full but I could find wall space to hang more plaques! ) but of course both are more expensive. Plus, with the engraving, if there are no entries in a particular division it might be difficult to re-use the plaque/trophy another year.

I've never been a fan of tack awards. I've been to shows where 1st place gets some cheap lead rope, or a halter that doesn't fit most horses...just not what I want to win!

We also have a recycle box for those that don't want their ribbons. It's amazing how many we get back.
I have done that since seeing someone do the same, probably 25 years ago...I think it is a great idea. I do keep the champion and reserve ribbons though. I do like winning nice prizes too, and some of the shows have given very nice things; it doesn't have to be tack.
default_smile.png

As for trophies, I donate them back, usually to 4-H, Mini Youth classes, or Pony-Club shows. It really helps these smaller shows, and it is all for the kids anyways, isn't it.
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png

Well I will be the odd one out. We show mostly Pinto, and I think we only picked up a handful of ribbons last year of the dozens we must have won. Just going for points, and we do pick up Grand and Reserve Champion ribbons in halter and Division High Points. Now, I do like ribbons and plan to eventually have a quilt made with them. I still have last year's (or maybe the year before's) ribbons hanging in the tack room too. It is so much easier to just leave those ribbons up than to take them down and put up new ones each year!! And none of them have dates on them.

New England Pinto shows give us the option of taking the ribbons or getting a ribbon credit that comes off your bill. We usually don't even bother with that and conisder it a donation to the Club.

I want a temporary ribbon or temp award for the backdrop photos only, then I could care less, I want the points and title more than anything. the ribbons look nice for the win pics to go onto the website, but then they just go into boxes to be donated. One year a colorado club gave out these little 4x6 printed certificates, they are still stapled up on my wall in the barn, they were probably the least expensive prize I have ever recieved, but I love them, just a copied certificate on colored construction paper. PERFECT!

One year (my first) our Pinto Club gave out blank wooden plaques, and for each class you got a small strip of metal with the placing on it. After the show, you attached the metal strips to the plaque and you had a nice award for the wall. You could buy extra plaques for $5 if you needed them. I'll bet it was a lot cheaper than ribbons.

I think you are going to find it will vary!

Personally, I don't care at all and usually donate all of my ribbons back to the club, even the Grand Champion ribbons. After a while, I've realized that I don't have anything to DO with the ribbons, nowhere to put them, and don't display them. Therefore I'd rather just donate back to the club because I do know how expensive they are.

However, a good percentage of people are very much into the ribbons... they feel that they are paying for a ribbon, nothing else, with their entry fees and don't always understand that the class fee goes towards the judges, steward, facility, advertising, printing premiums, etc.

Try to get the best ribbons you can afford, but don't break the bank.

Good luck with your show(s)!

Andrea

. Some that have been showing awhile don't care about the ribbons and don't want to spend much but there are others that are just starting out and really like ribbons.

this is the key those that have been showing a while and yes it is true you can only keep so many ribbons and we often donate back at the end of the show but it is still nice to display your winnings on your farm sign during the show and the kids no matter how many they get seem to still want them
default_smile.png

It does help if you can make a nice box with a HUGE SIGN that says recycled ribbons right by the out gate most of the time you will get a large portion back and the huge ribbon expense is usually just a one time thing and yearly you just need to replace the few that were kept

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta have Rosettes! 1-6th and BIG Rosettes and/or trophies for Championships!

I love the way Charlotte said it!
default_laugh.png

I am starting my 4th year of showing. My walls are full of ribbons. The Pinto shows I have been going to have anywhere from 3 judges to 8. That is a lot of ribbons for one show. I am usually in 7-8 classes per show.

The Pinto shows around here have a person that keeps track of placings with different colored tickets placed in an envelope with your number on it. We do not give out the ribbons as the class is called and this makes the classes go faster. At the end of the day you can go and trade your tickets in for ribbons or put your name on the ticket and put it in a drawing for whatever they are giving away that time. Sometimes it was for a free stall at the next show. One Pinto show did this, but also gave away etched glassware for 1st place. We came away from that show with lots of different glasses. They have the pretty Pinto ensignia with the 4 horse heads etched into them.

I go to one series of shows that gives away the most beautiful ribbons for 1-6 and purple and lavendar neck sash ribbons for all high point and reserve high point catagories and halter champions. I have a bunch of those from last year, but really don't know how to display them. I am actually using them for tie-backs for my curtains. I know, a little tacky. The people that put on theses shows have a ribbon making business, so they can be extravegant.

I have decided, this year, no more ribbons, except maybe the Champion ribbons. I will either donate them back to the cause, or recycle to 4-H. I like the idea of taking a picture of all the ribbons hanging up during the show, then donate them back. Someday I would like the ones I have to be made into quilt wall hanging.

I am with the gotta have the ribbons people! I take all. Not just the top ones. And it shows me how we actually have done. I LOVE that we have the option to take a token or ribbon at our shows. The token is then redeemed at the show for .50 cents each. If you want, it helps pay for the show, or have the ribbons to make pillows like I have been doing!

I love to get ribbons, I work really hard to earn them and it is just something extra that I can keep forever to remember, my wall is covered with my ribbons and trophies from over the years. I like to get the typical rosette for first and second place in the normal classes but the rest of the placings I like the standard smaller ribbons. Champ and res. champ get larger rosettes and the grands and stakes classes with the neck sashes. Just how I see it a lot of the time and it just kind of makes it that much more special to go farther to me and of course you get one heck of an awesome picture!

Latest posts

Back