How long can stage 1 labor last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to hear what the vet says.

You're doing just fine worrying about little momma. You care and love her, and that's what's important. And you're very careful, calling the vet when you're concerned. THAT's what makes you a very special "momma".

We love you for it!

My friends mare had this and it turned out to be an infection from the birth (which was not traumatic but was her first and was early)

Course of antibiotics and she was fine.

Sorry I didn get on here yesterday. She did have another foal but it was deformed and tiny. She passed it early Thursday morning before the vet came it was dead. But she still got her ultrasound and blood work and a theral checking and she is on antibiotics just incase and her belly is 100% emptied and only food and water is allowed from now on... Lol

Sorry I didn get on here yesterday. She did have another foal but it was deformed and tiny. She passed it early Thursday morning before the vet came it was dead. But she still got her ultrasound and blood work and a theral checking and she is on antibiotics just incase and her belly is 100% emptied and only food and water is allowed from now on... Lol

So sorry for what you have been through but glad your mare made it through all of this. I don't come to the mare stare forum much anymore but got interested in your thread. My gut told me something was amiss. Actually, it was a combination of your dream about two different colored colts and then purple and the heavy bouncing like basketballs you were observing on both her sides. I had a feeling there were two babies even though I had only read about the possibility and certainly have never known of anyone who had this happen. Twins are indeed very rare and surviving would be even more rare. That other type pregnancy super? made more sense to me and I had a tiny hope of the vet delivering a second one alive because you were continuing to see movement beyond the normal after the first foaling. You have been in my prayers all along. I commend you for your efforts and thank you for sharing so that we can all learn.

Also want to say hi to all those quirky aunties I used to hang out with on here Jackie, Lady K, Cassie, Anna, Eagle, and so many more wherever you are. Kudos to those still checking in and encouraging and helping all here. Did we ever get to go back to where you can edit the title of your post? That would sure be beneficial in this case so that others may learn about this rarity.

Vickie, we've missed you here. Don't be a stranger!! And, no, the forum changed and things were not quite the way they were. There will be another change soon, I've been told, but we'll have to see.

I was concerned about a twin, but not hopeful, as twins rarely can survive. One might make it, but the second one seldom does, as it is usually quite a bit smaller and weaker. I only know of a few twins from minis that made it, and many more that didn't.

KUDOS to you watching your little momma so carefully. You saved her for sure, and your careful loving of her will bring her around as she shares her love back at you. We're very proud of all you did, you should commend yourself for all your learning and efforts to learn all you could. We're happy to have been even a little help to you on this journey, and hope you will stay here and join us on the threads.

Please keep us posted on this little momma. She's come to mean a lot to us, and you too!!

~~Diane

Last edited:
All I know to say is "Wow". Thank you for sharing your experience w/ us thru this very rare occurrence and for being so helpful to your little mare!

So sorry for all that you have been thru. You have really showed us a true "caring spirit" and the fact that a mum always knows when somethings not right with one of her children.

Ryan
default_smile.png

Its so nice to see lil bit being her playful sweet self again she back to herself 100%. I'm a happy momma.

So I got a call last night about a mare that needed to be picked up or it was gonna be killed and buried, the police wouldn't investigate until she was actually shot. Long story short I have a new made till I can get her rehomed my vet is coming Monday But I'm afraid she is late term pregnant. She is very skidish she won't let me keep my hands on her long if y'all could take a look at the few pictures I have

IMG_20160217_144535.jpgIMG_20160217_144520.jpgIMG_20160217_144428.jpg

The udders are what's got me nervous

From what I was told she is only 2 years old

I'm not sure if I'm emotional ready for this but I have no choice now. Lord give me strength

Since she's developing an udder, the bag should fill more, and the teats should fill out more. From the side picture, I'd say you have a little time, as baby isn't quite lined up yet, and needs to move a bit forward of center. So, I think you have a little time, but you will be fine, as you have learned and demonstrated that you know what to do. This girl is lucky to have found you.

We're here if you need us, and my phone is always available: 863-990-3210 if you need some assistance.

Give her time, and she'll come to trust you more. She's been in a stressful situation, and moving to your place was probably stressful for her too. Just your calm movements and soft voice should help calm her, and don't be surprised, as she nears delivery, if her shyness is replaced with her "need" for your comfort.

Keep us posted, and remember, we have great faith in what you know, and how you care. This mare is sooooo lucky!!

She has taken to my gelding already and he is very affectionate towards me and when's he comes to mW she follows I just hope I have enough time to get her comfortable before she gets ready to foal

I can't get a clear enough pic I tried to find something online but cant she has white bumps all over her boobs and nipples I tried wiping them off but they aren't wiping off any ideas? I'll post what I took but they are hard to see

Latest posts

Back