Show Attire Pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ride dressage and decided to try driving with my mini. So I understand the whole conservative issue. This is my first year driving and I have chosen a black jacket with some contrasting black satin strips (very small stripes) that has satin trim at the lapels and sleeves with a gold/tan tank top underneath. Along with black pants, boots, hat and gloves. My apron is black with a gold trim. My cart is an easy entry with a wood floor. My mini is a golden palomino and of course my harness is black.

I don't have any pictures yet, but after tomorrow I may have some if it ever quits raining so we can go to the show. I don't see any reason to show in the rain. Its just not that much fun to be wet. Not to mention Midas, the mini, hates to be wet. Bath time is so much fun at my house.

Not sure where you are in PA but I'm wondering if the rules you posted are not from WPRD club. Let me know, maybe I will see you there.

I ride dressage and decided to try driving with my mini. So I understand the whole conservative issue. This is my first year driving and I have chosen a black jacket with some contrasting black satin strips (very small stripes) that has satin trim at the lapels and sleeves with a gold/tan tank top underneath. Along with black pants, boots, hat and gloves. My apron is black with a gold trim. My cart is an easy entry with a wood floor. My mini is a golden palomino and of course my harness is black.
That sounds very nice with the palomino.

Myrna

Myrna ~ Where did you get your pattern for your apron?
No pattern. (I rarely have the luxury of a pattern.) I took measurements when seated. Ours are "bell" shaped. I have made "straight" aprons, but they don't seem to go all the way around you (will "pull out" at your thigh). I basically took a "guess" at the shape of the bell and made a pattern with an old sheet (my "rainbow" ones I had in Jr. High, remember those?
laugh.gif
). I can get you a "sheet pattern" if you would like.

Myrna

The first 2 are outfits I wore in a ADS pleasure show...

abbyfairshow109.jpg
[/img]

th_abbyfairshow108.jpg

This was a open show...

th_oakbrook001.jpg

This was a HDT......

th_cypresskeephdt09002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No pattern. (I rarely have the luxury of a pattern.) I took measurements when seated. Ours are "bell" shaped. I have made "straight" aprons, but they don't seem to go all the way around you (will "pull out" at your thigh). I basically took a "guess" at the shape of the bell and made a pattern with an old sheet (my "rainbow" ones I had in Jr. High, remember those?
laugh.gif
). I can get you a "sheet pattern" if you would like.

Myrna
Old sheets are SO handy aren't they?

I don't need to make one now, I just wondered. That is good to know that they are fairly simple to do.

I love the hats. I am new to miniature horse driving as well. I was wondering if you could wear a hat with a net veil. I have one, and thought I might wear to show in. Not sure if that would be to much or not. What do you think?

I love the hats. I am new to miniature horse driving as well. I was wondering if you could wear a hat with a net veil. I have one, and thought I might wear to show in. Not sure if that would be to much or not. What do you think?
Hats with veils are too formal for most miniature horse turnouts. They would be worn with a formal coach and a four-in-hand.

Myrna

this was my outfit for AMHR Country Pleasure with my over gelding STS Secreat Success, aka Hoss. I think the blue went well with his silver bay coat.

IMAG011.JPG

This is my show outfit. I have been showing in 4-H shows so I have to wear a helmet. My shirt and jacket came from the Thrift Store, a pair of black pants and the apron I made. Very inexpensive. I refuse to wear western clothes to a driving show. Hope this helps. This was my first year showing also and I plan to do some ADS shows this coming show season.

031.jpg

024.jpg

100_3218.jpg

Very nice! Is that a blue stripe in your coat that goes with the shirt and apron? Great coordination! Nicely conservative! The helmet goes perfectly with the style of the outfit, so there is no reason to "justify" it. If you are under 18, you will have to wear your helmet for ADS shows, too.

A couple of hints to better your turnout for ADS shows: You can braid a driving horse's mane, but never his tail. That should save you a bit of work, too. And I would get some brown leather gloves (unless they already are and I can't tell from the photos). Make sure you pull your coat down from under the apron (I have wonderful photos of me this year and my coat is bunched up worse...
default_rolleyes.gif
). Also consider holding your reins like "English" reins. You will find that it will be easier to cue your horse that way.

You will also want to raise your breeching and lower your breastcollar. And move your saddle back just a bit.

Your posture is wonderful! Great job!

Myrna

I also like your outfit and feel it suits the helmet. The most glaring thing I see is that your cuffs stick out from under your coat sleeves. This draws attention to your hands which, unless you have perfect hands, you don't want! I would get a lighter brown pair of gloves if these ones are brown. You look very smart though!

Thank you. There is a blue pin stripe in the jacket, hard to see in the pictures. Thank you for all the tips.

If I was to get a hat, what color and style would you suggest?

I was thinking a brown hat with blue flowers/ feathers.

Or even a light blue. hhhmmm.

If I was to get a hat, what color and style would you suggest?

I was thinking a brown hat with blue flowers/ feathers.

Or even a light blue. hhhmmm.
Hats are THE hardest part to get right in the whole turnout. It can make or break your whole outfit! The most basic "rules" are that the brim shouldn't be wider than your shoulders, and the height should complement the face. That being said, if you drive a little horse, a larger hat may look out of place. It is also VERY dependent on the style of your vehicle. What are you going to drive at the ADS shows?

The colors you suggest sound fine with your turnout, so it really comes down to the shape in relation to your face.

Now, all that being said....your helmet is PERFECTLY fine for your turnout, AND it might save you a WHOLE lot of headaches in trying to find the right hat (see my comments above). And if you are under 18 (you said you have shown at 4-H shows), you have to wear a helmet anyway according to ADS rules. The biggest "rule" in wearing a helmet is that it should "go" with your turnout. Don't show up with a white helmet uncovered. A black velvet(een) is classic and tasteful, especially if you already have a black harness. (BTW, black harness means your footwear should be black as well, russet harness = brown footwear.)

There are people that "decorate" their helmets with specialized covers they make. Here is an example:

http://www.mischkapi...44_vFEtT/Medium

Here is another:

http://www.photorefl...18&po=18&pc=142

And another:

http://www.photorefl...8&po=118&pc=142

Myrna

It is good that I always have my helmet to fall back on but I would like to find a nice hat.

I am over 18 and go to open 4-H shows. In NJ everyone has to wear a helmet at any 4-H show.

I am currently looking to upgrade my metal cart for a wooden meadowbrook type cart, natural wood, not painted. I do use a black harness, my mini is black. And I wear my black paddock boots.

I am over 18 and go to open 4-H shows. In NJ everyone has to wear a helmet at any 4-H show.
That is the way it is in Wisconsin, too.

I am currently looking to upgrade my metal cart for a wooden meadowbrook type cart, natural wood, not painted. I do use a black harness, my mini is black. And I wear my black paddock boots.
Sounds perfect. Meadowbrooks were traditionally not painted. Your hat would be a more "informal" hat, not a Coaching hat. I'll look for some examples.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back