Shaft length for 44" show pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I am about to start looking for a show/work cart to fit my 44" classic show pony that is coming home in a couple of weeks.

What length shafts do I need to look for? Thank you...

Swan_Cruise_Control_FULL.jpg

When I asked this question awhile back on another board Jason recommended 65" shafts--he posted pix of some of his ponies driving in 65" shafts (show carts) and they looked good. That is what I got on my pony cart this year & lengthwise they are great--unfortunately I do have find someone to make a different set of shafts for this cart because it turns out these are wider than what was listed on the website, and are much too wide even on my widest pony.

So, I would say 65" but just double check the width of the shafts before buying. My cart was supposed to have 23" width & came with 24"--I would say that 20" would be good, 21" would probably work.

I think Jerald makes 68" and 72" shafts... The 68" will work best but a 72" will be livable.

Measure him from point of shoulder to backside of tail and add 8 to 12". Then take the shaft length that comes closest. If he's inbetween, go by how his action is. If he has big action go for the next longer size.

Last edited by a moderator:
He won't be home for a couple of weeks, or I would measure him. I was just trying to get a base estimate to go off from as I have found a couple carts already and just trying to see if they were in the general fitting range. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back