Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn't find any evidence of it. We're on an acre now and the area the Minis are in is very small, so I'm sure we would have noticed... Also, there isn't any fluids on her rear...

Time will tell... Today we went out to look at her and now we're just not sure... We'll just have to keep a close eye on her.

Living in AZ has been heck and the Minis are just not reacting like they did in Missouri or Oklahoma...

Kari

It must be very different living on all sand and desert instead of grass. Just never seen where a mare had such a big bag and then it went down so much but I only have very limited experience. Hope all is well with her.

This mare is our little hussy. She will tease and let a stallion cover her while pregnant. Found that out last year. Bred her in May 2012 before we moved to AZ. She acted like she was back in heat in July 2012. Bred her to another stallion. When she showed signs of bagging up the first of April 2013, we were confused. Everyone on here said she was close. She ended up having a filly on April 29th, 25 days later. Sadly, the foal didn't make it out of the sac and we lost her. She was full term, so Annie was pregnant when she allowed the other stallion to cover her. She has teased to our stallions this year on and off, especially my APHA stallion. She LOVES him!!! She would even allow them to cover her, if we allowed it.

We will just wait and see. She is the only possible foal this year. The rest either came up open, aborted (two), or we sold.

Toni

I don't see a huge difference from her udder on Mar 19 to mar 28, to me it looks a little bigger on mar 28. I don't see any big drop in size really. Can someone point out the difference to me?

The concern for the size of her bag is because she is not due for another 3 months... If she's bagging up early, it may be because the first stallion we bred her to wasn't sterile like we thought. When we thought she wasn't settled, we bred her to another stallion a couple of months later when she came into heat...

Kari (and Toni)

I would just watch her. She doesn't seem quite 'big' or dropped enough to be at the 320 range, but she certainly seems bigger than the 257 range. So, I think I'd just wait and watch a bit.

Okay, we have decided Annie is not due until late June, early July. If you look past her winter coat, she is not as big as she looks. There have been no changes to her milk bar.

We are feeding her in a pen by herself at night and turning her out with the other horses during the day.

Will keep an eye on her, but not expecting anything until summer. Hopefully, not right when we are ready to move.

Here's pictures from yesterday. She was 263 days.

SANY0316.JPG

SANY0317.JPG

SANY0315.JPG

Sounds like a good plan. She's very pretty -- that white is soooooo white !

OKAY, I've decided Annie is NOT pregnant. She has come into heat and this heat is lasting the normal length. When I look at her from behind, I don't see any uneven bulging. she looks like our open mare (know she is open because she aborted at 5 months). Annie would be due end of June, first of July. Her winter coat hides her true size in pictures.

On the other hand, Nikki (28" maiden mare) looks pregnant. She has a very big "hay" belly, but she is not overweight. All her size is in her belly and she looks uneven at times. She even looks bigger than she did a couple weeks ago.

Annie (smoky black pinto) would be between 246 and 271 days, depending on whether she took on July 13, 2013 or 8/7/2013 (Kari's BD!).

Nikki (bay) would be about 242 days. She was bred 8/9 through 8/11, 2013.

Here are pics of them: side view, back view, from above (Nikki only-pic of Annie was off center-can't see one side) and udder.

Kari and Toni

SANY0348.JPG

SANY0346.JPG

SANY0342.JPG

SANY0351.JPG

SANY0341.JPG

SANY0340.JPG

SANY0343.JPG

Back