Sales Board Ad -- Very Interesting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the ad for a leopard appy 4mos filly who's out of a 34" mini mare and by a 16hh leopard stallion?

I saw that too....

Is that possible without hurting the mare?

default_unsure.png
:

My "wild" guess is that they used AI.

Okay, I never thought of that...My mind is elsewhere today...Thank you

I personally, would have never taken the risk. Also, it cannot be registered anything (not even POA) though she is beautiful!

My concern would be beyond the "act" itself, but as to whether the mare could safely carry and deliver a baby that could be the result of such a pairing. I know, I know, I've heard a mare will only carry what she is able to accomodate, but then, if that were really so, we wouldn't be so very careful about whether a stallion might be too big for a mare to safely deliver his offspring. That was my concern here. But, apparently, it worked.

And, sorry, but I don't think people would invest the money in AI, if the resulting foal cannot be registered in any registry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It cannot be registered ApHC because they A) do not hardship any longer and B) would not accept 'pony' /Mini breeding. POA has stopped hardshipping as well, and would not recognize the dam since she is a Mini. It obviously by the photos, will not qualify for even AMHR as it is outgrowing any Mini standards.

Looking at the size of the foal, this is not a typo, unless they are 'mistaken' about the mother.

Cute little filly

It is quite possible the dam is not 34" at all- if I had a penny for the number of "absolutely tiny" ponies I have gone to look at that were actually around 40"- still very small to the people that owned them, but when I've been dragged out under the impression I ma going to see a 28" horse it is a bit annoying!!

If the mare were around 40" it is even possible that it was thought it would be funny to let them run together- some people have a warped sense of humour after all.

A friend of mines Arab stallion who was 15.3hh bred one of the school ponies- she was 10.2hh- even though Monica was an experienced horse person she did not think it was possible!!!!

The mare foaled successfully
default_wacko.png
:

"A friend of mines Arab stallion who was 15.3hh bred one of the school ponies- she was 10.2hh- even though Monica was an experienced horse person she did not think it was possible!!!!

The mare foaled successfully"

Rabbit i think that is cruel letting a 15.3'' horse be put to a 10.2'' she could have had any sort of problems foaling and lost the mare as well as the foal...Very risky in my opinion! :no:

I agree that it would be very risky to breed a little mini to a BIG stallion. Even at our farm we don't like it when there is more than a 2" difference let alone hands!! BUT in school we were learning about adaptation and we got to talking about cattle and horses and all the different animals and how the babies must adapt to their surroundings when in the mother. This means the baby will never grow bigger than what the womb can handle. That's just an interesting discussion that our class had. I would still definitely never breed a mini mare to a big horse stallion unless embryo transplanting into a larger mare was possible. Also, I definitely don't think a 16 h stallion could breed a 34" mini mare unless AI was used...or a very big hill!
default_unsure.png
:

I have always been told that too "a mare will only carry what she can accomodate" but what happens when this foal can no longer nurse on a small mare, because she is just too tall to reach under there?? I would never do it. I like my stallions to be smaller then my mares. Corinne

happens when this foal can no longer nurse on a small mare, because she is just too tall to reach under there??
Oh I didn't even think of that!! We used to have a little 30" mare that no matter what stallion she was bred to had HUGE babies. They were usually born about 23"-24" (she never had ANY problems foaling or else we wouldn't have bred her...she was was short but was a bigger mare) and they just grew and grew. 3 of them finally gave up trying to reach up under her and went in from behind!! :lol: It was quite funny to watch but she didn't mind and the babies were able to nurse! I don't know what would happen with the appy filly if she's as big as you say she is. I don't know...seems like wayyyy too much worry and work to me! I wouldn't even think about it!

I just dont buy the theory that the mare will only produce what her body can handle. I have had too many friends lose mares and foals because the foal was way too big for the mare to push out. With horses there normally isnt enough time to do a csection unless you live really close to a university that can do it.

:eek: i find it unbelievable that someone that claims to be a breeder, would put there horses life in jeopardy because they want to breed there mare, they mustn't think much of the mare to begin with :no: when i think back to the sadness that Ive came across here on the forum ,among top professional breeders,that have lost mares or foals,using the natural method of breeding two miniatures the SAME size it really astounds me the length people go to when THEY decide how they want to do it different, Ive heard cases of the vet coming to break up a foal inside the mare thats got stuck because it has became too big for the mares opening, what chance has a poor wee mare being purposely bred to a MUCH larger horse just BECAUSE :no: I'm sorry, I'm just baffled
default_wacko.png
: i understand if the height difference isn't that great, but i remember reading somewhere of a 14.2 being covered by a 31 inch stallion, surely that would splay his legs too much,and hurt his natural ability? jmo
default_smile.png

I went to look for the ad but didn't find it--did they remove it?? Darn, I wanted to see the picture.

It's not something I would do, but I've read where one of the universities did a study with small shetland mares being bred to draft stallions, and every one of the foals was born without a problem.

Just curious, I wonder how Tiny Tim did, years ago?

I agree with Kay Kay and Shane, I dont believe that a foal only grows to the size of the space!! As Kay kay said, look how many mares and foals are lost every year because a foal was too big, and that was using minis. I think any body breeding tiny mares to much bigger stallions or little stallions to bigger wider mares should be reported for cruelty and certainly shouldnt be calling themselves responsible horse owners. JMO

Latest posts

Back