She is SO close! ITS A colt! PICS page 8 update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridachick

Reaction score
She has blood drops on her bag and she is very relaxed in the back and her vulva is so long.. What do you think? She is not dripping milk any longer, but was 2 days ago.

Picture840.jpg

Picture838.jpg

Picture839.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ksohmc/Picture840.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ksohmc/Picture838.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ksohmc/Picture839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an opinion since I don't know nuttin about birthin babies.....just wanted to wish you good luck with the new little one to be. I am curious about the blood drops on her bag though; been on LB for a few years now and have never read about anything like that.

It could be Capillaries bursting and or the start of a Mastitis. We are watching her closly. thanks

Just wanted to say good luck FloridaChick!

I only had one mare foal, sort of like your mare, unknown due date ect.

Funny thing is I asked her one night while checking ' is tonight the night' and there was a big kick! Could have been the flashlight moving, could have been something else (I told myself)
default_wub.png

But sure enough she had the baby that night!!!!
default_wacko.png

From the look on your mares face in the first photo, she has a look that I would say is Get This Baby Out! lol!!!

At least it is nice in North Fl right now, How is it on your side? My west side is beautifull!
default_saludando.gif

65 degrees and sunny. Its getting cold at night though.

Thats just about how it is here. Not too cold most nights though. I hope she has a safe foaling!

It is not uncommon to "pop" a capillary when you are trying to get milk out and can cause some blood on the teats or in the milk. But if the udder feels unusually hot swollen and hard I would be concerned about mastitis. I would think they are more likely to get mastitis after foaling rather than before, but you never know!

Are you sure the milk was dripping, you saw it dripping, or was it just beaded on the end of the teat? Sometimes when they lay down and get up the pressure can force a little milk out to the end of the teat and it looks like waxing, but it's not.

She doesn't look huge and full to me (her udder), but that doesn't mean anything! I would certainly keep a close eye on her, they can be soo tricky!

Thank you, I keep checking her every 2 hrs. When I say dripping it wasn't streaming, but there was stickiness on the inside of her thigh and droplets on her bag. Her bag is not hot and its not bothering her for me to mess with her. ( If it was Mastitis It would bother her. ) I can't wait for her to have this baby! I am going away on 2/19 so if its not by then I need to bring her to my friends farm for foaling as hubby isn't comfortable helping if needed.
default_wacko.png

I don't think she is going to hold out for another 19 days! No way. With all the signs you describe she's ready to go any time.....

Don't you have a magic wand? Can't you tell me when "anytime" is? LOL
default_yes.gif

Hey Floridachick - I agree with anytime!!

As for when anytime is - when you go in for a cup of coffee or a shower, turn her out for 10 minutes while you clean the stall, as soon as you doze off for 10 minutes, get interested in a really good movie, etc!!
default_wink.png

Good luck! Can you post a pic of her vulva? I also have a pregnant rescue mare with no breeding info and have found your pics helpful as a comparrison!! Thanks and good luck with the big day!!

~Tammy

Sorry its too dark, I will try in the am.. What does your mare look like compared to my tubby tanker?

FOR WHAT IS WORTH,I'VE NOTICED WHEN MY MARES ARE CLOSE THE VULVA AND RECTUM ARE IN LINE THAT THEY LOOK LIKE ONE. USUALLY THEY FOAL WITHIN A FEW HOURS. I'M NO EXPERT THIS IS OBSERVATIONON MY PART. GOOD LUCK.

Well, I just checked her and took pics with the headlamp. Poor mare. Here she is now:

Picture842.jpg

Picture843.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the mare's feelings....but if your neighbours saw what you were doing you may get a call from the police!!!!

She doesn't look absolutely imminent to me, but I have found it is a change in the bag or the vulva that counts, so if the vulva has been slack then suddenly prunes up, or vice versa, same with the bag, I have had mares absolutely pushing to bursting in their bags suddenly slacken off and foal that night.

Good Luck, no matter how well you watch her it will be the moment that you do not she will foal!
default_biggrin.png

The udder looks promising but the vulva is still puckery...when it is all slack you will know it is time!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Latest posts

Back