How long can stage 1 labor last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sooo sorry to hear about this!!

Sending a cyber hug your way. I know, not the same, but the thoughts are there!

Please let us know that you mare (and you, of course) are doing ok later, as others have asked as well...

We are going to be ok the vet has checked her said she looks great and I did a good job at getting the baby out under the circumstances... And lil bit reassured me that it wasn't my fault with a kiss on the cheek and a head over my shoulder hug.

Im so sorry to read this , hope you are all ok. You really should be commended on everything you have done for this little mare, your willingness to learn and ask questions here has not only helped you but also others. Im so sorry you have had to go through this.

best wishes Ryan

I too wish I had words to ease your pain. I offer sincere condolences. Your mare is very generous hearted to try and comfort you as best she could during her loss. I hope that you'll get to spend a couple of hours a day with her for the next few days. She needs you to quietly mourn with her.

Again, I offer my sympathy.

I havent left her side she's my baby... I noticed her stomach was moving and what looks like kicking i was concerened and callee the vet he said not to get my hopes up because its rare very rare and the likely hood of it surving is even more rare he said she may have been having a superfetation pregnancy... I looked it up but it doesn't seem possible. What else could this be? I have to wait till Thursday for an ultrasound. Any thoughts or advice?

Could this be something seriously wrong with her causing the movement

Stay calm. I don't think its a superfetation pregnancy, but then, we all can be surprised. After delivery, remember the uterus contracts until it reaches "normal non-pregnant size", so maybe that's what you're seeing.

I don't think it's anything serious, so take a deep breath and relax.

But, just be calm, and we'll all wait with you until the vet can check for sure. Don't get your hopes up -- it's very rare, so let's be pleasantly surprised if it is. But just love on that little momma -- she and you deserve to love each other for all you have done for her.

I'm not getting hope up I just want her to be ok I don't want her to have to go through all that again do they roll on the ground and bit there sides after foaling? She's acting like she was 2 days ago laying down rolling getting up swishing her tail rubbing her but and bitting her sides... Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it feels like a baby rolling around and then the whole right side o her belly Pops out then her left side twitches like kicks

She was up and down all last night biting her sides rubbing her butt and this morning her milk is dripping and I'm having deja vu from sunday morning this is just weird... I'm sure its just her body getting rid of what she doesn't need and I'm guessing her behavior is normal. Idk

She was up and down all last night biting her sides rubbing her butt and this morning her milk is dripping and I'm having deja vu from sunday morning this is just weird... I'm sure its just her body getting rid of what she doesn't need and I'm guessing her behavior is normal. Idk

Some people may not agree withme, and that's okay...but if her milk is dripping a lot, you may want to collect it, or at least some of it. Sometimes, not always, a mare leaks enough milk for a long enough duration that the foal misses out on that vital colostrum. If she is just drippi g a bit, her vulva is loose and she is real cranky, then she is probably going to foal real soon. But, if she is really leaking, like you left the faucet trickling leaking, then you may want to collect the milk refrigerate it, then warm it up and get it to the foal within the first 24 hours after birth. I know it is tricky to bottle feed, as you do not want to fill the foal up and deter them from nursing off of their dam, but getting colostrum is crucial. Just a thought.

Amysue, the mare had a red bag a couple days ago. The owner was unable to get the colt out in time. That's why she is so worried because this was the same behavior prior to the birth.

I think I'm just paying to close of attention and analyzing everything way too much. She won't leave her stale though and it has me worried but maybe she's just mourning her baby and hurting because of her uterus contracting I've never seen any of this and I think I may be over reacting this is just my baby she's like one of my kids if I could she would come inside with us lol thank you all for letting me vent my crazies on here so I don't have to worry to myself everyone being so nice... I'm just an over reacting momma

Your not over reacting. Its unusual for a mares uterus to still be contracting so much the mare is uncomfortable, this far out post delivery. Unless she is very sensitive and can't tolerate pain that much.

Had a mare deliver kast year and the delivery was hard. One back leg was forward. Colt didn't make it. Even though we hsd to get aggresive to deliver foal, without losing the mare, she was her normal self by morning. Showed no pain.

I am so sorry to hear about your foal, so sorry for your loss. I missed that page of this thread (stupid phone).

I had never heard of superfetation pregnancy so I looked it up. Very interesting. While the chances are slim that she is dealing with one I think you are wise to be getting the ultrasound. You are not going crazy. You have just been through a lot and I am glad the mare made it through and no doubt she senses your loyalty and affection which makes it easier on her. I hope you get some rest and life gets easier. Let us know how her health is after the vet checks her again on Thursday.

I agree with MMM, your not overreacting at all. Your a mum that cares for her fur kids as all mothers and fathers should
default_smile.png

Keep us posted with hows she is doing and what the vet says.

Ryan
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back