Ridges - ITS PINK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I teach mine about yielding to pressure. After that is established leading and tying tend to follow on pretty easily as they have already worked that giving to the pressure results in no more pressure.

I start around weaning time, they get used to the feel of the halter and turning their heads when the halter asks them. Then they learn to take steps as well as turning, they learn to do it forwards, backwards and sideways. Most of the time when I tie for the first time they test the lead, feel the pressure... and turn back and ignore it
default_new_rofl.gif

Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll leave it another month then.

Got some more photos for you, altho terrible off my phone. We've finally had some rain, I think the first time Likki has seen it and she looked so cute with all her fluff flattened down. Before you all panic, the white collar is stretchy and would come off in a second if she got it caught on something. It also sits quite loosely, not tight like it looks. Its for paralysis ticks and this last week I haven't found any so it must be working!
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Hayley she is gorgeous!!
default_wub.png
They must have found that rain a great relief from all the hot weather you have been having!

Regarding tying, we are similar to Bree (when we eventually get round to tackling the problem!), once the weanlings are used to being lead, moved, and halter pressure, they seem to take tying up as normal, but we always stay close by or actually 'work' with them (grooming/feet etc) for quite a while before trusting them to stay happily tied for any length of time.

As to clipping, well we never have it hot enough here, so it is mostly those that might go showing that get introduced to the clippers, which makes them well into their yearling year for us. But we have never had a problem, just run the clippers against them to start with to get them used to the vibration, then a rough quick clip all over starting near their shoulders where they love 'scratches'. We dont usually do heads on the first clip, just trim under the jaw and up the cheeks. We usually have more of a reaction when clipping their cannon bones as there is no flesh there to cushion the vibration of the clippers! Just go slow, take plenty of time and remember to keep testing the clippers every few minutes against your own skin - they can suddenly get very hot once they have been working for a while, not nice for baby's comfort!

I totally agree! She is just beautiful!!!

Okay ladies.....so I forgot about writing about the leading and 'pressure' training.....but I do that as well. I think it's so important for them to learn, as there is nothing nicer than a horse or foal that is trained and happy to be with you!

As to clipping, here it can get over a hundred degrees in the summer -- when the babies are quite young -- so it's important to take that fluffy foal coat off so that they are more comfortable. I have always found clipping the babies so much more pleasant for them than watching them rub their coats off. Sometimes when rubbing they can actually hurt themselves, so once they are clipped they are just more comfortable and safe!

With the older horses, I just 'installed' some fence posts and a cross bar or two down at 'butt' height, so they can safely rub their winter coats off without damaging themselves on fence lines, etc. Also, it saves the fences from all that butt rubbing! LOL

Last edited:
default_sad.png
Sweety wont share her hay pile anymore. Little Liquorice is so obedient and doesn't challenge her so get their pile split up in about 5 places now.

LOL!! I have a couple of mares who refuse to share with their children too!

Problem solved. How about a new picture of our gorgous Liquorice! (and the bad mommy.....)

Forgot my camera again! So terrible pics on my phone again, but you get an idea of what she's up to.

How do I break it gently to her that she's not an Arab?
default_new_rofl.gif

IMG_20131123_105252.jpgIMG_20131123_105259.jpgIMG_20131123_105304.jpgIMG_20131123_105307.jpgIMG_20131123_105335.jpgIMG_20131123_105345.jpgIMG_20131123_105408.jpgIMG_20131123_105430.jpgIMG_20131123_105237.jpgIMG_20131123_105241.jpgIMG_20131123_105628.jpgIMG_20131123_105823.jpgIMG_20131123_105908.jpg

Not only is she absolutely the cutest, she is also very beautiful! Thanks for the updated pics.
default_yes.gif

Just wonderful!!!!! Such a cutie! Isn't it such fun to watch her in the pasture? I just love watching them learn about their world!

Momma did good on this little one? So, are we breeding mom again?

Last edited:
Well......

I'm going to say no for now, as tempted as I am. This is my first baby so I want to go through ALL the fazes of her growing up before I put another one in the paddock, just to make sure I'm capable lol. Maybe 2015 I might let Sweety visit Wazza again. Maybe. Or I might wait till Liquorice is old enough to breed and if her conformation is great I'll use her. Altho it would be another maiden ride wouldn't it! Don't I sound undecided! I could always just buy a weanling but I know these girls both have great temperaments which is a bonus.

I forgot to add in my last post - I found a few random white hairs on Liquorice's bottom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this colour change.

Wazza last october 2012 clipped. This november 2013 clipped

/monthly_10_2012/post-44615-0-83913600-1350606109_thumb.jpg
1456745_10201949221205005_344004768_n.jpg

What appy gene does that? Is it the varnish? Probably what Likki will do since I've found some little white hairs. Isn't he just the cutest?

Looks like he's varnishing with those dark knees and parts of his face. Do you have a face shot? Sometimes the varnishing almost leaves a "V" shape on their face -- a dead giveaway.

He sure is a handsome boy!

Oh Hayley he looks fabulous!! So glad you are keeping in touch with him and his new owners - he looks very happy too!
default_thumbup.gif

Would you be able to use him again if you wanted, to breed another Likki??

Yup, I would expect his face to continue to varnish a bit more, and what should be left is a dark "v" on his face. Not all get it, but most of mine when they varnished had that telltale "V" shape left in their base color, with the dark knees. Just beautiful!

Yes, his new owner said I can use him any time I wanted. She probably felt sorry for me coz I was a blubbering mess when she came to pick him up lol.

Latest posts

Back