Dwarfism in Miniature Horses, Information, Education, Advice "help"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihri

Reaction score
I am a small breeder of miniature horses and have a specific goal in mind. To breed quality miniature horses of dilute pinto coloring that can perform (for our young riders and driving). heights are between 30-34 inches of my breeding stock. I previously bred Arabians and do consider myself as a knowledgeable and responsible breeder. Prior to breeding/purchasing a horse for my program which is young and I am still considering breeding stock, I put the horse through a series of evaluations first I research the pedigree and bloodlines which has been quite challaging due to all the unknowns. when I visit the horse I look at the confirmation (horse must be standing square and not stretched), measured, bite checked, health of hooves,and overall general health. Then I have the horse do a series of movements to judge traction, gaits, and action. Next is disposition definately has to be good. All my minis have passed this assesment. The horse in question I purchased early spring of 2010 and from internet research his bloodlines have according to the general census has produced a dwarf. This does concern me greatly and I have searched for everthing I can find about dwarfism. Including the 2007 thread with John ( Dwarfism in miniatures) in this forum. I do have some knowledge about genectics but I am not an expert. I am currently trying to decide where do I go from here. I've invested a lot into my small herd and can not "start over" although I may (undecided ) add a couple of quality individuals, I will probably never breed a 100 horses in my lifetime. Now according to my searching 25% of the foals from 2 carriers are normal without the dwarfism gene/disease my horse is not a dwarf and niether is the foal. The pictures I've seen of dwarfs and thier parents to me have poor conformation who I would not include in my breeding program. But I cannot say that I have seen many dwarf miniatures. I am unsure if there is a direct connection betwwen conformation and dwarfism. I also don't know if there have been any recent advancements in the research on dwarfisnm in miniatures. Finally is there a way aside from aquiring a confirmed dwarf producer and breeding this cross multiple times (I do not really want to do this) is there any way I can find out if my horse is a carrier or if I am lucky enough to have one of the 25% normal. If there is genectic testing I WILL HAVE IT DONE. Please be kindin your advise and responses as this is very upsetting for me.

No, there is not a test at this time. All you can do is breed the best you can, and if you do get a dwarf, cull the parents and offspring from your program.

Don't be nervous or upset... Just understand it is part of the "breed" and move forward.

Good luck to you,

Andrea

There is not a test on dwarfism, and while there are many horses with bad conformation and many that may carry a dwarf gene, bad conformation does not automatically equal a dwarf carrier (regardless, it is not something I would have cared to breed when in was breeding). The same goes for nice horses with show titles or some of the greats that have passed on, just because they are well conformed and have show wins under gem, does not mean they do not carry the gene. Research research research and ask for tons of feedback, or for people to pm you if need be. There are certain things that are not tolerated on this forum and will cause a topic to be closed or removed, among them......posting photos of horses that one does not own, rude heated topics with snyde name calling, and publicly speaking of others horses and insinuating they are dwarves. Nothing insinuated at all by this remark, just giving you a heads up that certain topics are taken to heart here, and private conversations are usually best for those that may lead to heated finger pointing.

The best advice I can give, never chance breeding a horse that has produced known dwarf offspring. Other than that, if there is a

horse you own or one you are interested in, I would ask forum members to pm you if they own or have owned offspring by the horse and to share photos.

As you may find, the subject of dwarfism can get very sensitive. As another person coming from big horses, this was all new to me too. Back when John Eberth was answering the questions for the Dwarfism Forum I ran a poll on here to ask how many forum members who bred more than about 5 minis (I don't remember the exact question but a search might bring it up) had had a dwarf foal or fetus produced on their farm. There were well over 100 responses and the percentage was 42%. This gives you some idea of how common the problem is and why it is so sensitive. Until there is a test for the dwarf genes, I think the best anyone can do is what you are doing - lots of research, ask questions, and recognize that no matter how careful you are, you might still be breeding a carrier. My understanding is that being a World or National Champion is no guarantee that there are no dwarf genes present. But if you read what John wrote, your best bet is still to start with horses with the best conformation you can find.

Wanted to add that I am one in favor of having the test and using the testing responsibly. As another breeder of pintos, I am familiar with the frame or lethal white gene; if two frame overos are bred they have a 25% chance of producing a lethal foal. To avoid a lethal white foal, all you do is TEST and not breed 2 carriers together. If the dwarf gene is treated like the frame gene when the test is developed, I see that as a way to eliminate dwarfism without culling all carriers. I think one of the issues with the test is that breeders who know they have carriers are concerned that those horses will have a black mark on their papers, which I think is unnecessary. I see the opposite happening - that those that can prove their stallion is NOT a dwarf carrier will see their value skyrocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add PMs are welcome I am looking to learn and I ask many questions. This horse has not had any foals until me (foal is not a dwarf)so I can only look to the bloodlines for possible answers of course if a dwarf is produced I will not continue with that breeding.

There is always a chance of producing dwarfs. When my daughter first started breeding she was attracted to the tiny ones,( though not dwarf)s, one of her mares, from a very well known stallion, produced a dwarf with her first foal. She was never bred again. My lines were quite different from my daughters as I liked them 31" or more. In 14 years of breeding, I have never had a dwarf (not to say that I will never have one, and I hope I have not just jinxed myself), but I would have to guess by this time that I do not have too many, or any carriers. All you can do is breed the best you can with conformation being very important, and hope that you do not get a dwarf. If you do, then I would not breed them again.

Back