RFD Program on Miniature Farm in Illinois

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
I just happen to be watching RFD when Heartland Highways came on describing people in Atwood Illinois who had been breeding and raising *small ponies* (why can't they get it right) and mini donkeys for over 25 years. They seemed like nice people but it bothered me when I saw at least three dwarf minis. One the program made a point of calling the smallest horse in the world, and the breeder referred to him as a midget horse. He explained how people come from all over to see this little horse. He did acknowledge that the ones that small always *seemed* to have problems with crooked legs and acted as tho it is common. Now I understand why some of you get so upset by these shows that do not educate people properly on minis and promote the wrong information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, there is an older couple in my general area also breeding minis.

They managed to get on the local television station with their "smallest horse" a 2 year old dwarf.

They had rebred the mare and stallion twice more and had two more dwarves from the pair.

They said their vet said it was fine to breed them..............

Drove me out of my mind but what can you do.

It was presented as such a "cute and good thing".

I did contact the tv station and was told basically the story was about the smallest horse in the area and dwarf or not they didn't care.

Weren't interested in stories on taller horses, just the "smallest".

So plenty of the wrong information out there.

Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that show last night as well. I am glad I am not the only one that was upset by it. I counted at least three dwarfs, and at least one of those being a new foal
default_sad.png
Years ago I bought a filly from a "reputable" breeder by pictures only (before internet). When she was delivered to the farm it was apparent that she was a severe dwarf. As sweet and lovable as she was, as she got older she developed such major health issues......so sad to see that people are still breeding this for the sake of attention.

I to have seen this episode, however it was before i really got into the miniature breed, so I did see one dwarf but did not see any others. Aswell, it saddened me that they referred to the dwarfs as midget horses.

Dan

Maybe it's better that the program identified the horses as "smallest ponies" instead of miniature horses. Sometimes it's what's not said that makes all the difference in the world ....
default_rolleyes.gif

Mike

I just happen to be watching RFD when Heartland Highways came on describing people in Atwood Illinois who had been breeding and raising *small ponies* (why can't they get it right) and mini donkeys for over 25 years. They seemed like nice people but it bothered me when I saw at least three dwarf minis. One the program made a point of calling the smallest horse in the world, and the breeder referred to him as a midget horse. He explained how people come from all over to see this little horse. He did acknowledge that the ones that small always *seemed* to have problems with crooked legs and acted as tho it is common. Now I understand why some of you get so upset by these shows that do not educate people properly on minis and promote the wrong information.
s
I was watching the "Maury Show" at Christmas when he had a lot of interesting zoo animals on. In the course of the show they literally carried out a mini. I am fairly certain that it was a dwarf. The poor little thing was in poor, hairy condition and it never walked. They carried it back off of the stage after they were going on and on about how tiny it was and that it was a real horse. They stated that miniature horses were a very popular commodity.

It really made me angry to see this poor little animal and to hear them go on about mini horses. The least they could have done was presented a good quality, groomed horse so the public would know what they are supposed to look like.

default_sad.png
I've been to the farm in question, we live about 50 miles from there. I agree, it's a shame when that "TYPE" mini or farm gets the publicity. There are so many folks out there viewing it that have no idea of correct conformation, balance, breed standard, etc., and sooooooo many dewy-eyed novices that are all hung up on "cute", we aren't ever going to be able to completely correct the issue. The truly embarassing issue, to me at least, is all the other horse-savy people that are involved with other breeds but haven't had much exposure to miniatures and sadly take that to be a true representation of our beautiful little breed. The only way we can hope to over-ride (pardon the pun) their impressions is to take our good little horses out in public. Go to parades, take them to open houses, volunteer to let the pre-schools, nursing homes, elementary school field trips, etc., come to your farm or take the horses to them, just in general get them out where they are seen by the general public. Horse shows are great, but they only show to other miniature horse people (and they already know how wonderful the minis are.)

I just happen to be watching RFD when Heartland Highways came on describing people in Atwood Illinois who had been breeding and raising *small ponies* (why can't they get it right)
Not to be a stickler, but technically, miniature horses ARE small ponies.
default_smile.png
The definition of a pony is anything under 14HH, and minis are around 8HH or less. That classifies as "small ponies" to me. It also doesn't bother me one bit when people call them what they do, whether it's "minis" or "miniatures" or "mini horses" or "mini ponies" or just "ponies." I grew up with My Little Pony, so miniature horses are my fantasy come true
default_smile.png
REAL My little Ponys? No way! ... ... ... Way!

Of course, I also find it disturbing that so much press is focused on the dwarfs. But the press is never interested in a breed standard. They're looking at it from a species perspective. From Gypsy Horse to Arabian to Shetland, size varies greatly. But the tallest and smallest will always get recognition, regardless of their breed or genetic condition. The same goes with people. Most little people and giants are the way they are because of a genetic disorder. Something wasn't normal. We can look on the bright side of this kind of exposure, however. It does introduce people to the miniature horse breed. But it WOULD be nice if the press at least mentioned that the small size was due to a genetic disorder and was not considered "healthy" by any means. Maybe we can step it up a notch to market that message?
default_smile.png

Brenda

Latest posts

Back