Should we sell our studs and start over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sire to the grey stud has had some foals grey and others not grey. The sire has had about 50% and the 50% other colors. The stud we just sold had a nice bay filly for 2006, but I think she will grey out.

Grey stud filly at birth

DSCN8067.jpg

DSCN8074.jpg

before she was shaved

dscn8560.jpg

after she was shaved

dscn8648.jpg

picture as oct 2006

dscn8905.jpg

picture as of nov 2006

dscn9028.jpg

This filly sister is a grey who was born sorrel, but greyed out.

MELISSA

Yes it sure looks like your young filly is a gray. First having the gray rings around her eyes at birth is pretty much a sure sign and in the later pix it looks like she is RAPIDLY graying. I like your new stud much better too, congrats on getting him!!! And JMHO but if you like certain colors and want to breed in hopes of getting those colors then I would not use a graying gray horse in my program( this doesnt mean the Silver dapples, they are a whole different thing ). Why take a 50/50 chance of getting what u dont want right from the start, its hard enough to get the color, type, sex u want without starting off with extra chances of failing. Now some people love grays and breed for them but I like flashy colors too and dont have graying horses in my herd. That said of COURSE the horses conformation, disposition, bloodlines etc are most important than color but u might as well own what u like!!!!

Grey to non grey = 50% chance of having a grey foal.

That is the percentages- I am USELESS at percentages but that is what they are in this case!!

The Vet who said differently is wrong.

Grey is not a "dominant" gene.

Grey to non grey = 50% chance of having a grey foal.

That is the percentages- I am USELESS at percentages but that is what they are in this case!!

The Vet who said differently is wrong.

Grey is not a "dominant" gene.

I will be finding the information on genetics and greys. When I find the info I will be giving it to the vet that told me about grey being dominant.
default_sad.png

Your Vet was correct - gray/grey (Gg) is a dominant -gene- this means if your horse has 1 gray gene then your horse will be gray and produce grays 50 % of the time as half the time your gray horse will pass that dominant gray gene to his offspring.

That is what your Vet means when he/she says gray is a dominant gene- if the horse has the gray gene then the horse will be gray. The gray horse must have at least 1 gray parent.

It is possible for gray horses to also be homozygous for gray (both parents would have to be gray) meaning the horse has 2 gray genes(GG)- one gray gene from each parent. A homozygous gray will produce 100% gray offspring regardless of who it is bred to. The only way to tell if a gray horse is homozygous for gray is by progengy and, of course, knowing the horse had 2 gray parents. Still, having 2 heterzygous gray parents do not necessarily mean all their offspring will be gray! 75% of their offspring will be gray. Confused, yet? :lol:

I do agree though if you are interested in pintos to sell the gray- you will only be disappointed when your beautiful pinto foals go gray half the time (question - were both his parents gray?)- I cannot comment on your pinto as he is not set up to show him to his best advantage conformationally wise so the picture could be misleading- I love his markings and color! I also would not bother with 2 stallions at this time - plenty of time for that later if you were planning on crossing. Really research, take your time and look.look.look - write down your plans on what you want to accomplish - attend the rated shows to see what wins to help you develop your eye for conformation- it'd be great if you could find a mentor

Whatever you decide - I wish you only the best ! Sorry, edited for spelling!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK! So I wasn't completely nuts in hearing that grey is a dominant gene!!! Thank you for the info. I feel better knowing that my vet wasn't lying to me and that there is some truth to the grey being the dominant gene!! :aktion033:

Your Vet was correct - gray/grey (Gg) is a dominant -gene- this means if your horse has 1 gray gene then your horse will be gray and produce grays 50 % of the time as half the time your gray horse will pass that dominant gray gene to his offspring.

That is what your Vet means when he/she says gray is a dominant gene- if the horse has the gray gene then the horse will be gray. The gray horse must have at least 1 gray parent.

It is possible for gray horses to also be homozygous for gray (both parents would have to be gray) meaning the horse has 2 gray genes(GG)- one gray gene from each parent. A homozygous gray will produce 100% gray offspring regardless of who it is bred to. The only way to tell if a gray horse is homozygous for gray is by progengy and, of course, knowing the horse had 2 gray parents. Still, having 2 heterzygous gray parents do not necessarily mean all their offspring will be gray! 75% of their offspring will be gray. Confused, yet? :lol:

I do agree though if you are interested in pintos to sell the gray- you will only be disappointed when your beautiful pinto foals go gray half the time (question - were both his parents gray?)- I cannot comment on your pinto as he is not set up to show him to his best advantage conformationally wise so the picture could be misleading- I love his markings and color! I also would not bother with 2 stallions at this time - plenty of time for that later if you were planning on crossing. Really research, take your time and look.look.look - write down your plans on what you want to accomplish - attend the rated shows to see what wins to help you develop your eye for conformation- it'd be great if you could find a mentor

Whatever you decide - I wish you only the best ! Sorry, edited for spelling!

The use of the word "dominant" was being used incorrectly.

Grey is not "dominant" in that as with any colour/dilute/modification you have exactly the same chance of it passing on as any other colour.

It is a Simple Dominant in that there has to be one Grey parent in order to get a Grey.

Chestnut is recessive- two Blacks can produce a Chestnut as Chestnut is recessive to Black.

Grey is not recessive in that it cannot "hide" as Chestnut can.

Thus your Vet was misunderstanding the term "dominant" and misusing it also.

Grey is not dominant over all other modifiers- if a horse is H/Z Grey you will always get a Grey and if not you have a 50% chance of Grey.

Go here

http://www.equinecolor.com/contact.html

To find out all the percentages etc- as I said I am dyslexic when it comes to %!!!

I'm sorry if I have used the word "dominant" incorrectly. I realize that there has to be one grey parent in order to get a grey. Prime example is my arab yearling. Her sire is black, his sire and dam were chestnut, their sires and dams were bay or chestnut. There isn't grey on her sire's side until 4 generations back. My yearling's dam is grey. Her parents were bay and chestnut. Their parents were bay and there was 1 grey.

I was not suggesting that Grey can "hide". But here is what the site you gave says about Greys "No color is safe when Grey is present, as all horses that carry the Greying gene will end up a shade of grey or white."... The site also goes on to state this, "Many think that Grey is the most dominant color or it is the strongest dominant gene. This is incorrect, Grey is not more dominant than any other dominant color or pattern gene - all dominant genes are equally dominant. Grey seems to be a "very strong" gene, only because it removes all physical affects of other color factors. This does not however mean that it removes the genes that causes colors and patterns. It also doesn't mean that a horse is going to be more likely to pass along the Grey gene than the dominant gene for Bay, Silver or Cream, ect."

They are verifying that grey is A dominant gene, which I stated in my first post. Now, I know that the greying process DOES NOT always take place and that it does depend on the parents and what genes they carry. I guess I should've asked if the grey stallion's parents were grey and if there was any grey on the filly's dam's side. Next time I will either refrain from comment or ask more questions of the horse in question.

Latest posts

Back