Share your few spotted appy.I would love to see them

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I have a new mare who is few spotted appy.She looks pure white, but some folks say she is gray.I would love to see everyone to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my little 28.5" Starchief Midnights Starbright.
default_smile.png

starbright-118-2.jpg

Susan O.

My few spot is fairly close to horsehug's. I really don't think your mare is a few spot, MB. She has no spots anywhere that I saw on the pictures and I don't see any pigmentation anywhere to indicate varnish. She still looks grey to me, but the max sabino w/appy is also a possibility. Going to go look up her pedigree
default_smile.png

Well, I think I've figured it out. The sire is LP/LP tested so the mare must have LP (appy) but, the sire has no spots in the picture I found and I did find a son that showed pictures of him through his greying process and the dam is a sorrel pinto, so the sire also carriea grey. So, I think your mare, MBHorses, is an appaloosa (maybe pinto too if dam is pinto) gone grey.

I agree that MB's mare is not Fewspot- I cannot see anyway she can be although Appy is a tricky gene and my own Pintaloosa boy did not show the "'loosa" bit until he was nearly seven and had given me a heart attack by throwing a full Appy foal o/o a visually solid mare. Three sets of DNA later (I had Appy colts at the time) it was proven he was the sire. The "solid" mare was by a stallion who was by a Leopard........

It is a hard one. I wondered about Grey too, was the sire "white" in the picture?

My guess from the photos of your mare that she is an appy with grey so lost any solid pigmentation. Can't say if she is a fewspot or not without seeing photos of her younger before she lost the color markings she may have had. Of course you can also color test for appaloosa gene now and know for sure if she is or isn't an appaloosa!

A quick question about appaloosa genetics. Both the sire and the dam have to have appy genes for resulting foal to show appy coloration right? My mare has a grandparent who is appy on her dam's side, but her sire is a straight Shetland, and there are no Shetland appys, correct? So it would be genetically impossible for my mare to be an appy?

Sorry this is off topic, but I didnt want to start another thread for something that could easily be answered in one post!

JaniceZ, No both parents do NOT need to be Appaloosa to create an Appy, but to be possibly homozygous, both parents have to be Appaloosa. Just like for a homozygous pinto, both parents have to be pinto.

Let me just add, fewspots are NOT roans or colored horses with 'a few spots'. They are born fewspots- they dont turn into one later by changing color. Unfortunately, I have seen a few grays (horses that were born with color but lost it all due to the gray gene) that were passed off to unknowing people as fewspots. I have also seen roan Appaloosas that have extreme roaning over the years also be passed off as fewspots. Roans are usually born solid or with very little white, and roan out over a period of time- sometimes several years.

I have a fewspot stallion- unable to post pics til I get home though.

Jane-he was. I think he is a few spot but also grey. If you google his name you'll find a son that shows his greying process and then googling that son's dam shows she is a sorrel pinto.

Few spots are basicly white- and as my previous post stated, must have Appaloosa parents- usually leopard or leopard grandparents. They do not roan out into a few spot, nor are they grayed out- they are born what they are. If a horse has changed color to become mostly white- that is not a few spot.

Not necessarily I am afraid- I agree that they are visually pretty much white but I know of at least two, true, proven by breeding, Fewspots that were born a sort of solid- one was chestnut at birth but faded within three days to white with just a hint of red in his mane and tail, most strange, the other, who is still alive, I think, was, as far as I can ascertain, born solid black(!!) I did not see him then but by the time I did at three years old he was a typical Fewspot and has never sired a non Appy foal out of any type or breed of mare he has been put to, since the last I heard he was 25+ I think we might assume he is/was a Fewspot.

I am also pretty sure that both parents have to have the Appy gene but do both parents actually have to be visual Appies??

Roans that are born solid can also be LP/LP and homozygous for the Appy gene- it does NOT mean they are a few spot at all. He would then be a homozygous roan- not a few spot.

If the one faded within 3 days to white, it was because the 'pig hairs' or outer coat were giving the illusion of 'color' but it was white underneath. This is still a fewspot- if you look 'under' the colored outer coat, you will see the foal is white under there. It did not change it's basic coat pattern.

Sorry, HG that does not make any sense to me, could you break it down a bit? The colt was not Roan, he had no Roan, he was born solid chestnut.....

HG-Fewspots can be born almost solid and then get their color later, but still have PATN-1. Sometimes "restrictors" like being female, black based, or other genes will make that happen. A lot of times having sabino will help give the few spot more white than what it would normally and also being PATN-1 homozygous as well (though the sabino is more common in minis). So Jane is correct, at least from what I think I understand from the Appaloosa Project, which may not be much! I do have an LP homozygous tested mare that is solid, except for her characteristics. I only knew to test because she has no pigmentation on her muzzle or hooves or around her eyes.

Jane-I do not think this mare is fewspot, I think she is het appy that is grey. It is her sire that is LP/LP

MB my mare Starbright is actually a red based fewspot.

Susan O.

EchoGracie1012 061.JPG

EchoGracie1012 056.JPG

EchoGracie1012 067.JPG

will a horses who is gray have very pink nose and very pink around the eye?.this mare (the white I am asking about)has appy mottling on nose and eyes and private area.

here are photos from sat. when she got here. Her dam is black pinto and sire is white appy

click on picture it will enlarge so you can see the pink

Yes, Melissa-I believe she is appy AND grey and could very well have pinto there as well (just can't tell by pics since she has already greyed). Since her sire can only produce appy, she must be one, but since she has no spots whatsoever and isn't varnish, that's why I believe grey as well. Hope that helps
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back