Sad for us today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
l went to town early to do my shopping and had the weaners up in front of the barn with the old mare who was 26 that we used as a sitter and company. When l got home around 3 l noticed she was laying down under the overhang stretched out with the weaners near by so l just thought she was asleep and didn't bother just kept doing other stuff. When l went out to feed the stallions a while ago l have to go through the big door on that side of the barn where she was laying stretched out but she didn't move like she always does with the noise from the door. l went to see and she was stiff and very dead. She must have died shortly after l left this morning poor girl l'm glad l got to pet and talk to her before l did she didn't look or act any different. We knew she might not last to many more years she's been going down hill for the past 2 years and had been vet checked and her blood was tested for many things last spring she was okay nothing to treat her for. Just the same l have to wait now for my husband to come home so he can dig a hole and we can put her to bed for the last time. Breaks my heart l hope it was fast and no pain for her she was a good mare she'll be more then missed for sure. Sweet dreams baby.

Thanks guys for the thoughts l also wanted to add this was the first mare we ever bought she was 2 when she came here and she's now resting in her new home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry
cry.gif

Awww, I'm so sorry to read this.

I know how precious the old girls become, and we have one of our own. Still, she went on her own terms and it would appear that it was fairly peaceful for her.

Know that my thoughts are with you and I wish you peace in your grief.

Liz M.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

We lost a mare that I adored this August, so I know how very hard it is. Treasure your memories.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Nan

I'm sorry you lost the ol' girl. It does sound like she went peacefully, and surrounded by those she loved. You, patting and talking to her in the am and having the babies "standing by" as she made her final transition.

Heidi

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your loss bet your weaners are missing her.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I am so sorry for your loss...it does sound like she went peacefully and got to spend the remaining part of her life doing what she loved most - taking care of the babies.

Hugs,

Liz R.

Very sorry for your loss..she sounded like such a sweet mare and was very lucky to live with you.

Run with the wind old girl and rest well...Maxine

Sorry about your mare! I'll say a prayer for her amd you as well.

Fran

Relic said:
l went to town early to do my shopping and had the weaners up in front of the barn with the old mare who was 26 that we used as a sitter and company. When l got home around 3 l noticed she was laying down under the overhang stretched out with the weaners near by so l just thought she was asleep and didn't bother just kept doing other stuff. When l went out to feed the stallions a while ago l have to go through the big door on that side of the barn where she was laying stretched out but she didn't move like she always does with the noise from the door. l went to see and she was stiff and very dead. She must have died shortly after l left this morning poor girl l'm glad l got to pet and talk to her before l did she didn't look or act any different. We knew she might not last to many more years she's been going down hill for the past 2 years and had been vet checked and her blood was tested for many things last spring she was okay nothing to treat her for. Just the same l have to wait now for my husband to come home so he can dig a hole and we can put her to bed for the last time. Breaks my heart l hope it was fast and no pain for her she was a good mare she'll be more then missed for sure. Sweet dreams baby.
479592[/snapback]

My heart breaks for you! I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. Shelley

I'm so very sorry! She was a lucky girl to have you and your love. {{{{Hugs}}}}

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet old girl.
sad.gif
Does'nt make it any less painful whether they are old or young.

Oh I am so sorry. Hugs to you! But she passed away doing what she loved. She passed away with all the weanlings surrounding her with their youthfulness and she passed knowing she was not alone. She taught those weanlings how to go with dignity.

Many many hugs and bless you for making her aged years a delight to have experienced.

May your sweet mare rest in peace...... I understand how you are feeling as we said good bye to a special old soul yesterday.
sad.gif

MA

Sorry for your loss and remembering the good times with her will make the loss a little easier for you.

I have an older blind broodmare who is my babysitter and I dread the day we won't have any more. Each day I feel it is a blessing to be able to talk to her and brush her etc. She's a love just as your mare was to you. Don't be afraid to let the tears come, that will help too.

Hugs, Joyce

Latest posts

Back