Rescue . . . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboygirl45

Reaction score
First of all I am not familiar with miniature horses (lots of big horse knowledge though) and secondly, I'm going to "try" to make this short. We live in an area that the lack of economy is hitting HARD! So far this year, I have had 7 horses given to me, which brings me to my topic. I received a phone call yesterday that some people down the road had a little red and white paint stud, who was in desperate need of a home. I show up and he is living in approximately a 10'x10' slabbed together mess, caked with manure, his halter is cutting into his cheek and nose, and his water is frozen SOLID
default_new_shocked.gif
. It is only my personal opionion, take it with a grain of salt if you don't agree, but some people should not own animals or have children.

Upon letting him out of the pen, I notice that as he walks, his stifles are locking, so that every once in a while he almost literally is dragging his hind feet. His left hind foot is kind of rolled over at the fetlock (not too extreme), and his hoof grows funny. His knees seem to be very enlarged, and he's "broke over" at the knee. His ears are tiny (even for a mini) and his nose is very flat and small as well. Are these classic signs of dwarfism??? What can be done about his stifles? Will I be able to rehabilitate him for a "pasture pet"? I'm sure it will be costly, but will it be worth it
default_sad.png
?

Thank you so much in advance for your time in reading and/or responding. Any information you have would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Amber

QUICK NOTE: He is scheduled to go to the vet tomorrow, and has an apointment for Friday to be gelded. I just pray these people haven't covered any mares with him!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have enough experience to be qualified to answer your questions, just wanted to say Thank You for helping this little fella out of that heck he was living in.

Thank you for rescuing this little fella!

I hope his problems are just temporary from being stalled so long. I am assuming his weight and all is okay? The Vet will examine him I'm sure and let you know. I am just thinking if his health is not good yet, you may want to wait to geld him until he feels better. In many places in US it is especially cold now too - maybe too cold to geld?

Post photos when you have time - good luck with him.

Beth

default_no.gif
Sounds like he definitely has dwarf characteristics. Poor guy. As for the locking stifles. Surgery can correct it. Also, being out and moving (not stalled) can help a lot (depending on age and severity). Your vet, I'm sure, will know what to advise.

Good for you for gelding him, BTW. Sounds like he's in GREAT hands
default_smile.png

Good luck to you and your new boy
default_smile.png
He is very lucky. I am sure your vet can answer alot of your questions.

need photos or video for everyone to help a little more, but a vet sounds like the best thing at the moment. A $100 up front could save you a lot more in the end. Most of us on the forum are not vets, but might have some helpfuls guesses.

IMO you should investigate the leg issue before investing in gelding. I rescued a stallion last summer and noticed he was walkiing on tiptoe on the back. I took him to the university vet for xray and it revealed he had severely contracted tendons. He was too old---9--for corrective surgery and I had him put down. He was in chronic pain. The rolling over of the fetlock sounds ominous. A good hoof trimmer might also be able to tell you what's going on.

Whatever happens, at least you have given him an opportunitiy for a better life than he's had so far.

Oh boy, what a response
default_saludando.gif
! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME, CONCERN, AND WELL WISHES. WE'RE GOING TO NEED IT!

First of all, I have NOOOO idea how old this little guy is, and he's not been handled enough for me to get in his mouth yet. Vet should be able to get some idea tomorrow. I'm very concerned about his stifles and fetlock as well, and the exam tomorrow is to determine "how" much it will take to get him the best quality of life we can. If the exam goes well, then we'll discuss gelding on Friday. His body condition is okay, and there are no signs of any respiratory or other illness. So, if I get a good report from the vet, we'll go ahead with gelding. It's cold right now, but I don't think too cold; it's been around 35 to 40 degrees, and I certainly don't want to wait until fly season. My other issue is the hoof; we don't have a decent farrier around, and I'm pretty sure he'll take pretty regular care to get that hoof to some simblance of normalcy. I have my quarter horses done out of town (90 miles, we're in the middle of NO WHERE!
default_laugh.png
), but that's every 6 to 7 weeks; maybe that would be often enough for him. We'll just have to see.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!! I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT AND ANY MORE INFO YOU FEEL LIKE PUTING ON THE TABLE!

Amber

Oh, Amber - how sad - poor little fellow. Thank goodness you have come to help him, it sounds like he has a lot of issues - It is good that you are having your vet check him over.

I soooo agree with you - some people should not own animals or have children.

Hopefully your vet will be able to help - it has to feel good to him to have a decent, clean place with water that isn't frozen and to know that he has someone who cares.

My heart hurts so much for these precious animals that are being either terribly neglected or abused.

What a lucky little guy to have you now.
default_wub.png

That does "sound" like dwarfism, but it's hard to say without photos.

Let us know what the vet says!
default_yes.gif

You have a good heart. Thanks for rescuing this poor little guy. Hopefully with a little more room and good farrier care he will have a chance at some quality of life. I agree, there are sooooooooo many people that should never own animals in this world.

I want to see him! Im excited he has a new shot at life! Good for you!
default_saludando.gif

I want to ay its wonderful that you are helping this little guy out, and a big thank you for stepping up to the plate...Now for the harsh part. How is his quality of life? If you choose to geld him and fix him up , do you have a forever home for him? How is his temperment ? Is it worth keeping him alive , yes harsh, I know , but if the stiffles are locking , it can be painful , and you have to ask yourself ..is it fair to keep him going if he will live in cronic pain or discomfort , and possible later be in the wrong hands AGAIN, where owners dont monitor his pain. A horse like this is definatly worth holding on to and spending the money , if you have the money, if his temperment is great, if you have the time to help him heal and build the trust propably lost by now , and if you can be sure that he wont be rescued then later given away to someone that wont take care of his medical issues. I have delt with horses confined and as a result leg issues, if they are young they have a chance if its minor , the longer confined , the older the horse , the more likely the issue wont be resolved with just space and movement. Its not horrible to love him , make him comfortable, assess his medical needs , and let him quietly and peacefully go if the medical problems are too advanced. as hard as that may seem, sometimes horses come into our lives for a reason , sometimes its not to be saved but to be let go in a humaine way. that being said , i also love the reward and satifaction of saving the life of a horse , done it many times , and I dont regret any of the money spent , time given , and tears shed while helping in recovery. you can ask your vet what he recommends, and please give us updates. I think a lot of people on the forum , especially me love to hear success stories like this one.

I want to ay its wonderful that you are helping this little guy out, and a big thank you for stepping up to the plate...Now for the harsh part. How is his quality of life? If you choose to geld him and fix him up , do you have a forever home for him? How is his temperment ? Is it worth keeping him alive , yes harsh, I know , but if the stiffles are locking , it can be painful , and you have to ask yourself ..is it fair to keep him going if he will live in cronic pain or discomfort , and possible later be in the wrong hands AGAIN, where owners dont monitor his pain. A horse like this is definatly worth holding on to and spending the money , if you have the money, if his temperment is great, if you have the time to help him heal and build the trust propably lost by now , and if you can be sure that he wont be rescued then later given away to someone that wont take care of his medical issues. I have delt with horses confined and as a result leg issues, if they are young they have a chance if its minor , the longer confined , the older the horse , the more likely the issue wont be resolved with just space and movement. Its not horrible to love him , make him comfortable, assess his medical needs , and let him quietly and peacefully go if the medical problems are too advanced. as hard as that may seem, sometimes horses come into our lives for a reason , sometimes its not to be saved but to be let go in a humaine way. that being said , i also love the reward and satifaction of saving the life of a horse , done it many times , and I dont regret any of the money spent , time given , and tears shed while helping in recovery. you can ask your vet what he recommends, and please give us updates. I think a lot of people on the forum , especially me love to hear success stories like this one.
Hi Krissy! Thank you for your post! Well, of course there's always the hard part . . . never fun, but part of life, and unfortunately I feel that unrealistic expectations can be one of the key elements that put some of these horses in a neglected and/or abused situation. People don't reallize that they can't just go out and buy or acquire a mini (or any other horse) and immediately have it be what they had drempt about(or only in rare cases). They take the animal home and maybe it has a behavioral issue, health issues, it's too much of a financial burden etc. etc., and all of the sudden the animal isn't as fun any more, and that's where the trouble starts. As I mentioned in my original post, we're in an area that is struggling to survive during this economic down turn and as of now I have had 7 horses "given" to me since January of last year. I have found good homes for all of them but one, and he's the first one I took in. Bottom line, I'm probably going to have to put him down. He's a huge, beautiful Hancock bred, blue roan quarter horse gelding with a mean streak as long and deep as the river I live on. I have enough logic mixed in with the heart to know when I "can" and when I "can't" (and can't is a word I despise!). Considering I have an amazing husband, two great little boys, a herd of horses who need me, and a ranch to help run, I CANNOT AFFORD TO GET HURT. And, hurt is the only place the roan will get me
default_no.gif
. . . (unfortunately, due to someone abusing him he has chosen or been forced to "fight", and it has made him unsafe). After working with him for nearly a month, he would still try to strike you when you would walk up to catch him. My husband said enough was enough, I wasn't allowed to mess with him any more.

So, that said (I'm rambling; sorry). I will logically evaluate, along with the vet, Cuz's probability of having a good comfortable pain free life. I'm letting you in on a little secret here
default_wink.png
, when I went to look at Cuz, I promised my husband that if I brought him home I would get him on his feet and re-home him as soon as possible. Well, the secret is, I think even after one night, my husband is already attached to him
default_new_shocked.gif
. So, if we do put all this time and effort into him, and he's able to be comfortable without chronic pain, he just may have that forever home right here with us. As far as finding a home in this area, I don't think I would even try. We're in "cowboy" (the sarcasm just doesn't come through the computer does it?) country here, and the locals are happy to have there horses feet done once a year. In other words I just don't think I'd find someone who would give him the care he needs, the resources just aren't here (farriers in particular). In the even that he does need to be re-homed, I will start advertising his availablility in Southern and Eastern Idaho, where there would be adequate resources available to keep him doing well. As for guaranteeing a good home, I don't think any of us ever can. I can do my best to try to make sure that the new owners would be knowledgable, kind, fair and loving, but in the end we can't guarantee how another human will treat a horse. That's the simple reason I don't breed horses EVER, unless it's a foal for myself.

As far as him being "worth" saving, his great big personality is what he's got going for him right now. We are smokers, but not in the house with our kids, so we go out to our garage (still terrible, I know). My big horses come in, eat grain, hang out and generally be a nuisance. So, we decided to bring Cuz in last night to get to know him a little better. He was just like a kid in a candy store, with just a little handful of grain. He buzzed around the place dragging his hind right leg, and never missed a beat. Just like he knew he hasn't been dealt a great hand in life, but happy to be here none the less. The killer was when he walked up behind my husband, who was seated in a "camp chair), and rested his head on my hubby's shoulder
default_wub.png
. I'm pretty sure that's when "Mr. Pants of the Family" melted
default_laugh.png
. This big hearted little horse, HAS been loved at some point in his life!!!

I'll let you all know what happens with the vet this afternoon! THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!!!

I'm letting you in on a little secret here
default_wink.png
, when I went to look at Cuz, I promised my husband that if I brought him home I would get him on his feet and re-home him as soon as possible. Well, the secret is, I think even after one night, my husband is already attached to him
default_new_shocked.gif
. . . . . we decided to bring Cuz in last night to get to know him a little better. He was just like a kid in a candy store, with just a little handful of grain. He buzzed around the place dragging his hind right leg, and never missed a beat. Just like he knew he hasn't been dealt a great hand in life, but happy to be here none the less. The killer was when he walked up behind my husband, who was seated in a "camp chair), and rested his head on my hubby's shoulder
default_wub.png
. I'm pretty sure that's when "Mr. Pants of the Family" melted
default_laugh.png
. This big hearted little horse, HAS been loved at some point in his life!!!
Sounds to me like Cuz has let you in on a secret, the way that minis can wrap a themselves around your heart!
default_yes.gif

I have three minis, each of them as different as they can be (yep, the one in my avatar is a mini mule.) Sometimes, I wonder how I ever thought my life was complete without them. Even my husband has succumbed to their charm, he who can take horses or leave them!

Heartiest of kudos to you for getting involved in this little guy's life. Hopefully, the visit with the vet will go well, and Cuz's issues will prove to be fixable. It may be that the stifle problem and the hoof situation are interlocked, and getting his feet in order will help the stifles as well. Many of us have learned to do our own minis' feet, because it has proved difficult to find farriers that will/can do them properly. Maybe your farrier can show you how to rasp Cuz's foot to keep it level between trims.

And - oh yes - welcome to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys, it's a good (not great) prognosis! My vet evaluated him at four this afternoon, and although she doesn't have much experience with mini's, she agrees with me that he is a dwarf. He's not as bad as some I've seen (pics on the internet), but definitely shows the common characteristics.

He's scheduled for gelding tomorrow and I'll pick him up tomorrow afternoon. The stifle issue is kind of a "lesser of two evil's" decision to make. It is severe the way he is now, and my vet thinks she "may" be able to "help" correct the problem by clipping one of the ligaments (I don't know the particular terms), however, as some of you may know, it will result in artheritis "eventually". Hence, "lesser of two evils". We were going to take x-rays today, but since I just picked him up yeserday I have not been able to "completely" groom him yet. My vet can't take films until I get the caked on manure off of him (yup it was that bad). I'll start grooming the beginning of next week (give him some time to start recouping from gelding), but if it starts hurting him (he's matted BAD!!!
default_no.gif
) then we've decided to wait three to four weeks for warm enough weather to body clip him (I have a foal blanky that will fit him if that's the case).

His hoof will also play a major part in the equation, and my vet thinks she can help me learn to rasp and trim him myself, but we may also have to build up the outside with hoof filler. Personally that's a little nerve racking for me; even though I know hoof structure, proper angles, conformation and anatomy I would be concerned about doing things correctly. I'll trim a big horse any day, but these little guys seem to me like a brand new baby - too breakable LOL! I guess anything would be better than the 6 inch clod hoppers he's getting around on now though.

His knees are the least of our concerns and don't seem to give him any trouble at all, so that's some great news
default_wink.png

Other than that, I'm feeling much more optimistic about Cuz's future
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
. I'll let you all know how things go when we're ablel to take films, hopefully by the middle to end of next week! So, if it's your thing, maybe keep Cuz in your prayers and we'll hope that the xrays reveal "FIXABLE"
default_pray.gif
! I'll also get pictures up just as soon as possible.

Earlier when I read how he put his head on your hubby, it brought tears to my eyes.

Reading your posts my feeling is

(you're not allowed to protest this comment)

YOU are AWESOME!
default_yes.gif

I hope he comes back from the vet with the best of news.
default_smile.png
He sounds like a really special little guy. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of him.
default_biggrin.png

Back