Should we sell our studs and start over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melissa, we aren't allowed to post photos of other people's horses without their permission. Just a heads up for next time.

IF I SHOULD SELL THE TWO STUDS I HAVE AND BUY TWO NEW STUDS.
....... Hope I am not coming off as rude asking this but, " WHY do you need two studs? "? Suggesting Quality not Quanity. You can always add another one after you educate yourself. I suggest getting one quality proven stallion that has foals on the ground so that you can see what he has already sired........................................... Actually in your situation I strongly suggest buying a quality mare that is already in foal with a LFG to a quality stallion if it is a foal that you want....... It is a buyers market now & there are SO many nice mares for sale because of people reducing their herds etc...... The problem arises when a newbie meets the less than honest seller so that is why you need to do your homework. And sometimes people think they do have nice quality horses because that is what the seller told them thus the endless cycle.... You cannot learn what you need to in a few weeks. Sometimes it takes months even years to find out what one needs to know. Lee & I have been breeding since 86 & we are still learning.................................................... Have you thought about leasing a stallion? Some horse owners do but some owners won't because they don't trust another person to take care of their horse like they do( me being one of those owners who won't )............... If you are getting into breeding to sell that is a whole nother book................................................. Is there a reputable breeder near you that can help educate you in exchange for some help around the farm? Lee & I have helped several newbies throughout the years (usually after they made a bad buy). Storm moving in - gotta go.

Last edited by a moderator:
HELLO,

THANKS FOR YOU INFORMATION ABOUT OUR STUDS. WE ARE THINKING WE MIGHT REDO SOME OF OUR HERD. WE HAVE TWO MARES THAT MIGHT BE BREED ALREADY TO THE SORREL AND WHITE FOR 2007.

I REMOVE THE SIRES OF THE STUDS, BECAUSE I DON'T OWN THEM.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE GOOD BLOODLINE AND GOOD SHOWING STUDS OR MARE THAT ARE PINTO FOR SALE, IF SO EMAIL ME YOUR SITE AND PRICES, PEDIGREE AND SHOWING RECORD.

ALSO ANYONE WHO HAS BUY FOR A GOOD BREEDING MINI FARM REFER WOULD BE NICE, IF IT IS CLOSE TO MISSISSIPPI.

THANKS TAKE CARE,

MELISSA

Hello,

here is another picture of the sorrel and white pinto stud.

dscn8665.jpg

thanks melissa

Hi,

Just want to say don't get in a HUGE hurry to find that perfect stallion. He may live near you in the form of a stallion owned by someone else. You may be able to purchase a mare in foal to him, or purchase one of his get to have for your own. When you are looking for a breeding horse, and you are buying young, view his sire, his dam, his full siblings if possible. This will help you to better "see" what you "may" get when you breed your potential stallion. Get your sales contract in writing as in fertility guarantees/height and bite guarantees as well as a guarantee of breeding suitability (i.e. he does not show up with a stifle problem that was "known" to be in the lines, etc.). A good and reputable breeder will work with you on this and help you to find the herd sire of your dreams, though I would say you need to look for a few nice mares first and foremost and then shop around for stallion services or a stallion which suits your mares.

Not only show quality to consider but overall correctness and proportion as well as attitude. Spend some time around your new "stallion" and be sure he is intelligent and good-minded (he is willing to learn and be respectful, and not nasty-tempered (not talking about hormonal, talking about just plain BAD) before you commit to having foals from him.

There are some wonderful stallions out there and perhaps you could even lease one for a year or so if you would like to change it up some. Owning a stallion is a lot of work, and more than one makes the work triply hard.

Do spend time researching pedigrees and types, also the show winners you will begin to see a common look to them, more often than not they are the best conformed (correct) as well as most proportionately correct. Then they also have a nice, fluid motion to them and a spirited look as well as that.

Good luck....

(kudos to you for keeping your mind open and learning)

Liz M.

You are going to get a ton of offers on horses for sale. Realize that there are a lot of horses out there and sales/money are in short supply.

So my advice to you is to take it very very slow and really consider what you want to go with. All of us in the business have at one time or another had to re-evaluate where we are headed and also what it is that we want from our horses.

We have over 110 mini's here at the farm and each one of them are here for the same reason and that is to be competitive in the halter show ring which we dearly love. But along the way for the last nearly two decades we have had to constantly evaluate our herd and make the adjustments required to try and stay as close to the game as we can. There is no more satisfying feeling in the horse world than to breed a selected mare and stallion, produce a foal and then have that foal succeed in the show ring.

When it comes to choosing a herd stallion, we currently have 5 that we use on a regular basis, each is proven to produce different things that are desirable. Nicer heads, straight legs, longer necks, more action etc. etc. But with that said realize there is no perfect horse so it is a constant battle to try and mould your horses into what it is that you want.

I know it may sound like n exercize in futility, but that is what really makes it fun. Some crosses of bloodlines work and some don't. I have seen some of the best looking/royally bred mares and stallions bred together and produce nothing worth the effort. Then that stallion or mare is bred to another bloodline and bingo you hit the jackpot. You talk about fun, there is no greater high than what these little guys give us.

Again my advice is to take it slow and make sure you are right before you spend any of your hard earned money. That is unless you have an un-ending supply of money and time LOL.

Let Cindy and I know if we can be of help with advice or anything else in the future.

:saludando:

HELLO,

THE GREY STUD FIRST FOAL. IT WAS A 2006 FILLY.SHE WAS BORN BAY, BUT IS GREYING OUT.

dscn8621.jpg

dscn8811.jpg

before clipping

dscn8564.jpg

DSCN8332.jpg

thanks melissa

Melissa,

First off I have to give you a :aktion033: . Your being willing to ask for advice and take it will always help you reach thier goals.
default_yes.gif
: You are an inspiration!!

I think your little guys are cute, and not the worse stallions I have seen. But they are pet quality. I believe that your stallion should just take your breath away.. he should be that 1 horse you can't live with out. Your dream horse.. one you want to see over and over again..

If you want to bred show qauilty horses you have to start with show quailty,, and IMHO they are not..

I would sell the 2 you have ,and sorry but also the little fillies you have on the other post and buy 1 or 2 really nice horses. With so many super nice horses for sale at reasonable prices, it is a very good time to do some up grading on your hear.

That is why I rethinking my boys and a few of my mares..

I too am taking a hard look at my horses... tring to decide if the stallions I have are going to get me where I want to go.

I'm not going to critique, and I'm not a mini person. That said
default_rolleyes.gif
: I keep going back to your pinto stallion. He is so eye catching. I think if he were mine, and he had up to now been a nice, mannerly stallion, I'd geld him, put lots of time into really getting him conditioned and trained and sell (or keep) him as a driving or lead line pet. I think, if he had the right disposition, kids would just flock to him. He sort of looks like a little Hildago. I didn't notice if you posted his size, but I think he'd be just cute as a button all tacked up with a wee cowboy to pack around. I don't what it is... he just looks like a neat little dude. I think he'd make a really nice gelding, and still have an adventurous enjoyable life.
default_yes.gif
:

My suggestion would be to find a KNOWLEDGEABLE and HONEST mentor in your state, preferrably near you and learn all you can and go to different farms and see what is available. Keep your money in your pocket, all of it for now
default_wink.png
: and figure out what direction you want to go in. Then really look around at the different bloodlines, see what you like, what would work for you to achieve YOUR goals and a wonderful MENTOR will be a great help.

I think it is wonderful that you are asking all the Q's, but before you sell everyone make sure they don't suit what YOU are looking for and if not what really does.

I know I have jumped in with both feet before and made mistakes and it is so much better to start off right! It certainly seems from your posts that you are trying to do this!

Good Luck and remember your goals may not be everyone elses.

BUT if you figure out what your breeding goals are before you start it is much easier!

I won't do a critique but would say if you are hoping to breed for "SHOW QUALITY" minis I think many of the pics shown are not SHOW QUALITY horses..........JMHO

Good Luck in yoru search!

I commend you for coming on here with pictures of your horses and asking for honest advise. That is a very brave thing to do.

Very few people seriously start a breeding program what I consider the "right" way. By researching conformation, bloodlines, what is your goal, and what type of horse you want to produce. Most people, myself included, buy horses and get attached, learn you need better horses to be competitive and then have an emotional attachment to your first horses. This is a natural learning curve, but you are showing the willingness to learn and do things better. After looking at your stallions and the mares on your other thread I would suggest taking the time to educate yourself and setting some goals for your breeding program.

With winter coming and things slow down a bit, spend the time to look at every website you can and really look at the horses. Educate your eye to conformation and when you start learning to tell the difference in what you like and don't like, then you will find you will have a better understanding to the type of horse that appeals to you. Look through the World magazine and go to the breeders that are winning consistently and look at those horses and the foals they are producing. That starts to give you a measuring tool to hold horses you are considering buying up against. Also realize that show horses are fitted, clipped, looking their best and don't look like that in the pasture. Until you have a very educated eye, don't even consider buying a horse in winter woolies.

Take the time to visit other ranches. This has been my biggest learning tool. There are many honest people out there that will give you good advice and information. I always take the time to give advice to those starting out when they call or come out to look at my horses. They may not buy anything from me but I may know someone that has what they are looking for. I also look at the ranches and how they are set up and take away ideas on how to improve what I have. Search out those people whose opinion you trust and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Your broodmare band is your most important investment. It is easier to replace a stallion than your whole herd of mares. Make sure they are they best you can put together. It is easy to fall in love with a beautiful stallion but if he has pet quality mares to breed to then you will not be happy with the resulting foals.

Buy the best quality horse you can which doesn't mean the most expensive. We hear over and over that someone has paid big bucks for less than show quality and then are unhappy. Avoid that pitfall by educating yourself before you shell out any money.

I hope I have given you some advice you can use and good luck.

I had a friend tell me once when I first started into breeding halter type paint horses. Find the perfect stallion that is in the top of the game that you like, Mine at the time was Blue Max, Look for that in the horse you want to buy. If your favorite show stud is Sids Rebel (for example) then you go out and look for that build, head, neck, hoof, ears, and what ever else you can think of in your next stud.

Look at the top studs or mares in the show ring and when you go to look at a stud prospect remember those horses. May sound stupid but it sure helped me learn what to look for. See beyond the color too.

I'm not going to critique, and I'm not a mini person. That said
default_rolleyes.gif
: I keep going back to your pinto stallion. He is so eye catching. I think if he were mine, and he had up to now been a nice, mannerly stallion, I'd geld him, put lots of time into really getting him conditioned and trained and sell (or keep) him as a driving or lead line pet. I think, if he had the right disposition, kids would just flock to him. He sort of looks like a little Hildago. I didn't notice if you posted his size, but I think he'd be just cute as a button all tacked up with a wee cowboy to pack around. I don't what it is... he just looks like a neat little dude. I think he'd make a really nice gelding, and still have an adventurous enjoyable life.
default_yes.gif
:
LOL, I thought of the same thing when I saw him. Not that I don't think the gray needs gelded too, because I do, but the red pinto made me say, oh, he'd make a cute gelding!

Hello,

I forgot to tell you all the sorrel and white pinto has been shown in jumping and halter.

I don't know how we he did,but the previous owner said he did fine.

thanks MELISSA

hello,

we decide to sell both of these studs and start over.Both studs went to a nice lady in LA who does parties, hospital visits, shows for 4-h.

we now have a buckeroo buckskin Name Little Kings Hallmark Buckshot, sire is Little Kings Buckwheat

buckshotDSC_2706.jpg

buckshotDSC_2721_small.jpg

buckshotDSC_2711.jpg

We hope we made a better choice this time.

thanks melissa

I would say I like this horse much better than either of the other two. I would agree that the first two should be gelded. Sounds like they are going to a good home where they will be used for lots of fun things. Always remember, color is one of the last things you should look at- conformation is first and foremost and you must look past the color at what you have.

I like this stallion you have better than the other 2. I would also agree that they should be gelded. As for colorings just remember if you have a grey bred to a black or bay or anyother color for that fact the foal will turn grey! Grey is just a dominant gene. My yearling arab filly is out of a grey mare and black stud. She's greying out now she should be completely grey by the time she's 3! Just remember it's all a genetics game when you're breeding for color.

THE LADY WHO GOT THE TWO STUDS IS THINKING OF GELDING THEM, SO THE CHILDREN CAN USE THEM FOR 4-H. THE TWO STUDS WERE VERY SWEET AND LOVED CHILDREN. WE FEEL THEY WENT TO A GREAT HOME.

THANKS MELISSA

As for colorings just remember if you have a grey bred to a black or bay or anyother color for that fact the foal will turn grey! Grey is just a dominant gene. My yearling arab filly is out of a grey mare and black stud. She's greying out now she should be completely grey by the time she's 3! Just remember it's all a genetics game when you're breeding for color.

This isnt correct, the foal has a 50% chance of turning grey. I bred my grey percheron mare 2 times, once to a black and once to a black and white, first foal was black and stayed black, second foal is black and white and stayed black and white.

This isnt correct, the foal has a 50% chance of turning grey. I bred my grey percheron mare 2 times, once to a black and once to a black and white, first foal was black and stayed black, second foal is black and white and stayed black and white.
I was told by my vet that anytime you breed to a grey that grey is a dominant gene and that there is a 95 - 99% chance that you will have grey or greying. I guess she was wrong about that then.

Thanks for the info.

Back