Second foal for us and her story (long)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin1

Reaction score
Tuesday morning I notice Crystal down and rolling. First thought was , "uh oh". So out I go and grab my friend/tenant and we got Crystal out of her stall and took her out into the yard. Her water broke and one foot and head emerged.

Problem added: a few nights before this foaling I broke up a dog fight between two anatolian shepherds. In the process I strained the ligaments in my left arm, and when one of the girls made a lunge for the other, she snapped and sunk her tooth into my thumb between the two knuckles sinking down into my knuckle. So I can't grip anything.

So my friend went in and "thought" she felt the other front foot but couldn't budge it. I go in and kept saying, "it didn't feel right" but with my thumb I was just having trouble getting in there. Well long story somewhat shorter I retrieved what I felt was a hind foot. Pushed that back, hooked the trailer, mare and friend went in the trailer and headed for my vets house. She was quite a ways north and her house was in the middle, so we would meet there.

After going 80 mph up the freeway, we got to her house and the vet was there waiting. The foal was half way out and the vet had one heck of a time getting her the rest of the way out. She still had a heartbeat but that was all. The vet worked hard and with time got her to come around. To add to this, the mare didn't have any milk. So we got the baby a paste called Colostrum boost, and borrowed some milk from the mare that foaled the night before.

I was up all night feeding her 60 cc's of goats milk along with whatever I could get from the other mare. Later that morning she seemed a bit off and in the afternoon started going down hill. Back out to the vets, IV's, glucose bags, etc. After about 2 hours I told that vet to let her go. Since we had already started the glucose the vet wanted to keep her on it as she had seen many foals bounce back. She said the baby was unconscious and not feeling anything so lets she what she does. I have to say at this point that my vet is not a big fan of going to extremes, so I trust her judgment. She died later that evening.

The little girl lived approximately 36 hours but received a lot of love in those hours. So here is our little Angel who is also by the stallion in my avatar.

crystals06filly.jpg

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]Robin, So sorry , how sad she was beautiful! Sometimes the stress of just getting here is too hard on the babies. Hope your mare will be ok.

Lyn

I am so sorry to hear you lost this beautiful little girl. She was loved and you did everything you could.

I'm so sorry for you. It's so sad to lose them after they've been alive a bit. And sorry for your mare too .

She was a cutie and you did all you could. Now you get well yourself.

Joyce

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. That's so sad! It never seems fair when you try everything and it still isn't enough. :no:

default_sad.png
I am so very sorry that you lost her, what a beautiful little girl she was. They don't have to be with us long to leave their little imprint on our hearts.

Robin.... I'm so sorry.

Please take care of yourself and your mare..

All the loses are very hard to take.

Awwwwwwwww......Robin, I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png
She was such a cute little thing....but it sounds like you did everything possible for her. I hope your dog bite heals soon....that has to really hurt!

Oh Robin I am so sorry. I lost two foals this year but they were abortions and I didn't get to know them. It is so much harder to lose these precious creatures once you do know and love them. My prayers for you and your mare.

Ginny StP

Thank you, she was very sweet and such a little fighter.
default_wub.png
:

Dona, yes it hurts but I can finally bend it little.
default_unsure.png
:

Robin

:no: I'm so sorry to hear the foal didn't make it. You did your best. Hope the mare is doing ok. God Bless.

Robin, I am so very sorry for your loss, what a beautiful filly. :no:

Aww Robin,

I'm so sorry you lost your little girl. You did everything you could, sometimes it's just a mystery why we can't keep them longer. Give your mare a hug for me, and I hope the rest of your foaling season improves!!!

Latest posts

Back