Russett Harness'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw around peoples opinions for this. You don't see many russet harness' out there but is it frowned upon to use a russet or brown harness on a horse if you have a black cart?

The reason I ask is that my stallion being a classic pleasure/western pleasure horse I was thinking about getting him a western styled harness in the future and possibly getting a brown/russet one which would go with his color.

I don't know if it's frowned upon or not but I just wanted to mention that the most beautiful turnout I've ever seen was this weekend at a local draft horse show. It was a russet harness with a wood cart. The man driving had tan pants with a russet colored vest and hat, white shirt. The horse was a bay. Simply beautiful. It all looked so natural.

Ive seen russet colored harnesses in the classic/western pleasure. I don't think is frowned upon, just not what people are using. I'd say if it looks good with your horse go for it! You can always be a trend setter and I think it looks quite classy on the right horse
default_smile.png

In the 'wider' world of driving...i.e., ADS/FEI, around much of the world, it is considered incorrect to use russet harness with most vehicles having other than a natural wood finish(stained or varnished wood),with russet/brown 'appointments'..i.e.,shaft wraps and trace guides on shafts,hubcap color(if painted),other painted metals(bolt heads,etc.)IME, this tradition seems to often ignored/not known(even by the SOME judges, though some WILL know them) in mini breed shows, but you would likely be docked for ignoring or violating this if showing in Driving events run under ADS and similar rules, even if not 'officially' sanctioned by ADS and similar bodies...this would include 'official' CDEs, btw.

I LOVE good russet harness, myself...it is usually, in quality leather harnesses, made of 'better' leather, since it isn't really 'dyed' as is black leather harness, so flaws in the surface that would be hidden by black dyeing cannot be allowed. One reason driving reins(lines)are also supposed to be of russet('brown')is that the color won't come off onto your gloves/clothing as it would w/ dyed black reins/lines! My very first mini horse harness was an 'original' Smuckers' 'Lite', in russet. At the time I knew NOTHNG of the 'rules', just that I liked the russet. Of course, it was for my 'everyday driving', so didn't really matter. It is still the one I use for 'everyday' for my 34" driver after 30 years!

Most russet will have brass fittings, because it is 'warm' and more suitable to the 'warmth' of the russet color...though nowadays with most higher quality harnesses, you can order it w/ brass OR 'white metal' fittings...and of course, the metal fittings on the harness AND the vehicle should match, also! These 'turnout' traditions also include: driving gloves to always be brown,and your lap robe should best be a 'match' or blend quietly with, your seat upholstery color/tone. Takes some genuine planning and thought to put together a decent turnout!

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I dont think I will ever get into the CDE/ADS side of things, Im already engrossed in the mini shows as it is. My cart currently has brass fittings but is black with a gold stripe and I was thinking about getting the wheels gold or two toned black/gold to match. I was thinking of getting a naturally stained show cart down the road but I just purchased the black one just this year so thats why I asked about the russet with a black cart
default_smile.png

We have both black and russet harness. We show the black harness with our black carts and the russet harness goes with the wood carts.It never changes no matter what kind of show we go to. But then we kind of cling to tradition.

Latest posts

Back