shipper came

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
Well we were sending a mare to Texas and the shipper was supposed to be here yesterday morning. They emailed said, truck troubles and it would be late afternoon, early evening, they emailed said, not until after Midnight!
default_wacko.png

Mel said in all the years he has shipped mares all over the country he has NEVER had a shipper come in that late...So last nite we started our wait.

Mel got a call that his sister in SLC wasn't doing any better with her health(blood clots in lungs,kidney failure,bleeding,heart issues)
default_no.gif
We were going to go down to pickup our truck in SLC(hit a deer
default_wacko.png
)after the shipper left yesterday morning and to see Vera, but that didn't work out!

Then last nite the water shut off!!! :arg! We are having a guy come over in about 2-3 hours here to see if it can be fixed in the house-if not, then we have to hire someone to come out and move snow out in the pasture to get to the well, pull the pump and hopefully not have to pay for a new pump!
default_torch.gif
(they always do this in the most inconvient time, WHY???)

...so add up all the stress Mel was in from all this, then the shipper(HauledRight)shows up at way after Midnight, it's really cold out, 10 or below. I told Mel to stay inside so he wouldn't blow at the shipper. I went out and this usually docile mare, easy to catch was not going to have anything to do with a dark and cold, late nite catch! (I should have caught her up earlier and put her in a stall-UGH!
default_oops.gif
) After going around and around I went a got some grain-Mel came out-GRRR!
default_gaah.gif
and I put the halter and lead on her, Mel took her, I closed and locked the gate, grabbed the paperwork so I could follow him....but dash it all, we hadn't been plowing the way into the barn area, the gate was frozen and he had a heck time opening it-GRRR!
default_gaah.gif
Something else I should have thought of-GRRR!
default_gaah.gif
wellllllll by the time we got to the truck out front, Mel was really, really cold(He just slapped a regular coat on!)and he was experiencing Big Time chest pains(he didn't take his nitro!)and I told him to go on into the house and I could settle paperwork with the driver. We did that and that shipper left here at 1:18am !!!! I came in and Mel was relaxing in his chair still having chest pains! ARGHHHH!!!
default_gaah.gif

Now I should have said NO to HauledRight about coming so late, but she said, 8pm to Midnight so I guess I was hoping it would be more like 8-9 pm. But still I should of said NO..Right? They don't rest at night, they drive round the clock so that would make it harder. I should have put the mare in a stall earlier..Right? I should have plowed the snow in the alley way..Right? My gosh

I feel SOOO bad!
default_no.gif
I just want to CRY!!!!!!!
default_crybaby.gif

Would YOU have said NO to HauledRight coming so late? Have YOU had shippers come in this late?

Thanks for listening,

Jenny

You poor thing. Yes, maybe it would have been a good idea to have done the things you said but, you know what? You didn't, it happened, now just let it go.

Deep breath, let it go.

You cannot go back and change one thing, you can only look to the future and, if it is reasonable, you can think of ways you would change that.

I stayed up all night waiting for a transporter that did as yours did (drove through the night with three drivers) only to find they were going to camp out next to the field and sleep!

I should have said "I'll be ready at five" I should have asked, but I didn't, so I am no better.

Deep breathes!!
default_smile.png

Well sounds like you had your hands full. Yes, I have had haulers come late at night and being winter-weather can be a factor and truck breakdowns happen and it's not fun for anyone. At least they called and gave you a rough time as to when they would be there. Sounds like it was just added stress to what is going on in your lives right now so saying that I will say prayers for your family in some trying times right now and hope things get better.

Jenny,

Can't say about the late pick up but I do hope Mel is doing okay. That's scary.

Ma---

The shipper I use often she usually comes at night, sometimes midnight, sometimes before, sometimes even 4a.m but I tell her to phone when she gets to the exit off the main highway which is about 30 minutes away from my place and I just sleep on the couch downstairs with the phone nearby. I wake up easily. I don't mind her shipping this late as long as she phones when she gets to the exit so I have about 30 minutes to wake up and be ready for her.
default_wink.png

I have had a positive experience with Hauled Wright. But a very bad experience with another shipper!!!! This other shipper had truck problems and other problems and ended up not even picking up my horse at all - just kept on driving throught the state - unbelievable. I would never recommend this other transport company!!!!

I think that most of the transport companies will have good trips and bad trips. Trucks can breakdown and other unforeseen problems can show up. I know many will show up at anytime which is not very pleasant for the farm owner - nobody wants to get up in the middle of the night to have to go down to the barn and get a horse out of a stall and load the horse into a trailer. But it does happen - and if other horses are on the trailer - sometimes it is better for the other horses to get to their destination sooner rather than later.

It is always a worry shipping our horses - not matter what. And inconvenience is a factor that will have an effect on all of us at some point in time.

If the transport company is good with the horses and reliable most of the time - then I would rather have that company - rather than a company that is always on time no matter what the horses have to go through.

Have used HauledRight when we couldn't ship ourselves and they are a good shipping company. From both sides of the fence - it's actually more "normal" than anyone would like (including the hauler) to show up after dark - and even after midnight.

Often when things "go wrong" (truck, tires, weather, etc) it's better to just pick the horses up and keep moving.

Sorry things were stressful - but not as bad for your mini as it was your nerves promise. Bet things weren't ANY better on their end!

I haven't had a shipper pick up a horse at that time of night but certainly know that it can happen--and I have had one dropped off at midnight or later more than once. I just tell the driver that if I don't come out when he gets here to phone me, in case I've fallen asleep & don't hear the truck the phone will wake me. No worries--it happens even if there are no problems on the trip--depending what horses the driver has to pick up or deliver prior to his arrival in this area it may be very late when he gets here.

Had one Morgan gelding dropped off at midnight on a night when it was 30 below. I knew when the horse was picked up 10 hours away that he would arrive no earlier than midnight. I was prepared--had a blanket in the house, so could take it & put it on the horse before he was unloaded. Had his paddock & stall all ready for him, so I didn't have to do anything but lead him in & show him his hay and water & then leave him to settle in for the night.

Definitely it does pay to catch the horse in advance if the transport is going to arrive late, or after dark at all, especially if the horse isn't used to late night visits and to being caught that time of night--they sense something is up and react to your tension. And as someone who commonly has frozen in gates this time of year, yep, that's definitely something to consider in advance too! Advance planning creates a lot less stress for yourself, and is also helpful to the shipper who surely doesn't appreciate having to hang around waiting while someone fights with a frozen in gate (though the driver most likely put a good face on it & didn't let on)

Hi Jenny,

I am sure sorry to hear about Mel and hope he starts to feeling much better very soon.

Because we know that shippers can run into so many problems than can result in a delay that was unexpected - mechanical, weather, traffic and client situations (like your frozen gates, horse not wanting to be caught, etc.) that we let it be known that any horses being shipped from or to our farm can be picked up anytime 24/7. I don't want our horses or other horses being hauled to be delayed one minute more than necessary.

Most of them time, we have asked the shippers to call us when we they are 1 hour out - that way we can meet them at the barn and quickly load and not result in any delay. So yes, we have had shippers come at all hours of the night and even holidays - sometimes they arrive even earlier than planned and sometimes later. In fact a horse was picked up this past week at our farm - and the original pick up time was around 11am - they called at 6am and said they would be arriving by 8.

You poor thing. Yes, maybe it would have been a good idea to have done the things you said but, you know what? You didn't, it happened, now just let it go.

Deep breath, let it go.

You cannot go back and change one thing, you can only look to the future and, if it is reasonable, you can think of ways you would change that.

I stayed up all night waiting for a transporter that did as yours did (drove through the night with three drivers) only to find they were going to camp out next to the field and sleep!

I should have said "I'll be ready at five" I should have asked, but I didn't, so I am no better.

Deep breathes!!
default_smile.png
Thanks soooo much Jane! ...you are indeed that breathe of fresh air that I needed
default_yes.gif

By the way the water is BACK ON!!!
default_aktion033.gif
It was a screw that had worked itself out probably from the house fibrations or ??, anyway the guy saw it right off and put another in. We were glad to pay him $20.00 for his time on a Sunday. Thank you GOD!
default_pray.gif

Thanks everyone,

Jenny feeling MUCH better and we are heading down to SLC to see family and pickup the truck! Mel is feeling better and taking a much needed Nap right now...

default_saludando.gif

Oh my, what an unpleasant experience. Like Jane said, there are lots of 'Wish I had done so and so', but it's over so consider it experience for next time.

We have a number of different shippers come here during the year and sometimes it's the middle of the night. We just try to be prepared and get back to sleep as quickly as we can. We always ask that they call us when about 30 minutes out. So shippers in the middle of the night is really not uncommon.

Take care,

Charlotte

I'm so glad things are looking up for you today.

I understand what shippers have to go through while on the road and sometimes there are unexpected delays. From road conditions (especially in the winter), to road construction, equipment failure and even owners/sellers causing delays.

I am happy to meet transporters at anytime of night or day. I'd rather it not be in the middle of the night, but if that's what their schedule dictates, then I'm happy to oblige. It's not easy hauling horses for a living and their's is not a Monday - Friday, 8 - 5 job.

I do have my horses that are scheduled to leave, caught, stalled and ready to go. Generally, transporters call me a day in advance and give me an estimate on what time they think they will arrive at my farm. Then a call when they are about an hour out prepares me to have all paperwork and the horse ready to go.

My thoughts are to help them make their jobs just a little bit easier. I know I'd want someone to do it for me.
default_smile.png

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate and had a lot going on that day...

I am pretty open and easy to work with, i've put horses on the trailer for shipping at 3am, 4am. Gotten horses off the trailer around that time too. I'd welcome shippers here at any hour. I do prefer myself to be here when sending a horse off to make sure all things go with that need to.

Sorry Mel isn't feeling well...

I had a hauler come years ago at 4AM to pick up a friend's horse going to CA and at that time the barn was 20 minutes away. We loaded him and it really wasn't a big deal...

I've also take possession of a horse in the wee hours... he was coming from Manitoba to Toronto, (in February, no less!) and we drove up from Pittsburgh. Spent the night, he was supposed to arrive 4PM. They got delayed, he came in at 2:30 AM.... and since he was delivered to a slaughter yard, I sure wasn't leaving him THERE overnight! We went and got him, he spent the night on the trailer and in the morning we went home!

When shipping horses you have to be flexable. Break downs happen and its a whole lot more hard on the shippers than it is on you sitting there waiting for them. Look at it from their side: its costing them a lot of extra time, money, and making them work ten times harder with the horses, not to mention the flack they have to put up with from disgruntled people.I know and happen to love Hauled Wright and believe me, if there is one slight thing wrong with their rig, I know they would pull over and have it fixed before going another mile risking themselves and the precious cargo they carry. They care about each and every horse on board and they do go the extra mile for them. Please don't hold a delay against them. That is part of the hauling biz.

Sounds to me like you have had more than your share of stress related come down on you all at the same time. Relax, take deep breaths, make yourself a nice hot cup of tea... all is well.....you will be ok and most important, your horse is in excellent hands.
default_wub.png

Sorry you had a frenzied experience. I have dealt with this shipper and have no complaints what so ever, they went above and beyond, even administering ulcer meds I purchased and sent ahead of time as a precaution (3 day trip) at no charge. They were very reliable, got my mare to me safe, sound and in wonderful shape. Everyone has a bad day every now and again.

Although I'm sorry you had such a frazzled experience... I don't think the additional personal problems you had are any fault at all of the shippers.

Shippers travel with live animal loads, in unpredictable weather, and to places that they may have never been or are familiar with. It would be impossible for them to know when and where they can be specifically.

I have a very busy schedule and I don't live where my horses are at, so I try VERY hard to be available and flexible for the shippers I've used when having them shipped or delivered. I've never minded them coming at any hour of the day or night.

The horses are stuck on that trailer and I'm sure the horses would appreciate everyone along all stops being flexible... if you had said NO, don't come at midnight, come at 7am that means all the horses on that trailer would have had to wait a whole 'nother seven hours unplanned on that trailer just because YOUR horse wasn't ready to join them. If one of those horses were mine, I'd appreciate everyone getting MY horse to where it needed to be along that route as quick as possible!

Again, sorry it wasn't a great experience for you but I have to side with the hauler. They don't have control about how punctual they are to every stop. I have used Hauled Right several times and I do appreciate they at least update often and let me know delays or running ahead of schedule! Not knowing is far worse.

Andrea

Im sorry things got so frazzled for you but we all have days like that, lol. The shipper called and let you know they have problems so I think they were making an effort anyway to be there as soon as they could. I think as a horse owner I would like to get the horses to the destination as quickly as possible so the other horses on the trailer wont be on there as long either. I try to be prompt and prepared when the shippers come. I have hay packed for them, grain for the new owner upon arrival to have and to use to switch over to the new owners grain once the horse has arrived at their destination. All paperwork is here and ready. I have as many lights on as possible to make it easier for the shippers to see. While its nice if they come before midnight, I have had several come in the wee hours of the morning. But I just go to bed earlier and work around it. Its part of it, and we pretty much have them coming in every month here so you get used to it. They are doing their job and I think its pretty hard to time it perfectly. I do ask them to call me when they are about an hour away so I can be prepared and have the gate open for them.

Shippers do work hard, driving for so many hours, weather problems, traffic or repair problems, and then trying to pull in and out of drives where theyve never been and trying to get to their destinations on a timely matter. Im sure its hard for them too.

I am glad things have calmed down now and that Mel is feeling better. WE all get stressed sometimes!! Laura

We have had haulers come late at night and very early in the morning to pick up or deliver and even there has been a few times that Scott has actually met the hauler at a parking lot so that it would be easier than to have the hauler come to our place in the dark since there is very limited area to turn around being where we live. My husband drives truck for a living every day and he knows what drivers are up against with going to area's that they are not familiar with and especially peoples homes with long driveways, no where to turn around and trees along driveways that beat up against your truck & trailer too. Most of the haulers that we dealt with have always called ahead to give us a update and even so, sometimes they still run behind. If all possible, we try to haul our own or deliver horses that we sell if it is in a reasonable time frame and distance.

I think just everything has overwhelmed your situation with added stress. I know I sure wouldn't want to haul livestock for a living, its no picnic being on the road let alone dealing with peoples livestock and the DOT inspectors at the stations.

We have even been stopped by the PA state police being only a half hour from home coming back on the return trip from picking up one of our own horses with the state police checking the paperwork of the horses being transported on our trailer.

I am sorry that you have had problems.

I have used Hauled Right MANY times, both picking up horses and delivering to me. They have always been very good, clean, safe, good communications, arrival times have been within proposed times.

Please try to remember that trucks do break down,tires blow, snow falls, detours occurs, horses get sick, drivers get exhausted.... etc.

Pick ups and drop offs can never be exact, there are just too many things that can happen.I have had to change my work schedules, or call out sick to be there for a hauler. Manure happens.

These people are GOOD Haulers and I hope that you don't hold it against them.

Latest posts

Back