Regumate Info.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'sMinis

Reaction score
Hi...I have been reading prior posts and info on regumate to sustain a pregnancy. I have a few questions I need help with.

Little history...luckily, I have never had a mare needing regumate until now. I acquired a mare who is 10 yrs old and have some info on her. Her first pregnancy was normal. The second year she did not take? absorb?...don't know, but she was with the stallion and no baby. The vet suggested regumate and she was on it for 2 consecutive pregnancies the entire time and was successful...2 fillies.

Last year, she was with the stallion all season, no regumate and she is not pregnant. Her previous owner said...without a doubt use regumate. I knew that and I am fine with it, she's a such nice mare and has had nice babies.

So...for my questions.

1) When do I start her on it?

2) Some of the posts from 2008 said to wean them off prior to foaling, other posts said not to. What is the current recommendations for stopping ?

3) I know it's given daily, orally at 1 cc/110 #...what if I forget a day or two?

I know the safety concerns for humans and I will be wearing gloves...can do without cramps...lol.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I would ask the previous owner this one as they obviously had her figured out if she carried two foals for them.

2) Also a question for previous owners. I can tell you though that my vet had me give it until my mare gave birth and yes they can foal while they are on it. I have a friend whos mare can be weaned off it starting at day 120.

3) DO NOT forget even one day!! This could very well cause a very heartbreaking result. Also if the previous owners tell you that she needs it (for example) from day 2 to day 120, then day 2 she would get full dose, at day 120 I would decrease by 2/10ths cc (.2cc) per day until she is down to 0. DO NOT just stop cold turkey unless she has already foaled.

I did not start my mare on Regumate until she was a few months pregnant (don't remember the exact time) but I am also not convinced the needed the Regumate. The first pregnancy I used it I know I started it late, like late winter when she was due in May and the next time was earlier I just don't remember when. Both times I used it I made sure she got it every day, and always by me. I kept it up until the foaled. Even though I am old enough not to have to really worry about the effects, I did wear gloves and handled it very carefully. Those are the best two foals we have had here, so worth all the trouble and expense.

I personally do not use Regumate often this way and I believe it is not needed in most cases. With that being said;

1) Ultrasound at day 14, if pregnant and if CL seems inadequate

2) Run a Progesterone and start Regumate, if test results are under 4mg/dl

3) Continue Regumate until day 120 which is the time at which the placenta produces its own progesterone and the CL isn't needed anymore.

Dr. Taylor

Latest posts

Back