selling foals/horses can be heartbreaking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, especially since I have new foals on the ground. So I thought I’d give some food for thought on selling your babies.

Take care and steel your heart to potential pain.

I sold a horse to someone that I shouldn’t have. I paid dearly for it. And so did the horse.

A couple years ago I sold a weanling colt to a buyer. For the sale of that colt I had asked a ton of questions, even talking to another person in the home once I learned more about the buyer I was talking to. Okay, it seemed fine. I delivered the colt and the set up was decent. I felt better.

Then later I found out they traded the colt and when I called to ask about it they told me that they couldn’t handle him. That he had attacked a police officer. I called the new owner of the colt and it was a very experienced home and she described what he was doing and said she knew how to handle his behaviors. I felt better.

Then the buyer wanted to buy a 6 month old filly from me. I wanted to feel assured by this buyer that they were able to handle a young filly. The buyer had all kinds of experience halter training a horse and working with young fillies and told me no problem. We talked food and worming and all the stuff I normally talk about with a buyer. Talked to the other person in the home again.

The filly was still nursing some (and eating grain, which mine start nibbling on at about a week old anyway) so in this case we weaned her cold turkey. Not something I like to do, but it’s been done before and you just have to watch for ulcers and make sure they are eating and thriving afterwards.

Delivered the horse.

The buyer called me after a short period of time and said she wanted to return the horse because she didn’t respect the electric fence. I explained, as I had before, that my horses don’t have electric fencing and you have to teach a horse what electric fencing is. (I swear some of my piggy mares would plow right through it no matter how high the voltage, if it meant a meal for them. Which is why I don’t use it.)

She also said the horse was thin. I went through the usual questions, trying to help. Have you wormed her since you got her? Are you feeding her something like Mare & Foal or Equine Junior (which I had already recommended). Is she getting free choice hay? Is she being bullied off her food?

I didn’t take her back then.

This buyer was not happy with me. I experienced the worst harassment in my life and I was publicly slandered and defamed.

Then I saw this horse advertised locally and she was described as neglected, etc. I suspected she wouldn’t sell to me so I had friends make the contacts. She turned them all down for the most absurd reasons—doesn’t get along with fillies, or geldings, or mares, and you need a dog not a horse. The other person in the house said they loved this filly and wouldn’t sell her and didn't know about the ad.

Not too long ago I heard that this young horse got loose and subsequently run over by a car and killed.

Why didn’t I listen to the little voice in my head?

Next time I sell a baby I will see the image of that little filly in my mind and hope that the home is a good one.

Listen to the internal warnings.

I'm SO sorry for the foals ending. This is the SECOND reason we quit breeding our horses several years ago. The FIRST reason is there are way, way too many horses (both big and mini) being born and ending up (hopefully) in a rescue somewhere. If they aren't fortunate enough to end up at a GOOD rescue, well, I just won't go there. I wish folks who are still breeding realize they are bringing a life into this world that didn't ask to be here. There are a lucky few that get great homes, but by what I've seen lately, far too many end in misery.

Pam

I think there a few of us who have had some situations which we were not prepared for.

I sold a couple of ladies three horses.

I thought I knew the people very well and told them specific things about the horses which were very important to the future well being of those horses.

Two of the horses died and it was due to human errors by both ladies. (Mother and daughter)

I wouldn't sell these two another horse for any amount of money, and if I am ever asked about them for a reference I am sure to let the sellers know what happened in the cases of two of our horses.

I just don't know how you can protect your horses from people who have poor animal husbandry practices.

Very sorry for the story's sad ending....

I'm with Pam(horsefeather); this is a major reason why I quit breeding. It is IMO always a risk when selling to those who have no experience w/ horses, or, as bad, those who *think* they are GENUINELY horse-knowledgeable, and will portray themselves as such. When you really don't KNOW someone, how are you possibly to be sure that they are what they *seem* to be--in these times, when so many are either self-involved or blatant liars...yet may well be able to *seem* like the salt of the earth? Yes, sometimes the HORSE gets lucky, and the buyer actually IS an ethical person, but too often, it comes to the kind of result described by the OP.I know I realized that I just didn't want to have to deal with the uncertainties.

I am aware that there are some truly dedicated, truly knowledgable breeders in the miniature horse world; most often, they are selective in their efforts, going for quality, NOT quantity, and they work to build such a reputation as to have their resulting produce in HIGH demand, and commanding good prices...two factors that help ensure that the horses will be in an appreciative and properly-cared-for home.Even so, there just aren't any guarantees.JMHO.

Margo

This is true in ANYTHING in life. You can't predict the future. A friend of mine who took EXCELLENT care of her horses had 3 get out on the road and get killed. She had good fencing, but they broke through anyhow. There are puppy mills and cat hoarders and wanna be rescues that take in horses and then can't feed them.

I just went to a farm who had 10 appaloosas. A 2YO colt and Yearling filly for sale that had never had a halter on or been caught. They were in great weight, friendly, but never handled. Even their feet looked good. Not sure how, because they had never been trimmed, but they were pretty good. Does this lady need to be breeding? No, but it's her choice and she is taking excellent care of them, as well as several minis, half dozen mini donks, peacocks, game birds, and even a Zebra and Z-donk.

For every bad sale there are many good ones. It's just the bad ones that get publicized. High prices don't mean that the home they are being sold to is any better, just that they can afford more.

I am breeding a few mares, and will continue to do so as I desire. IMO I have some good stock and they are worthy of reproducing.

I'm sorry for the unfortunate ending....

A sale is not as important to me as the well being of my horses and with that said if I had ever sold a horse to someone then they decided that for some apparent reason that they didn't like the horse I'd do EVERYTHING within my power to get it back.

As a breeder/seller it's my responsibility to make certain that I've placed the horse in the proper environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm am sorry for your heartbreak. I do not want to ever sell a horse, because of what could happen two or three buyers down the line. If the good home sells to another home and things seem OK, the third home could be an auction pen or worse. There are so many horses out there now and rescues are overfull. I don't think it is possible to screen a home enough to ensure that in 5-10 years the horse will still be in the situation where they were placed.

sometimes I think a 50 page questionare wouldnt be enough.... there are just a LOT of people out there that should not have animals. This is why I would never breed, I care too much about those offspring. I am glad you posted this though, as hard as it might have been to re hash the storys. People need to know how easy it is for buyers to pretend to be good horse owners.

This is one of the reason's i think that people should not breed medium or low quality miniatures.

If they are selling for a high price because they are well breed , great blood line's ect ,they cost more money and normally people dont pay out large sums of $$$$ and then not look after the horse... "normally!!!!!!!
wacko.gif

You know, asking a ton of questions about horse knowledge will not assure a good home. When I bought my first mini I had no horse experience. None. I had never owned a horse before. Oh, to be sure I had done my homework and studied about what I needed to do, but had no actual hands on experience. So I guess I was a definite "risk". However, my horses (and I now have four), are well cared for and much loved. They have a forever home with us and will probably outlive us. We recently moved from Texas to Kentucky specifically for them to have more land. Now, I agree that maybe I am the exception and not the rule but the fact is, I would have failed miserably on any interview from the sellers. And yet, here we are, the horses are happy, we are happy.
default_rolleyes.gif
I don't think there is any real way to tell how the new home will turn out. I think you, as the seller, can just make the best decision you can at the time. Ask questions, talk to the prospective buyers and make a decision to sell based on the information you have at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20.

After thinkng this over there really is only one answer here

STOP BREEDING EVERYONE ,INCLUDEING ME....although i dont breed to sell its just for me to keep
yes.gif

the problem is people wont stop they will just keep coming up with so called reason's to do it.....

Remember most will end up at some point in there lifes in a poor home....the more you breed the bigger the risk...... all because we enjoy to do it....SAD VERY SAD

Back