Rose's first show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Hi, this is going to be the condensed version as I had a really nice typed up story that took me an hour to write but it got lost when I hit send button. So here goes again......

Got to Winona Friday to get set up for the show. The Parks, Larry and Lavonne trailered my mare up to the show with their horses and were helping me learn the ropes of showing a horse. Got all the horses settled and a chance to rest after a long trailer ride. Rose did great, took everything in stride and seemed really comfortable. Later bathed 2 horses for Saturday AMHA show and got them fed. Then we went and ate and checked into motels. Early morning on Sat. at 5 a.m and down to barn to feed by 6 and get horses ready for classes. Rose was up first......she looked great groomed up with Pepi. We did senior mares and much to my surprise we were the only entry in the class. I had a little bit of confussion on AMHA format but a judge guided me through. Was a little embarrassed as I had watched earlier classes but nerves kinda got to me. Format of AMHA is slightly different than AMHR. Rose did end up with 3 blue ribbons in the senior AMHA mare halter class.

Then on to color where she received 2- 3rd placings and a 4th in a rather large class. Felt like she earned the ribbons this time because there were quite a few horses in the class vs. the 1 entry earlier. We were done showing for the day.

Sunday, AMHR show had another early start but had more time before showing Rose. Helped Lavonne get Tex ready and started on Rose. Rose is easy as a brushing and Peppi with finishing touches of a tinge of black make up and baby oil gel. Her new jammies....slinky worked very nice keeping her clean that I got from Star Lake tack.

We were a bit nervous again, mostly me and sweating like a pig. :lol: Had model and amateur classes first and they seemed like huge entries in them. We didn't place, think Rose's buns of steel were not what they were looking for or it could be my antsy show dancing techinque. Who knew string bean buts were in this year? :lol: Rose must be using her thy master again because you could bounce a quarter off her quarter horse type buns.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Next was senior mares....3 entries and we placed 3rd.....I was so proud of Rose she showed so nice for me. Each class was a good experience for us to get the hang of things. I tell ya I was a show pimp.....I showed Rose like it was for a national title and worked it like you couldn't imagine
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Might have tried a little too hard but we tried. I also tried to smile while showing but someone described my face as a constipated smile with a wink. The wink was my eye stinging from sweat in my right eye. Suppose the judge thought I was strange with my eye blinking..... my body all but doing the chicken dance and Rose just in awe of everything!

Color class was last class but fun as it was big.......we got (2) -3rd placings and a 4th. Was happy to get a ribbon at all....lots of tough competition.

Beautiful facilities at the Equestrian Facility.....great people too and awesome horses!

I'd like to thank Larry and Lavonne Parks of Timberview Appys for helping me get Rose to her first show and teaching me all the aspects of showing.They even loaned me a show halter to put on Rose.
default_smile.png
They are wonderful friends and so much fun to be around! Thanks to my mom for all her support at the show and all the new friends I met who encouraged me and complimented Rose. If it weren't for the Parks I could never have done it.....
default_smile.png
But here I am looking forward to the Iowa State Fair mini show in August! :aktion033:

Met so many nice fun people, from the forum..... Ashley, Donna of Qtrrae mini's, Marnie, Karen of Runaway Ranch, another gal with them who I forgot her name...sorry, Carrie of cherokee minis who gave me alot of show tips and helped me, Jodie French the show photographer, ck minis, bluebell and her husband, Sanny and her family, Shelby- connie Larson who were stalled near me, Cathy Reu also stalled on my isle, Toys Miniatures across the isle from me, and Eleanor Mondale. Eleanor is former vice president Walter Mondales daughter.

Met Mr. /Mrs. Tibbs and their horses, Renee Bush briefly between classes, tried to trade a pizza for a horse with Michelle Prekker :lol: it didn't work. So many more I'm probably forgetting....it is late and my brain is tired. Oh....met Maryann Bartkewich of JEM Mini's and also a gal who helps Jodie photography....Charlynn I think. Didn't get to meet JeanB as she was super busy both days and nights but watched her announce and heard her call my name with placings in class. Was neat to hear her read my horses name over the speaker.

Will always remember her announcement that it's raining.....better go roll your windows down. Humor is a good thing at a show! After a long day even Jean had to laugh at that one.

Even managed to do some shopping in the tack store.....hence the beginning of my black show hat.
default_wink.png
:

So many other neat little stories I could share. You have never ever seen a man run as fast as Sanny's husband Bob does in obsticale courses. Yowsers, he can book through a course fast! I was sweating just watching him run!

Also it may be a bad start to a class when you hear the judge say, I don't believe this one has ever done AMHA shows before :lol: She was right but we made it through!
default_yes.gif
:

Truly had a blast at the shows! I encourage anyone thinking of showing to give it a try......it's the memories you''ll make and people you meet that you will never forget. Go have fun and enjoy your horse! I thought of you all at lil beginnings forum so much....all that I have learned from reading the forum and friends who encouraged me.

Thanks also to the MN Club for putting a great show. I will always remember this first ever show for Rose and I'm greatful for all the support and friendship given. Signing off from hot 90+ temps Iowa......the one and only Cowboy Russ in the BIG black hat :saludando:

P.S. some may have pics to post of us.....remember I am NON photogenic so don't laugh :lol:

I loved it!

Felt like I was there!!! (sans the sweat and heat)

Congratulations on a great show, sounds like you had a good time and did your best! Now you know where you're headed next time. I always leave every show with more focus and determination, no matter what I go home with for placings.

default_smile.png

(PS-the shows out here in the NW are rarely that hot or humid...matter of fact in April and May and often June, we end up a bit on the cool side....)

I had my camera there and was so going to take pics of you but I spent most of the time with Boo and in his stall so I didnt see much of the show.

However Russ, you forgot to tell them you pee'd your pants :bgrin :new_shocked: Sorry I couldnt resist. HOpe to see you in the future at the Lake Elmo Shows.

Russ --

Oh I love this post!!!!

It sounds like you had a great time and have every reason to be proud of Rose!!!

I'm jealous too! You got to meet a lot of people I'd love to meet in person one of these days!

Also, jealous you get to live in Iowa... Ever since going there on business the first time, I really think of Iowa A LOT!

Looking very forward to the pictures of you and your girl
default_yes.gif
:

Jill

I loved hearing about your show Russ! You and Rose did great! I hope you post photos
default_yes.gif
:

I'm proud of you for getting out there and doing a great job! :aktion033:

Here is the only pic I got. It's not too good but the arena is so big that my little cameras flash wouldn't get that far. Rose and Russ both did a great job together. Rose looks like a Quarter horse in miniature. It was great getting to meet some of our forum folks also at the show.

russ.jpg

You did great Russ. Was nice meeting you again and the Park's were fun to visit with also. Glad you got your computer fixed after that lightening strike.

great job Russ!!! wish i had been there. Ive always said its the fun of seeing everyone and learning new stuff that makes me head back to that hot sweaty show ring lol

Congratulations on your placings!

You both look great too.

Loved the way you told it also, had me laughing at the part about the wink and the sweat in your eye-can almost see it now. :bgrin Glad you had a great time and I look forward to reading about your next show.

Russ, you have painted a vivid picture of your first show. Actually.........it's every show! You never get over how nice miniature people can be, always willing to help, and fun to be around.

And if you didn't approach this whole concept with humor...........you'd never want to show again. :bgrin

P.S. You should submit your essay to the "Short Snorts" newsletter!

P.S. Congratulations on your placings, you and your horse look great!

You tell a heck of a story, thanks so much for sharing, I loved it!

Wonderful story Russ :aktion033: You certainly have every right to be proud of your Rose....you both did a wonderful job...and you both looked very finished and sharp
default_yes.gif
: I have to laugh about the chicken dance part .....I will say you were kinda have'n your own Hoe-Down out there......but that was soon fixed as you are a very good student
default_wink.png
: Alll kidding aside I do beleive we haven't seen the last of you and that you will become someone who is taken very seriously in the show ring :aktion033: So keep up the good work you have wonderful teachers in Larry and Lavonne...........and we'll all stay tuned for more adventures....in the "Russ and Rose Show"............................Carrie

Wow, Russ, you told that story so well, I was sweating along with you! lol!
default_wink.png
:

I love your Rose-- and yes I see the family resemblance to my AMayZing. I bet you and Rose will do better and better in the show ring in the future! Good luck!!

Oh, and does anyone else have any more pictures of this show? Sounds like everyone had a great time, heat wave or not.
default_smile.png

What a wonderful story! Sure makes me miss showing though. And I'm a HUGE fan of applebutts, so your Rose is awesome by my standards. Congratulations on all your placings--and more importantly on having such a good time!

Russ, it was great to see you at the Winona Show!! What a great person!!

Russ met Marnie(Sunset Ridge Miniatures) Lisa (Runaway Ranch) Karen( she is working on a website) and me (QtrRae Mystic Minis) at the door. He showed us around and introduced us to several people. None of us had ever been there before so it was so nice to have the expertise of Russ to make us feel at home.

We certainly enjoyed his Mom who is so proud of Russ and little Rose!!

His Rose is gorgeous, I "tried" to get pictures but it was hard because we were so far away - this is the best that I have!

Russ in the ring getting that sweet little Rose to set up:

P1010005.jpg

Russ and Rose getting ready for one of their classes: You can just see how much he loves his little Rose!

P1010016.jpg

I also tried to get a picture of Ashley and her gorgeous Boo! This was the best I could get:

P1010001.jpg

Sorry they are so dark and so far away - looks like I need to get a better camera.

Those are better pictures than I got, mine were all way to dark. I have one of LaVonne, Ashley and Russ in the ring but just toooo dark. But it was a fun day, my first actual show that I'd ever been to and I enjoyed it alot. Russ IS a great person too and his mom is Awesome!!

Good thing I escaped haveing to be shown on the forum. I typically run from the camera so it was a good thing they are all to dark of me............Darn!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks Larry and Donna for posting the pics.
default_smile.png
I thought Rose looks pretty good, especially her color. She has the dark points and a line down her back(you can't see in pics).....dun characteristics.

Marnie the ring was pretty dark.....it hid my puddles of sweat.....ha ha :lol:

Ashley......shhhhh...... :lol: that was was supposed to be our secret. In all truthfulness, I was washing Rose before we loaded up to head home. I turned on the hose, where the sprayer wand and hose connected it leaked......water hit me right in the lower regions
default_rolleyes.gif
: Rose probably thought it was funny and am sure she was humming "get back into life with Depends" .

Ashley just happened to be in the next stall washing a horse.....having a good laugh. So luckily I could pull my shirt out and shirt tails covered up what looked like what it REALLY wasn't :lol:

My walk of shame back to the stalls.....who should I run into but Bob Sansevere....don't think he noticed but I broke into a steady trot and said.....have a safe trip home Bob.....and kept right on moving.
default_yes.gif
:

Have to tell ya, I was so in the showing ZONE. One judge said, I'm right behind you and coming through. I did know she was there but think I must have scared her with my strike a pose stuff :lol:

Looking at the pics of myself I have to laugh.....man.....just call me GUMBY! :lol:

Another funny to share, Eleanor Mondale is a hoot. She had a helper there Joey and I kid you not it was like watching a skit from Wil and Grace t.v. show. They were funny!

Ashley is a great helper too and some of you may not know.....you should her seen her pitch in and wash horses for the Tibbs family and Renee. She really loves miniatures and is a great person that works hard!

Expect to hear more from her and Boo in coming shows.
default_yes.gif
:

Carrie, thanks for all your help. Your suggestions worked and I appreciate everything! Carrie knows how to show a horse quite well......any pics of Carrie and Pretty?

When Donna, Marnie, Karen and Lisa were getting out of their vehicle.....I just happened to be getting something out of the van. I just new they were LB forum people
default_yes.gif
: I said, you must be from the forum they smiled. So great to meet them in the parking lot.

I think we can all encourage Donna to try showing and get Marnie to help? What do you say?

Donna the one pic of Rose showing is right where I was trying to get her head up and out. Thanks for capturing that shot! Long time ago I asked Erica on the forum how I should show Rose.....she said, get that head up and neck out. She does look nice in that pose. :bgrin I love her no matter what ribbon. I made a promise to the people I bought her from and myself that showing was something I wanted to try.

Took awhile but we finally did it with a great bunch of friends helping me.
default_yes.gif
: What really pushed me to full fill my dream was the death of Marty's son.....after reading the news I kept thinking...... I sit and sit and tell my self tomorrow I will try this and that but I needed a push to take life seriously. Marty in a way, your Micheal helped me gain the courage to try something new and quit being a weanie
default_wink.png
: .......so I hope you realize how much good Micheal is still doing for people back here on earth.
default_smile.png

Thanks again for letting me share with ALL my forum friends. Magic, it is so neat to know Rose has a famous aunt Mayzing :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ you did a great job sharing your first show experience. I'm always so busy either actually being in the show ring myself showing or getting all the horses, kids (and husband) ready that I never have as much time to socialize as I would like. I didn't even realize so many forum members were there. If I didn't talk or didn't say hello to someone that knew me, I'm so sorry. We had a wonderful time too - great facilities, good judges, big classes......it really felt like being at a nationals caliber show. It was one of the best shows I've personally had all year and I need to double check points but I think I got my Hall of Fame in Country Pleasure with one of our horses and in Roadster with another.

You were so cute all weekend (you look great in a hat ("Cowboy Russ")and your mom is soooo sweet and absolutely beautiful - literally - I'm still trying to figure out how she made it through every day looking so fresh and clean and pretty and accessorized and perfect hair and make up as the rest of us got sweatier and smellier and rumpled and messy in general. I think she got some pics of my kids showing - let me know if any turned out.

Rose is just adorable and the two of you made a great team. She has such a great body and personality for performance and such a nice trot I think the two of you seriously need to get busy and start driving and jumping. Those "applebutts" are terrific in driving and jumping. Her coloring is gorgeous too - kind of a golden bronze.

Don't worry, Bob didn't notice you'd "peed" your pants at the show, if he had.....trust me........he'd have said something to you right then. He isn't one to hold back.

Typical of Ashley, hiding in the stalls or trying to be invisible in general. She is always a huge help to me too, she is just so quiet about it all that no one even realizes it. She was pitching in and helping out several people at different times. Her horse Boo is super cool and he was unbelieveable in Liberty. Great big high stepping trot, tail flagging in the air and Ashley picked the perfect music - unusual instrumental Native American music. I went in as her helper though she didn't really need one. He was a natural. And yes.....he won......and it was a big class.

Its ok Russ. We all know that sometimes we get so nervous you just cant hold it. :new_shocked:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

That said I do love to help and would rather help then show I think. I really enjoyed going to a show with out bring horses and just helping out for a change. I did love a few of Tibbs horses and had I had a trailer they might have disapeared into it.

Latest posts

Back